Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
The Sukkah of complaint

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 1:47 pm
A neighbor in our building says his sukkah porch is too smalll and wants to use the common area for his sukkah. the area where the little kids play.

I think it willbe too noisy and dirty and voted no. the board will make the final decision,b ut was it mean for me to voice my concern?

it'll be right over my head, where I sleep. and he's expecting a really big crowd - my suggetion of the women eating inside, was not met happily!

yoyosma

Post Fri, Aug 25 2006, 2:54 pm
No, I think you are absolutely right.
I have the same situation, or had it. I live on the first floor and people have made Sukkahs right by my kitchen window, and then they asked me if they could use my electricity for the light! I actually did it, threaded and taped the wire to my outlet above my sinks...never again! It was such a fire hazard.
A few years ago, a neighbor wanted to build a Sukkah on the grassy area in FRONT of our building- right by my windows. I told him straight out that if he does that, I will call the management and complain, that it was not fair to have a Sukkah RIGHT BY MY ENTIRE APT! Its bad enough to hear noise from the kitchen area.....
Anyway, point being, you did the right thing.

Last edited by yoyosma on Fri, Aug 25 2006, 2:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Motek

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:39 am
your concerns are noise and dirt

why not write out exactly what he would have to do in order to satisfy you so that you would agree to his having the succa there?

you can say you will allow it on a trial basis for this year but if he does not comply with whatever guidelines you set up, then it's the first and last time he can do it

southernbubby

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 10:48 am
When people are using your electricity, are they paying for it? Also, not everyone is lucky enough to stay home from work for the whole week and need to get some rest. Are they not allowed to protect their peace and quiet and privacy?

Pickle Lady

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 12:37 pm
yoyosma wrote:
A few years ago, a neighbor wanted to build a Sukkah on the grassy area in FRONT of our building- right by my windows. I told him straight out that if he does that, I will call the management and complain, that it was not fair to have a Sukkah RIGHT BY MY ENTIRE APT!

crazy...what people don't think you have a life and want to hear from them all night!!!!!!

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Aug 27 2006, 12:41 pm
I also suggested that the roof was available; of course it's on the 6th floor...

Anyway, the Board decided no private sukkas should be built on shared space.

They said they'd still "work somethign out", but I don't see how...

ButterflyGarden

Post Sat, Sep 02 2006, 4:02 pm
Also, you are not preventing him from doing the mitzvah. As you said, he has a sukka porch, he just wants a bigger one. The chesed of having many guests is no chesed if done at the expense of others.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics