Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Really resented the rain!
1  2  Next

LondonIma

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 5:30 am
Walking to shul (for the first time in MONTHS- we were away R'H and have no eruv in town) in the pouring rain I had a major "seriously?!?" moment. I mean come on! why make it hard for some people to be v'samachta b'chagecha by having it POUR on succos- I totaly dont get it- DH called me an apikores for going on about it. I'm not (I hope) but did resent the weather and was sad that my kids couldnt eat in the Succah and sad that I was HAPPIER inside on yomtov than I would have been outside. I'm not the only one who feels this way am I????

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 5:37 am
This is a perfect example of why Jews should live in Israel, where - although it's hot - there is never a weather excuse not to sit in the Sukka. The Chagim are planned around the weather of EY, and not chu"l.

sarahd

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 5:43 am
Tamiri, we were SUFFOCATING in our sukkah. I thought I was going to pass out from the heat. As I said, "I'm not going to kick the door on my way out, but I can't sit here even one minute more."

chanchy123

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 5:44 am
sarahd wrote:
Tamiri, we were SUFFOCATING in our sukkah. I thought I was going to pass out from the heat. As I said, "I'm not going to kick the door on my way out, but I can't sit here even one minute more."

learn from my parents - put fans in the sukah.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 5:44 am
Us too but at least no rain.

c.c.cookie

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 5:48 am
sarahd wrote:

Yeah, that was my reaction, too. At least if it rained we'd have a reason to go inside. Instead we sat and suffocated in our sukkah, dripping sweat into our food (okay, I'm exaggerating, and it's gross, but you get the point). Ane we have no room for a fan in our sukkah.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 5:51 am
we only got rained out one meal and a half. the rest were fine. A little chilly especially at night, but with a coat or shawl we were good.

LondonIma

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:12 am
Tamiri I think I theory I agree with you, and wish more than anything that I could be there, but... we all have our reasons and circumstances which prevent us fulfulling that mitzvah- I believe though, that all those circumstances are pre-ordained and noone knows them better than HIM so, the rain (which did only prevent us from one meal) did feel like a slap in the face (and yes, it probably was meant to be!) It was the only day I made it to shul (DS has dreaded bug like everyone else seems to have) and kept him home 2nd day- so felt like the ONE day I was able to get out, was miserable! We also hd a discussion over dnner about rain covers, when Bnai Yisrael were travelling through Mitzraim they put Schach on their Sukkot- one reason we do today, BUT... if they had been travelling in the rain forest surely they would have had a more rain cover like roof- so if they built their roof out of the needs for the circumstances they had, why can I not build mine for my needs? We do have a rain cover by the way... but were discussing the various views held on using one- I know I know, apicores again... I promise I'm not, still following the rules, just wondering why its so hard to do so sometimes.

Raisin

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:18 am
you are allowed to eat inside when raining, so you can certainly eat in a sukka with a rain cover when it is raining. (actually dh does not eat except in the sukka...so poor guy sat at the table and did not eat when we were inside. He kept running out to grab bites in the sukka)

alas we had no raincover...but this is a good reason to have one.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:18 am
I wasn't critisizing, stam I was reminding what the chagim are based on.

LondonIma

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:23 am
Tamiri- I didnt think you were criticizing, you're right! If it were that simple I would have no reason to be complaining and then the choice to sit in the rain would be mine, unfortunately its not and for whatever reasons we're "stuck" here for the time being. I look forward to the day I can post "I resent the heat on sukkos"!!!

lilacdreams

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:27 am
Tamiri wrote:
This is a perfect example of why Jews should live in Israel, where - although it's hot - there is never a weather excuse not to sit in the Sukka. The Chagim are planned around the weather of EY, and not chu"l.

uhm call me an apikores but after first course at lunch I went inside before I FAINTED from the heat.....sorry, but intense heat isn't pleasant either.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:27 am
LondonIma wrote:
Tamiri- I didnt think you were criticizing, you're right! If it were that simple I would have no reason to be complaining and then the choice to sit in the rain would be mine, unfortunately its not and for whatever reasons we're "stuck" here for the time being. I look forward to the day I can post "I resent the heat on sukkos"!!!
Very Happy

lilacdreams

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:28 am
......and we did have a fan in the sukka......did nothing.

LondonIma

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:36 am
Lilac- sorry to hear the heat was so strong! If I'd have been there I assume I'd have felt as annoyed as I did about the rain. I do with my whole hear WANT to enjoy every aspect of every yomtov- but I feel like with most things Hashem controlls the weather and decided how how hot/rainy etc it would be for all of us, its at that point I ask WHY? (and here's the comment that got me branded) it seems really shallow to me that Hashem should need me to sruggle so much through a mitzva- is it any less of a mitzvah if I myself actually derived some pleasure from it? If not why is the horrendous weather necessary. p.s. not looking to be bashed for questioning Hashem.... I'm just wihning about the weather.

LondonIma

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 6:36 am
Lilac- sorry to hear the heat was so strong! If I'd have been there I assume I'd have felt as annoyed as I did about the rain. I do with my whole hear WANT to enjoy every aspect of every yomtov- but I feel like with most things Hashem controlls the weather and decided how how hot/rainy etc it would be for all of us, its at that point I ask WHY? (and here's the comment that got me branded) it seems really shallow to me that Hashem should need me to sruggle so much through a mitzva- is it any less of a mitzvah if I myself actually derived some pleasure from it? If not why is the horrendous weather necessary. p.s. not looking to be bashed for questioning Hashem.... I'm just wihning about the weather.

est

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 7:21 am
I don't think of it so much as a slap in the face. more as a reminder that we are in galus and nothing is completely the way it should be ideally, even mitzvos are harder. there were so many times in our history when yidden were unable to purchase an esrog or build a sukkah at all and although the rain is dissapointing I feel lucky that we are free and able to keep these mitzvos to the best of our ability, with the weather being the only deterent. the rain makes me long for moshiach when we will all be oleh regel and truly rejoice at the extra closeness in our connection with Hashem that the chag brings us.

Ruchel

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 7:48 am
The weather has been weeeiiird.... I've been thinking hard of those who have to eat in the suka! (((hugs)))

yo'ma

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 8:22 am
B"h, the weather was beautiful here. We didn't even think of the weather, like it's hot, cold, etc...

mama-star

Post Sun, Sep 26 2010, 9:13 am
LondonIma wrote:
Walking to shul (for the first time in MONTHS- we were away R'H and have no eruv in town) in the pouring rain I had a major "seriously?!?" moment. I mean come on! why make it hard for some people to be v'samachta b'chagecha by having it POUR on succos- I totaly dont get it- DH called me an apikores for going on about it. I'm not (I hope) but did resent the weather and was sad that my kids couldnt eat in the Succah and sad that I was HAPPIER inside on yomtov than I would have been outside. I'm not the only one who feels this way am I????

it rained here too where I live, and we all stayed in the sukkah in the rain. the first day it was fun, and the kids all played in our backyard and had a blast. the second day we stayed in the rainy sukkah too, but I was kinda like "eh, I'm over it already." I will say that the schach was plentiful and definitely helped somewhat as an "umbrella."

londonima, I don't think you are an apikores. being angry and upset with G-d over the rain on sukkos is acknowledging Him as the creator of the rain, and shows you have an emotional relationship with Him. when you love someone and are in a long-term relationship with them, it's natural to get angry.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics