Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
First things you did after the 3 days were out?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

dee's mommy

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 11:35 pm
Dishes, dishes and more dishes. I think I just finished. (Though, I am not entirely sure). Rolling Eyes

Actually, before I did that, I brushed my teeth, changed into "dishwashing clothes", and took the diapers down for laundry to start a load. Then after havdallah, I looked at the sink and decided to call my mother (there was pressing family news I needed to hear anyway.) After that, it was dishes dishes dishes.

mama mia

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 11:36 pm
ef wrote:
have no prob with ppl taking showers or doing anything after finding out how and if its allowed- was just the way the reply was worded that begged this question.

ok I got the sources. R'ma on Shulchan Orach simun taf kuf yud alef siif bet. Not to wash half of the body on yom tov. R' Moshe matired washing body (not hair) with Cold water in circumstances of extreme discomfort such as heavy sweating.

So far contemporary mainstream american poskim have not come out and said that washing the whole body is now a universal need.

It is possible that sfardim hold differently as well as other countries, although I believe it's stricter in Israel.

kitov

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 12:03 am
I'm chassidish, and always shower on YT. I don't consider myself any less valuable than dishes, so I wash myself likewise. Warm water, then turn a scoopful of bodywash into lather and shmear it on all hairless body parts. I rinse and pat dry.

Postpartum, I do a sponge bath on shabbos. I fill a couple of pitchers with hot water from the perculator, mix it w/cold water, lather liquid soap, and rinse.

Some of us are super sensitive.

And yes, the first thing I did motzei was shower...

Marion

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:19 am
Use my friend's Wii Fit! (Her DH drove my DH and my 2 oldest home...) 2 loads of laundry. And showered. And yes, we showered Friday afternoon l'kavod Shabbat (no hairwashing here), but the hour (plus)-long walk around the wadi immediately following the shower, and the 2 hour (or so) walk Shabbat afternoon probably nullified the effects of the shower.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:25 am
mama mia wrote:
ef wrote:
have no prob with ppl taking showers or doing anything after finding out how and if its allowed- was just the way the reply was worded that begged this question.

ok I got the sources. R'ma on Shulchan Orach simun taf kuf yud alef siif bet. Not to wash half of the body on yom tov. R' Moshe matired washing body (not hair) with Cold water in circumstances of extreme discomfort such as heavy sweating.

So far contemporary mainstream american poskim have not come out and said that washing the whole body is now a universal need.

It is possible that sfardim hold differently as well as other countries, although I believe it's stricter in Israel.
And we all know that mainstream American poskim have the last word, right? In general, Americans tend to wash less than Israelis so for them, it may not be such a horrible thing to go unwashed for three days. I think that the smell in shul is a bizayon, but I am not an American Posek so I don't count. In any event, in a country where showering twice a day in the summer is quite normal and needed, showering on YT is a tzorech haguf and not a luxury, by any stretch of the imagination. I think it's tzorech haguf anywhere you live but that's just me. Just the thought of not showering causes me extreme discomfort. On YK, when we have a mitzva of inui haguf vehanefesh, this is appropriate. Not on RH.

ValleyMom

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:32 am
I went shopping... Marshalls and Target and when I came home my hero of a husband had the dishwasher going, the washing machine going, the dining room all cleaned AND... the body of the sukkah is all up.

I believe I win for world's best husband...

OMG I believe I just bragged 24 hours after Rosh Hashana.. sorrrrrry

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:36 am
mama mia wrote:
ef wrote:

as you yourself said, maybe people hold differently.

america is not THE only place to get a tshuva or take a shower.

many many many many people (even in america) do take full showers on yom tov.

mama mia

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 10:08 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
mama mia wrote:
ef wrote:

as you yourself said, maybe people hold differently.

america is not THE only place to get a tshuva or take a shower.

many many many many people (even in america) do take full showers on yom tov.

Absolutely. I was just attempting to answer a question posed.

Sherri

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 12:57 pm
kitov wrote:
I don't consider myself any less valuable than dishes, so I wash myself likewise.
(I would hope that's not what your halachic basis for showering is. There are ways in halacha to wash up, but nothing to do with your cheshbon. Confused )

Purplehair

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:17 pm
1. said "Baruch Hamavdil" (yeah, I know that's a given)
2. Turned off the stovetop.
3. Turned off the plata
4. Brought in the mail
5. Listened to Husband's havdallah
6. Got daughter to wash dishes
7. Got son to shower.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:39 pm
I turned the fan off- I was freezing all yomtov!

pina colada

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:49 pm
washed dishes
gave everyone baths, made sure they took showers
showered
served melave malka

freshie

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 1:58 pm
ran to Mikvah! Tongue Out Cheers

shev

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 2:46 pm
[quote="Tamiri"]
mama mia wrote:
ef wrote:

And we all know that mainstream American poskim have the last word, right? In general, Americans tend to wash less than Israelis so for them, it may not be such a horrible thing to go unwashed for three days. I think that the smell in shul is a bizayon, but I am not an American Posek so I don't count. In any event, in a country where showering twice a day in the summer is quite normal and needed, showering on YT is a tzorech haguf and not a luxury, by any stretch of the imagination. I think it's tzorech haguf anywhere you live but that's just me. Just the thought of not showering causes me extreme discomfort. On YK, when we have a mitzva of inui haguf vehanefesh, this is appropriate. Not on RH.[/q

Oh gosh, as an american living in Israel. I am horrified of the way people take care of themselves in this country. You go on a bus and it smells of sweat, you walk in the street and you pass people who smell like they didnt shower for days on end. Americans take more care than themselves than that. I never had that when living in America. You are someone who showers twice daily, but the majority in this country does not.

Liba

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:01 pm
shev wrote:

Oh gosh, as an american living in Israel. I am horrified of the way people take care of themselves in this country. You go on a bus and it smells of sweat, you walk in the street and you pass people who smell like they didnt shower for days on end. Americans take more care than themselves than that. I never had that when living in America. You are someone who showers twice daily, but the majority in this country does not.

Shev I am with you!

I grew up among American's who shower (at least) daily and wear deodorant and it was culture shock (as well as stomach turning) to come here and have to deal with BO armpits in my face on the bus.

My mother comments on the European showering habits people seem to have here, based on odor, when she comes to visit. LOL She blames it on the water crisis.

The only smelly Americans I knew were mentally unstable ones.

SavtaHelen

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:48 pm
First thing was to start running the washing machine.

Then, my GS and I made pancakes because we read a Curious George story about a pancake festival all day long, over and over again!

Then, after DS and DIL and two GK left, I started:

washing floors
scrubbing countertops
vacuuming
cleaning refrigerator and freezing leftovers
putting Mahzorim away (it drives me nuts that they are always left out for days on the piano downstairs)
throwing out newspapers

Gmar Hatima Tova

Tamiri

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 3:56 pm
shev wrote:

I will tell you: I showered last night and washed my hair. I showered this am. Then I had to run my kid up to gan - and it's hot, as you know. And it's uphill, as you also probably know. And then I had to get a battery for my car. And walk in the heat to the cash machine. And wait in the heat for the job to be done. And you know what? I got to work and I smelled. My clothes were all freshly laundered when I put them on this am. Everything but the brassiere is 100% cotton. I wear cotton socks. So no smelly polyesters. I had taken those showers mentioned. But with all the running around - and with a car, it's a lot less than your average bus rider - and in this heat, it's a fact of life: a person starts to smell. Even a clean person. It's just the way it is here. When we got to Israel my mother thought it's that Israelis don't use deodorant (they didn't back then) or the women don't shave their pits (they didn't then) or they don't do laundry (they did). We knew it wasn't the lack of showering. It's just the climate. And thus, you need to shower. A lot. Even on YT.

mama mia

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 7:49 pm
freshie wrote:
ran to Mikvah! Tongue Out Cheers

LOL

pumpernickle

Post Sun, Sep 12 2010, 9:14 pm
Applied lip therapy to my chapped lips (ughh)
scrubbed my face with exfoliating cleanser.

smilethere

Post Mon, Sep 13 2010, 6:34 am
Brush my teeth
Run a bath for the kids
Put kids to sleep
havdala
husbands shower
sorting through mail
washed/dried dishes
swept floors and packed away toys
showered
went to bed