Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
First things you did after the 3 days were out?
1  2  3  4  Next

KAlex

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:34 am
1. Shower
2. Clean the bathroom sink, which had somehow managed to get more disgusting since just Wednesday than I've ever seen it before, I don't know how (even after a week - or more!)
3. Havdala

There's still some of the regular Motzei Shabbat stuff to do, but the first two I couldn't bear to leave undone even minutes longer than I had to. Anyone else want to share?

Those in Chu"l have two more 3-dayers to go in Tishrei. Have fun!

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:40 am
We showered on chag and have a/c so that WOULD have been the first if needed.
Filled my candles for next week (I always do that motzash)
Threw in a load of laundry
Vacuumed my br, the stairs and then handed it over to someone else to do the common areas
Put away the dishes and cutlery

Oh.... and called the Maytag man. He was here TWICE before YT to replace the igniter, which makes the oven work. Both times it worked for a while, and then stopped. We had left the oven on for YT and wouldn't you know it - it went out Thurs morning. Fortunately, experience has taught me to have a back-up plan on these long holidays, and we were able to use the plata (we had it going on and off in the am and pm, so we just had to extend the "on" hours). I don't do any cooking on YT so it wasn't like I needed the oven for anything other than heating, thank G-d!!!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:55 am
we also took showers on yom tov, so the first thing I did was throw in the laundry so its all set to be done before I leave the house tomorrow morning. then I turned off all unnecessary electrical things (plata, some fans that had been on all the way through the yom tov)

LisaS

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 12:32 pm
1) Bathe the kids
2) Start load of laundry
3) Havdalla
3) Put kids to bed
4) dishes, pack up/freeze leftovers

fiddle

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 12:36 pm
showered, and went to the doc..

kids sick for three days straight.... im tired..

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 12:37 pm
fiddle wrote:

Crying That's awful. A lot of people not well.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 12:39 pm
fiddle wrote:

fiddle, me too. ive been sick the whole time too. what is wrong with your kids? there must be stuff going around. refuah sheleima.

fiddle

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 12:41 pm
croup and fever started right after we went to sleep the first night.. my daughter was hardly breathing.. stupid me I was debating whether or not to call hatzala... ended up we got through it. hopefully the worst has passed Smile

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 12:46 pm
fiddle wrote:
croup and fever started right after we went to sleep the first night.. my daughter was hardly breathing.. stupid me I was debating whether or not to call hatzala... ended up we got through it. hopefully the worst has passed Smile
oy, so sorry for your daughter. may she have a speedy recovery.

ef

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 12:53 pm
bathe everyone & laundry!
gemar chasima tova to everyone!

btw how do u take ur showers on yomtov?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 12:57 pm
ef wrote:

water and liquid soap. We're MO so it's okay. In our sect, smelling and being sticky and ruining the simchat YT are worse than taking a shower. Seriously. Growing up in Israel, my parents didn't shower and it was disgusting. I used to sneak a shpritz - everyone else showered. This is NOT simchat chag.

fiddle

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 12:58 pm
lol tamiri. and shabbat. thanks. you too Smile feel better.

KAlex

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 1:01 pm
I will just add that we did *wash* on Yom Tov, but it's not the same as a proper shower, even though it hopefully prevented us from being actively unpleasant... Wink

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 1:07 pm
Tamiri wrote:
ef wrote:

water and liquid soap. We're MO so it's okay. In our sect, smelling and being sticky and ruining the simchat YT are worse than taking a shower. Seriously. Growing up in Israel, my parents didn't shower and it was disgusting. I used to sneak a shpritz - everyone else showered. This is NOT simchat chag.
about showering, I learned that you are allowed to shower, as tamiri said, and then you just have to sort of drip dry your hair or at least not wring it out.

shosh

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 1:11 pm
Got the kids showered and bedded.
Put on washing
Washed up the millions of dirty tubs and saucepans that appeared even though I used disposable this year.
Gave the kitchen and salon floors a quick wash
cleaned the toilets
Now it's time to get some computer work done ...

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 1:12 pm
And now my kitchen floor has been mopped (like a YT shower: does the job but it's not like a good watery sponga), 2 leftover things have been frozen, all the dishes washed, the boys' bathroom has been bleached, DH and son at slichot and all is well. BH. Ahhhhhh.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 1:13 pm
shosh wrote:
Got the kids showered and bedded.
Put on washing
Washed up the millions of dirty tubs and saucepans that appeared even though I used disposable this year.
Gave the kitchen and salon floors a quick wash
cleaned the toilets

Now it's time to get some computer work done ...
Shosh, you've turned into such an Israeli! Shanna tova umetuka!

ef

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 1:21 pm
Quote:

now I relly dont want to preach/bash etc anyone here, but just wondering.... do u also drive to shul on yomtov cos it relly wouldnt be simchas chag to walk all the way uphill to get there, or turn on lights that went off cos simchas hachag is def not sitting in the dark???
hope I dont come across too strong- just the reply sounded like u decide wat constitutes ur simchat hacag. just seriously wondering if MO pick and choose wat is simchat hachag or if u find out if its kehalacha?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 1:27 pm
I knew this question would come up.
There is nothing halachically wrong with showering, if you do it right.
Do you go to the mikva on Shabbat? Dry off with a towel? Hmmmm... if it's assur, then how is it muttar? There are many permutations to halacha.
And yes, for some, driving to shul is their simchat chag. If their halacha allows it - they can do it. We won't call them Chareidi or even MO, but they are Jews doing their chag to the best of their ability.
Our whole lives are a game of pick and choose, with halacha as our guidance.
Some Rabbanim say that internet is assur.......

Shuly

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 1:27 pm
Chareidi poskim also allow showers - you just have to know how to do it. Wash one body part at a time, no shmearing soap or shampoo, and no squeezing out wet hair - basically, you have to drip dry.

edited to add - you can pour liquid soap and shampoo on your body
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics