Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
First things you did after the 3 days were out?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

ef

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 4:32 pm
have no prob with ppl taking showers or doing anything after finding out how and if its allowed- was just the way the reply was worded that begged this question.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 4:33 pm
Shuly wrote:
Chareidi poskim also allow showers - you just have to know how to do it. Wash one body part at a time, no shmearing soap or shampoo, and no squeezing out wet hair - basically, you have to drip dry.

edited to add - you can pour liquid soap and shampoo on your body
Who said Judaism isn't evolving? It is! Standards have changed. It's no longer acceptable socially to walk around reeking to high heavens. And Rabbanim, working within the framework of halacha, have ways of making life more pleasant for us and those around us. Judaism isn't here to punish us. It's a living religion that eventually keeps up with the times. Shuly, thanks for posting. I was SURE that the fancy Chareidi ladies I know would not walk around without a shower for three days; I just didn't know what they could rely on to get that shower. Once a Rav gives a stamp of approval, it's a free-for-all!

Raisin

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 4:39 pm
if washing my hands is allowed, what is wrong with washing the rest of my body? I don't take showers, (al;though I know it is allowed) but I do wash myself.

as for me the first things I did were: turn on dishwasher, put on laundry, make havdala, and heat up some leftover roast.

shalhevet

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 5:07 pm
Raisin - it's not the same, washing your entire body.

But, yes, you are allowed to shower under certain conditions - consult Shemiras Shabbos Kehilchasa or your LOR (yes, we showered).

freidasima

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 5:27 pm
Why do you have to even wet your hair when you shower if you are a woman (and especially if you cover your hair?) I shower on yuntif, rinse off with water and very liquidy soap, from the neck down. I do not wash my face in the shower but rather at the sink, I wash the back of my neck and the front of my neck but wear a shower cap and my hair never gets wet. It's not a problem to shower at pi din at least on yuntif, so I was always taught...

Raisin

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 5:30 pm
freidasima wrote:
Why do you have to even wet your hair when you shower if you are a woman (and especially if you cover your hair?) I shower on yuntif, rinse off with water and very liquidy soap, from the neck down. I do not wash my face in the shower but rather at the sink, I wash the back of my neck and the front of my neck but wear a shower cap and my hair never gets wet. It's not a problem to shower at pi din at least on yuntif, so I was always taught...

yes, I don't wash my hair every day anyway so not washing my hair really does not bother me. My body however is a different story.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 5:34 pm
freidasima wrote:
FS, I personally take a shower DAVKA to wash my hair. it gets oily if not washed often (think ever day or every other day if I am really tired) and so I would even just wash my hair and get out of the shower. so, for your questions, thats the reason why I wash my hair on yom tov. I feel terribly gross if I dont wash my hair often so my chag would and is ruined if I dont wash it.

Justlookup

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 5:48 pm
To get back to the original question...Smile
If I was in NY, I would still be in 770 for a good while after Y"T was out, at the Farbrengen, which I absolutely love attending -you leave the Y"T on such a spiritual high...but this year I'm not there, I'm in Europe, so when Shabbos was over, after finishing a heated discussion on chinuch in today's days (conclusion: 99% siyata dishmaya and 1% your Tehillim!), I showered, fed my baby, and heard Havdala, before eating a good meal before the fast tomorrow.

Depressed

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 8:15 pm
ef wrote:
Quote:
water and liquid soap. We're MO so it's okay. In our sect, smelling and being sticky and ruining the simchat YT are worse than taking a shower. Seriously. Growing up in Israel, my parents didn't shower and it was disgusting. I used to sneak a shpritz - everyone else showered. This is NOT simchat chag.

now I relly dont want to preach/bash etc anyone here, but just wondering.... do u also drive to shul on yomtov cos it relly wouldnt be simchas chag to walk all the way uphill to get there, or turn on lights that went off cos simchas hachag is def not sitting in the dark???
hope I dont come across too strong- just the reply sounded like u decide wat constitutes ur simchat hacag. just seriously wondering if MO pick and choose wat is simchat hachag or if u find out if its kehalacha?

Why check Imamother, of course... LOL

Ef, you are picking and chooisng too. My Rov just gave a long Shab Shuva drosha, about always judging a fellow yid lchaf zcus and never hurting someone's feelings. Thats min ha Torah.. Even driving on Yom Tov, might only be a dRobonim..

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 8:23 pm
Brushed my teeth. Gotta look into a Shabbos toothbrush.

Liba

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 8:26 pm
Unplugged the plata, turned off the AC and a bunch of lights, bathed kids (one of them was bathed on yom tov, but the rest were not) and cut my nails.

zehavatov

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 9:11 pm
Got that sheitel off and black blackberry on. Need my imamother!

Mimisinger

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 9:41 pm
turned on the dishwasher. Went and sat back on the couch for the hour before dh came home.

Dini

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 9:42 pm
Turned off the a/c's I was so cold

I showered erev shabbos, you are allowed one limb at a time with liquid soap.

imabima

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:03 pm
dishes/dishwasher, havdala, laundry, preparing for first day of school tomorrow. eek!

sneakermom

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:04 pm
Put cream on my chapped hands. Ran out of vinyl disposable gloves on Yom Tov and my hands got sore from washing dishes!

I sort of get foggy and run down motzei Shabbos and never get much done. My kids are sleeping, so I eat, check imamother, spend time with dh.....and the next morning take care of dishes, toys and mess.

But I absolutely envy those of you that quickly wash the dishes, floors and bathrooms and wake up to a fresh house. YUM.

mama mia

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 10:57 pm
Raisin wrote:
if washing my hands is allowed, what is wrong with washing the rest of my body? I don't take showers, (al;though I know it is allowed) but I do wash myself.

as for me the first things I did were: turn on dishwasher, put on laundry, make havdala, and heat up some leftover roast.

You are allowed to wash up to almost half of your body total with warm water, otherwise you need cold.

As for me, I couldn't wait to tweeze.

mama mia

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 11:04 pm
mama mia wrote:
Raisin wrote:

You are allowed to wash up to almost half of your body total with warm water, otherwise you need cold.

To clarify, one may not wash half the body with warm water and then the other half, it's total. While doing so, you should wear an article of clothing to remind you not to shower your whole body. Tht's while using warm water. You may use cold running water on your whole body (with the exception of washing your hair).

canadamom

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 11:14 pm
washed kitchen and bathroom floors
went through my garbage bags because I lost a diamond from the setting of my diamond ring! (and didn't find it)
showered

gmar chasimah tovah!

louche

Post Sat, Sep 11 2010, 11:30 pm
opened and recycled 4 days' worth of junk mail. urgh!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics