Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur
Cooking cholent on yom tov for shabbos?

goldrose

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 7:34 pm
Hi-
Any ideas how deal with cholent when there's a "3-day yomtov"?
Do you put up your cholent before yom tov and let it cook for three days till Shabbos?
Do you fill your crock pot with water and let the water cook for two days and then add the cholent and allow to cook for one day?
What other options are there?

Thanks!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 7:41 pm
You don't have to use the crockpot.

Liba

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 7:43 pm
We use a pot on an electric plata or on a blech on the stove. I have cholent frozen and waiting in the freezer. It goes in the fridge Thursday evening and into the pot Friday afternoon and onto the plata before Shabbos.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 8:16 pm
I will have my crockpot on, and set on low. The pot insert will be left out of the heating element until I am ready to put up the cholent.
Beans are in the freezer, as is the meat. I will dump those in to the crock on Friday, add barley, onion, garlic and salt. And voila. Cholent.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 8:19 pm
Ditto for me! It took me some sleepless nights to figure that out.

goldrose

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 8:44 pm
thanks for the ideas. much appreciated. never made cholent for a 3-day before.

ksiva vchasima tova to all.
gut yom tov.

Happy18

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 9:17 pm
Never knew you could do this! An amazing idea, I cant wait to try!

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 9:20 pm
I think I will make the entire cholent in the crock before Y"T (I like to have as little work to do on Y"T as possible) and refrigerate it until Friday morning, at which point I will put it up. Do you think raw potatoes will hold out that long in the fridge?

flowerpower

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 9:33 pm
I have a crockpot so will cook a bit tomorrow on high and continue friday afternoon on low till shabbos meal. I will keep the base of the crockpot plugged in three days.

mazelandbracha

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 9:49 pm
I make a "cholent kugel" - usually for Pesach, since there are no beans. The bottom and top are potato kugel, with a layer of onions and flanken in the middle. It cooks in the oven on low overnight. It comes out schmaltzy and yummy and is definitely not healthy. Soooo good.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 9:53 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
I think I will make the entire cholent in the crock before Y"T (I like to have as little work to do on Y"T as possible) and refrigerate it until Friday morning, at which point I will put it up. Do you think raw potatoes will hold out that long in the fridge?
They'll hold up, if they're mixed in with the rest of the ingredients, but they will most definately change color. The good part is that they change color anyway in the cholent, so it shouldn't be a problem.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 10:26 pm
ra_mom wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
They'll hold up, if they're mixed in with the rest of the ingredients, but they will most definately change color. The good part is that they change color anyway in the cholent, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Every week, I make my cholent Thursday night and it stays in the fridge overnight. When I put it on the crockpot Friday morning, the potatoes are the same off-white color as when I peeled them (they are in water). Any chance that might happen over 3 days? Or should I just put the potatoes in Friday morning?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 07 2010, 10:41 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:

Every week, I make my cholent Thursday night and it stays in the fridge overnight. When I put it on the crockpot Friday morning, the potatoes are the same off-white color as when I peeled them (they are in water). Any chance that might happen over 3 days? Or should I just put the potatoes in Friday morning?
I don't know if I would let everything sit raw in water for 3 days. I like to add the water fresh.
If everything was raw anyway, I would probably add freshly peeled potatoes in YT.
Maybe someone else would know?

6yeladim

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 12:36 am
I set the timer on the crockpot so it will go on for only half an hour on the first day, then on Friday I'll extend the times on the timer so as to cook the cholent Friday afternoon through lunch the next day. As per Shmirat Shabbat Kehilchata, CYLOR.

Shana tova.

Liba

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 4:37 am
I had bad experience with putting cold crock pot liners into hot heating elements. I would either leave the liner in the element with plenty of water in it or leave it room temperature, put it in the element and then add the cold ingredients. If you shock the liner it is likely to crack.

6yeladim

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 4:52 am
Liba, good point about the cold liner. I once put a frozen quiche on a hot plate and it cracked.

londoner

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 5:03 am
Put a timer on your crockpot (if you're using one) so it goes off when you don't want it and on when you do. I'm going to make mine on the hob and then put straight on the plata which is what I'd do anyway.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 10:38 am
6yeladim wrote:
I set the timer on the crockpot so it will go on for only half an hour on the first day, then on Friday I'll extend the times on the timer so as to cook the cholent Friday afternoon through lunch the next day. As per Shmirat Shabbat Kehilchata, CYLOR.

Shana tova.

I use a timer every week to turn the thing off shabbos afternoon, but how do you set a timer for 3 dyas to go off at different times? I only have a 24 hour timer.

mamaleh

Post Wed, Sep 08 2010, 2:28 pm
In the past I've also left my crock pot on for 3 days. When I do that I will often make a lamb stew for thursday lunch. One less thing to heat up on the stove and if I use liners I don't even need to wash the crockpot.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Rosh Hashana-Yom Kippur