Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Those long glass cup/bowls
1  2  Next

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 1:47 pm
Ive seen them at lechayims. they are high big bowl looking things that people usually put fruit in. what are they called?

Buddy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 1:57 pm
u mean trifle bowl?

gryp

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 1:58 pm
trifle bowls? Wink

target, kmart, bedbath&beyond for about 10- 15 dollars.

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:01 pm
I dont knwo if thats considered a trifle bowl. I have a trifle bowl, thats a wide bowl but not a big stem. I will try to put a link to a picture.

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:02 pm
http://onlysimchas.com/galleri.....21139

Buddy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:06 pm
I woul call it a large stem or martini glass...

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:11 pm
I just searched that google, but cant find anything that large. any ideas?

chen

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:28 pm
If you mean the glasses holding the diced fruit, those are not trifle bowls. they look like slightly oversize champagne glasses, although it's hard to get a sense of scale with no ppl in the pic. Are they really oversize? They are not martini glasses: those are sort of V-shaped.

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 2:44 pm
still cant find anything similar on line

HatLady

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 4:12 pm
I did a quick google on "giant martini glass" and found quite a bit. I know that you are really looking for a giant wine glass with a shallower than normal bowl, but I figured a martini shape would be similar. On one listserve I saw a lady said that she bought them at TJ Maxx. Another lady suggested finding them at craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's.

I have seen giant martini glasses used at simchas, and it's also quite beautiful. I think that the main objective is the elevation of some of the foods to create visual interest. You can also obtain a similar affect by putting boxes under scrunched up fabric that's draped on the buffet tables, like what was also done in the photo you referenced.

Best of luck!
The HatLady

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 4:28 pm
yeah I saw those in my original search. the thing is though you would need a lot, since it dosnt hold as much as those big ones. thanks though

mumsy23

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 4:44 pm
I think this is what you are looking for but it is quite pricy.

The ones you see at simchas are usually owned by a caterer or were rented from a party gemach type place. They invest a lot to buy them but make their money back by renting them out.

http://www.greatbigstuff.com/wineglass.html

mumsy23

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 4:46 pm
OOOH, they have something more reasonable!

http://www.greatbigstuff.com/c......html

shopaholic

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 9:41 pm
I think I've seen them in a paper goods store on Coney Island Ave between J & K. as far as I remember, they had them in the window.

shayna82

Post Mon, Jul 24 2006, 10:28 pm
thank you mumsy and momof3, thanks for your time.

Im not sure what I want to do at this point with the fruit. maybe fruit on skewers. or just a big nice bowl. I have to think of more ideas to present it. I dont want it on just a platter, even in abowl seems boring. maybe im making too big a deal.

chen

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 10:44 am
shayna82 wrote:
maybe im making too big a deal.

Probably. When all is said and done, no one will remember the details. Maybe one or two women will say the next day "Shayna served fruit in these gorgeous giant champagne glasses" but three weeks later no one will remember anything except that it was a nice affair.

Let me tell you a meiseleh: A certain mother of the bride told all the women in the wedding party to wear blue sling-back pumps-- with 3-inch-heels, no less! The kalloh's sil spent weeks looking all over town for blue sling-back pumps (never mind the height), to no avail. Finally she found a pair of blue sling-back pumps--with 2-inch heels-- that pinched her feet mercilessly. With the chasunoh only a week away and in another state, she gave in and bought the shoes.

Fast forward to the chasunoh. The chosson's sister is wearing high-heel sandals; the kalloh's sister is wearing spectator pumps; the kalloh's other sister--the tall one-- is wearing ballet-style flats; and the kalloh's mother, who issued the instructions about the shoes in the first place, is wearing T-strap shoes to match her gown! The only nebbach wearing sling-back pumps as instructed is the kalloh's sil from out-of-town.

Now how many ppl do you think noticed what any of the women was wearing on her feet? ONE! the kalloh's sil, she of the sling-back pumps.

The story has a happy ending: after the chasunoh, the kalloh's sil gave the pinchy pumps to her best friend, whom they fit perfectly.

Frumom

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 11:18 pm
My sister in law said they have them at Michaels.

lucky

Post Tue, Jul 25 2006, 11:27 pm
I've seen it at Michaels.
They also sell it in the local party goods store.

sweet pickle

Post Wed, Jul 26 2006, 11:10 am
I just made a kiddush for my baby and we bought them at michaels, I bought about three and put cut up fruit in them they really looked great! Wink

shayna82

Post Thu, Jul 27 2006, 1:43 pm
Thanks frumom, sweet pickle and lucky, im running there to see.!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics