Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Rosh Hashana 5771 Menus
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 7:22 pm
Hooray!!!!! got invited out for all 3 lunch meals!!!

challah
simanim
orange soup (yellow split peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, basil or cilantro, garlic
sesame chicken fingers
stringbeans
israeli salad
marinated mushrooms
sushi salad
pomegranate applesauce (make homemade apple sauce and add some pomegranate juice to have a beautiful blush hue)

canadamom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 7:24 pm
Blueberry Muffin wrote:
Hooray!!!!! got invited out for all 3 lunch meals!!!

challah
simanim
orange soup (yellow split peas, sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, basil or cilantro, garlic
sesame chicken fingers
stringbeans
israeli salad
marinated mushrooms
sushi salad
pomegranate applesauce (make homemade apple sauce and add some pomegranate juice to have a beautiful blush hue)

can you please post the sushi salad recipe
thanx! (and your orange soup looks like a great idea)

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 7:25 pm
SorGold wrote:
Wed Night

Savory Cauliflower soup
Saucy Fish balls

Zesty chicken roll ups

creamy garlic salmon
Sweet Apple Lettuce Salad

Sesame Chicken

would you mind sharing these recipes please - your menu looked so very nice and elaborate!!! TIA!!!

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 7:42 pm
canadamom wrote:
Blueberry Muffin wrote:

sushi salad

SUSHI SALAD

* 2 1/4 cups Japanese sushi-style rice
* 3 cups water
* 1/4 cup rice vinegar
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 1 1/4 teaspoons salt

*black sesame seeds or toasted white sesame seeds

*english cucmbers, julienned
*shredded carrots, cut in half, or julliened
*avocado, cut into small chunks
*imitation crab sticks, cut into small chunks
*mango, cut into small chunks

Directions

1. Place rice into a large, deep bowl. Fill with cold water and rub rice together with hands until the water turns milky white. Pour off the cloudy water, being careful not to pour out the rice. Repeat 3 or 4 times until you can see the rice through 3-inches of water.
2. Drain the rice in a fine strainer, then place into a saucepan along with water. Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Stir together rice vinegar, sugar, and salt until dissolved in a small bowl, set aside.
3. Cover, and bring rice to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
4. Scrape rice into a bowl; Stir in vinegar mixture until well incorporated and no lumps of rice remain. Allow to cool at room temperature. Mix in the sesame seeds into the rice.
5. Press down 1/3 of the rice mixture into the bottom of a clear Triffle bowl. Layer 1/2 the vegetables over the rice, another layer of rice, then vegetables, then rice. Smooth out the rice at the top layer. Top rice with black sesame seeds or toasted white sesame seeds.
(I sometimes make some more of the vinegar-sugar-salt mixture and pour it over the vegetable layers as well.)

Serve with a small dipping bowl of soy sauce and a bowl of wasabi sauce.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 7:44 pm
[quote="canadamom"]
Blueberry Muffin wrote:

! (and your orange soup looks like a great idea)

TX - it is soooooo easy - no measuring!!!!
(I am usually lay and just use peeled baby carrots as well!!!!

NativeMom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 7:51 pm
OldYoung, how do you make the mango snow pea salad?

canadamom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 7:57 pm
Blueberry Muffin wrote:
canadamom wrote:
Blueberry Muffin wrote:

sushi salad

SUSHI SALAD

* 2 1/4 cups Japanese sushi-style rice
* 3 cups water
* 1/4 cup rice vinegar
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 1 1/4 teaspoons salt

*black sesame seeds or toasted white sesame seeds

*english cucmbers, julienned
*shredded carrots, cut in half, or julliened
*avocado, cut into small chunks
*imitation crab sticks, cut into small chunks
*mango, cut into small chunks

Directions

1. Place rice into a large, deep bowl. Fill with cold water and rub rice together with hands until the water turns milky white. Pour off the cloudy water, being careful not to pour out the rice. Repeat 3 or 4 times until you can see the rice through 3-inches of water.
2. Drain the rice in a fine strainer, then place into a saucepan along with water. Allow to stand for 30 minutes. Stir together rice vinegar, sugar, and salt until dissolved in a small bowl, set aside.
3. Cover, and bring rice to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to low, and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
4. Scrape rice into a bowl; Stir in vinegar mixture until well incorporated and no lumps of rice remain. Allow to cool at room temperature. Mix in the sesame seeds into the rice.
5. Press down 1/3 of the rice mixture into the bottom of a clear Triffle bowl. Layer 1/2 the vegetables over the rice, another layer of rice, then vegetables, then rice. Smooth out the rice at the top layer. Top rice with black sesame seeds or toasted white sesame seeds.
(I sometimes make some more of the vinegar-sugar-salt mixture and pour it over the vegetable layers as well.)

Serve with a small dipping bowl of soy sauce and a bowl of wasabi sauce.

this sounds great and I'm going to try it. I recently ate at a sushi place a sushi salad that was without rice, just shredded imitation crab, very small diced cucumber, avacado and some kind of rice krispy crunch which I would love to know how to make, with a spicy mayo dressing. it was great, does anyone have an exact recipe???

NativeMom

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 8:14 pm
canadamom wrote:

this sounds great and I'm going to try it. I recently ate at a sushi place a sushi salad that was without rice, just shredded imitation crab, very small diced cucumber, avacado and some kind of rice krispy crunch which I would love to know how to make, with a spicy mayo dressing. it was great, does anyone have an exact recipe???

I would love the recipe too if anyone has it. Someone told me that she actually goes to the resturants that make sushi and orders a container. She said that most offer to sell it, but that's not an option here.

Shopmiami49

Post Sun, Sep 05 2010, 11:21 pm
Dini wrote:
Shopmiami49 wrote:
I posted the mushroom kugel once under shabbos menus... check for it and if you can't find it, I'll re-post it.

Honey roasted potatoes:

You cut up a bunch of potatoes into bite size chunks. Mince a small onion and sprinkle over the potatoes. Mix together 3 Tbsp. honey, 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, and 1 tsp. mustard powder and drizzle over potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and bake covered for 2o minutes and then uncovered until potatoes are soft to the fork prick and crispy on the outside.

are you going to make this before yom tov and warm up on yom tov? I want to serve it second day and thinking how I can do it.

I usually make it before yom tov and heat it up covered, but with a tiny corner of the foil up. They don't stay as crispy, but they still taste good.

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 2:50 am
Mushroom Kugel:

Ingredients

1-1/2 bags (about 18 ounces) egg noodles, cooked and drained
1 medium onion, chopped
2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
6 eggs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup flour
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute mushrooms and onion in small amount of oil until softened (about 8 minutes). Add to noodles. Combine eggs, soy sauce, oil, flour and pepper. Mix well and add to noodle mixture. Pour into 9×13-inch pan and bake for about 45 minutes.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 7:36 am
suzyq wrote:
I don't want to leave a burner on my stove on, but I would love to have soup for the 2nd night. Is there any way to have hot soup for the 2nd night without leaving a burner on? I'll have a crock pot, my oven and probably my hot plate to use. How can I heat soup up quickly enough without using the stove top? Or is there any soup I could put in the crock pot before Rosh Hashana starts that wouldn't be a mess by the time the 2nd night rolls around?

I bought a $10 elevtrical (plug in) single burner in CVS. I plug it into a timer and I will have it turn on b4 candle lighting - this way - I can heat up soup on the second night after candlelighting, and I can also heat up soup b4 shabbos - and then transfer it to the hot plate b4 shabbos - and then u have the burner go offan hour later.
I do this for all the yomim tovim bc I too dont like to have a flame left on, but always like hot soup at night.

NativeMom

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 7:43 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
Mushroom Kugel:

Ingredients

1 medium onion, chopped
6 eggs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup flour
Preparation

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Saute mushrooms and onion in small amount of oil until softened (about 8 minutes). Add to noodles. Combine eggs, soy sauce, oil, flour and pepper. Mix well and add to noodle mixture. Pour into 9×13-inch pan and bake for about 45 minutes.

I made this before and it was a hit! I was all set to make it on Friday, had the mushrooms sauted and noodles boiled and DH sees it and says "I can't have mushrooms!". He's on this diet now and mushrooms is not on the his list of foods he can eat. I'm always looking for different kugel ideas and this on is a good one Wink

hycup

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 8:15 am
First night RH 5771
Fried sole (Fish)
Fish Head - (Rosh) we just point to it

Pumpkin soup (Kara)

Honey glazed turkey breast with carrots (Gezer)
Stuffed Cabbage (Karti)
Spinach Patties (Silka)
Layered Mexican Salad (Rubia)

Fruit salad (with cut up Dates and Pomegranate)
Apple dipped in honey (Tapuach Bidvash)
Honey cake
Date Newtons

Lunch - Eating out

2nd night RH
Chicken soup with kreplach (very maybe - have to ask DH if he wants)

Roasted chicken with Silaan
Onion kugel
Stir fried vegies

Mint parve ice cream
honey brownies

Lunch
Gespacho soup

Roasted Beef
Two toned potatos
Mushoom kugel
Carrot kugel

Left over desserts

Shabbos - eating out

Eiruv tavshilin
Boiled egg
Whole wheat RH challa

ABC

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 9:18 am
Shopmiami49 wrote:
I posted the mushroom kugel once under shabbos menus... check for it and if you can't find it, I'll re-post it.

Honey roasted potatoes:

You cut up a bunch of potatoes into bite size chunks. Mince a small onion and sprinkle over the potatoes. Mix together 3 Tbsp. honey, 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil, and 1 tsp. mustard powder and drizzle over potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and bake covered for 2o minutes and then uncovered until potatoes are soft to the fork prick and crispy on the outside.

How do you mince an onion? In the food processor?

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 9:38 am
ABC wrote:
Shopmiami49 wrote:

Honey roasted potatoes:

How do you mince an onion? In the food processor?

Either like that or with a knife...just do it real small

Mevater

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 10:50 am
ra_mom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
notme wrote:
ra_mom can you please post how you make vegetable turnovers? Sounds so good..
I will find the recipe for you. heffer569 once posted it from the Dining In cook book.

Vegetable Turnovers
• 1 pkg. mini puff pastry squares
• 1 lb. bag frozen stir fry veggies
• 2 eggs
• salt & pepper to taste
• few shakes of garlic powder
• optional, additional spices or herbs to taste

• 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
• sesame seeds

Question- I just got Yitzy's 36 Mini Puff Pastry Squares, will only 1 lb. bag frozen stir fry veggies be enough for 36?

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 11:02 am
NativeMom wrote:
Shopmiami49 wrote:
Mushroom Kugel:

Ingredients

1 medium onion, chopped
6 eggs
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup flour
Preparation

I made this before and it was a hit! I was all set to make it on Friday, had the mushrooms sauted and noodles boiled and DH sees it and says "I can't have mushrooms!". He's on this diet now and mushrooms is not on the his list of foods he can eat. I'm always looking for different kugel ideas and this on is a good one Wink

I've made it without mushrooms, just adding an extra 2 onions and sauteeing them... YUMMY!

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 11:07 am
Mevater wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
notme wrote:
I will find the recipe for you. heffer569 once posted it from the Dining In cook book.

Vegetable Turnovers
• 2 eggs
• salt & pepper to taste

• sesame seeds

Question- I just got Yitzy's 36 Mini Puff Pastry Squares, will only 1 lb. bag frozen stir fry veggies be enough for 36?

You'll probably even have filling left over.

Mevater

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 11:23 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Mevater wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
notme wrote:

Vegetable Turnovers
• 2 eggs
• salt & pepper to taste

• sesame seeds

You'll probably even have filling left over.
Thanks. 36 Tablespoons seems like a lot, but ok.

Blueberry Muffin

Post Mon, Sep 06 2010, 2:41 pm
hycup wrote:

Pumpkin soup (Kara)
Spinach Patties (Silka)
Layered Mexican Salad (Rubia)
Date Newton

Do you mind sharing these recipes please - they sound very interesting - TIA !!!!
Page 7 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus