Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Washing dishes
1  2  Next

How often do you wash dishes?
once a day  
 30%  [ 17 ]
2-3 times a day  
 47%  [ 26 ]
when the sink gets fulll  
 21%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 55

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Sep 02 2004, 8:37 pm
I am sure there is someone her who could help me. I am a terrible dishwasher, especialy with the glasses, they never come out right- my hubby continually puts them back in the sink-ideas?

proudmom

Post Thu, Sep 02 2004, 10:18 pm
I have a light on top of the sink and it really helps with cleaning the dishes.

Yael

Post Sun, Sep 05 2004, 11:52 am
What I do is when I'm rinsing the dish I run my fingers all over it to make sure that all the soap has come off and also to make sure I havent missed a spot. it takes a little longer but I never miss a spot. my husband can wash dishes much faster than me but in every load of dishes there is usually a dish or spoon that I need to put back in the sink. but hey, I'm just happy that he's washing dishes so I dont say anything. when he's done though I just look over all the dishes quickly, there are sometimes a couple that I have to rinse off some soap. but like I said I dont make a big deal out of it. I wouldn't want to scare him away from doing the dishes again.

my1st

Post Tue, Sep 28 2004, 4:48 pm
Most important: Work with hottest water possible!

Tefila

Post Wed, Sep 29 2004, 1:54 am
I Do Not do dishes more than Twice aday. Breakfast dishes I will do almost straight away, Whereas lunch and supper dishes I will do in the evening I will let it soak in a bowl of sudsy water till I wash them in evening then it is so easy to clean. My dishwasher is flieshig and is usually used only for my shabbos dishes etc. Mad And yes I hate doing dishes but I hate a messy dirty kitchen even more!

miriam

Post Mon, Nov 29 2004, 10:35 am
I am still trying to decide which is the best way of doing dishes. Should I do them right away when they get dirty or do a bunch at a time later? I tried it out both ways and I don't know what's best. What do you guys do? Also, I think it's easier to find a 20 min chunk of time then 2 10 minute chunks. It really depends on the day.

ForeverYoung

Post Mon, Nov 29 2004, 11:22 am
I can't wait for my kids to be old engough to do dishes - I loved this task when I was a kid as I like palying with water. Hope they will like it too 8)

Post Mon, Nov 29 2004, 1:32 pm
miriam wrote:
Should I do them right away when they get dirty or do a bunch at a time later?

I like letting them soak, then practically all you have to do is rinse them off! So I end up doing around twice a day (once the milchigs and once the fleishigs). I guess it'll also depend on whether you have 1 or 2 (or 3?) sinks.

supermom

Post Mon, Nov 29 2004, 2:09 pm
for your glass cups try using a bottle brush with a sponge connected to bottom it works miracles especially those that are hard to reach

plates bowls and silverware sorry can't help with any ideas I just do them and they seem to come out clean

for pots and pans that are oilly or food that are stuck just fill the pot or pan with water and soap and boil when it cools off that you are able to touch it them just clean it is easy and less scrubbing.

Chanie

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 11:45 am
0613 wrote:
I like letting them soak

I hate doing that... I cannot stick my hands into the dirty water. I try to do my dishes as they dirty. If something is very dirty, I fill it up with really hot water and wash everything else first, by the time I get to it, it is usually easier to clean. When I wash the dishes, I first rinse then soap and then wash... after going over each dish thoroughly 3 times, it ought to be clean.

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 12:49 pm
chanie
Quote:
I cannot stick my hands into the dirty water.

Noone does I will alway rinse the water well b/4 I wash up. And it is soooo easy to clean.
Another thing come over anytime and you will never find dirty dishes you know why.... I keep dishes in a basin in my sink and have a chopping board that matches my counter covering it so my kitchen LOOKS sparkeling clean. Evening comes it doesn't just look it, it IS Exclamation

Last edited by Tefila on Sun, Mar 27 2005, 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 12:57 pm
Atchually I should add, I do have two sinks for those of you who don't I have heard that you can keep a basin under the sink in the cupbaord and put dishes to soak there.... just DON'T FORGET about them shock So If the Queen - your mother in law comes she will see how lucky her son is ....he has such a 'geshicked' wife etc... I you will smile to yourself and say if only she knew Twisted Evil

miriam

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 1:08 pm
'geshicked'
definition please

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 01 2004, 2:05 pm
Quote:
'geshicked'

'Domesticated' etc... my yiddish is hopeless but this was the word circulating in my end of the woods.... it is possible too, that it is not even Yiddish! But rest assured I haven't added yet anther word to the vocabulary it was already there Very Happy

1stimer

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 4:48 pm
does anyone know how to bring back the shine to glass dishes?

raizy

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 9:48 pm
great ideas everyone...

I just do the dishes when ever they get dirty or really early in the moring like 6:30 or 7 am it helps that my kids dont let me sleep past then anyways...

also I am so dished out that I have now a bad case of exzema.. does anybody know of how to wash dishes without gloves I hate the feeling of gloves..and still keep the hands semi decent...

also it helps that in my new house we are getting a dishwasher for the fleshing less dishes to wash.what I was doing lately bc of my exzema is that I use lots of plastic. it helps...

timeout

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 10:22 pm
If u have eczema just wash dishes with gloves that's what I do, I also clean with gloves.

indianamom4

Post Sun, Mar 27 2005, 11:42 pm
I keep a bottle of moisterizer next to the sink and I take a squirt after I do the dishes. it really helps keep my and my husbands hands much better. my husband especially since he has horrible dry skin in the winter. my kids have eczema and I use a lot of moisterizer on them too. try to do the dishes only once a day to reduce the time that your hands are in the water. I use the Melaleuca brand moisterizer- it is mail order and I am really happy with it.

Rivk

Post Mon, Mar 28 2005, 6:34 pm
I think the trick to keeping the shine on glass is to dry them right away - don't let them drip dry.

hisorerus

Post Mon, Mar 28 2005, 8:46 pm
I like to have a plastic "scrubby" (like steel wool) and a regular sponge (though I prefer the 3M thick ones). I have a double sink, so first I rinse all of the dishes and go over them with the scrubby to get all the gunk off, switching the ones I've done to the other sink. Then I go over all of the dishes with my soapy sponge, switching them back over! Finally, I rinse them all at the same time. I work best like this (assembly line style) and it also lets me split the job up while still having a feeling of accomplishment.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry