Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Any Stovetop Chicken Recipes?

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 11:31 am
Does anyone have good ideas for Shabbos chicken on the stove? I don't like to use my oven for fleishigs...If you give me one, I'll give you my simple delicious recipe Very Happy (it's really good, but after 50 weeks in a row I think we could use a little change.)

BlumaG

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 11:44 am
we were living uot of town for 6 months and hte oven in our apt didnt have self clean n bc it was for a short time we didnt want to mess with using a blow torch etc so we used stove top recipes.
we had stir fry
we had shnitzel
fried chicken (same as shnitzel but don't fillet the meat)
in the spice and spirit theres a recipe for lemon chicken
I heard if u put chicken in a frying pan with spices and its in its skin it doesnt need oil...

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 11:50 am
I know someone who cooks it only on the stovetop- pour tons of spices over the chicken, stick the pot on the fire covered, turn on flame, wait an hour...done! (dont ask me how this works)

I used to make chicken cacciatore- basically fry a mix of vegetables for an italian dish (tomatoes, green peppers, onions, mushrooms,...) brown the chicken in same pan, pour tomato sauce or similar over it and cook for about an hour. serve on top of spaghetti.

I also used to take just the wings cut up into drummettes and cook them in a mix of sauces (tomato, barbeque, etc.) with onions. they were delicious and the sauce was so good we would dip croutons in it!

I love stewed chicken- cooked on stovetop with vegetables for so long that it is very very soft and juicy, practically falling apart.

schnitzel is also made on a stovetop.

im sure I know more but this is what I can think of right now.

blumag- I never put oil when frying chicken in its skin. there is enough juices for it to cook in.

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 11:52 am
How did you keep the stir-fry from getting overcooked? And the schnitzel from drying out?

You're right about the spicy chicken with its skin. In fact, that's my simple, delicious recipe. Smile You (simply) put the chicken in a skillet, sprinkle with salt, pepper and lots of paprika and cook, covered, on a low flame. If you don't want much gravy, cook it on a higher flame. Stop cooking it when it's about 80% done, so that it finishes cooking on the blech and isn't overcooked. There is really no trick to it.

For variety, you can add other spices. I used to call this my 8-spice chicken (basil, thyme, paprika, onion and garlic powder, cayenne pepper, ginger and black pepper) until we decided that pepper and paprika is just as good.

For added flavor, spice the chicken the night before and let it marinate in the spices overnight.

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 11:54 am
sarahd- im not sure what you mean by drying out. why would it dry out?

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 11:56 am
I found that when I had the schnitzel on the blech, it got overcooked and dried out. Doesn't that happen to you?

BlumaG

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 11:58 am
I would cook the shnitzel on the stove and warm up right b4 shabbos then leave it on the warm burner turned off covered with a towel to keep warm.

I know about no oil with skin but we eat it without, my husband prefers it that way. its easier to clean n less fattening

gryp

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 12:05 pm
I dont think I ever kept shnitzel on the blech. usually I heat it up before shabbos and wrap it up to keep warm.

blumag- we dont eat the chicken skin Confused just fry it while its still on.

Yael

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 1:29 pm
I make a really good "chicken supper on the stove". its sort of like chicken soup but doesnt taste the same.
I fry onions and add the chicken, and fry it a bit, the longer you fry the quicker it cooks. then add cut up veggies like carrots, zucc, and potatoes. mushrooms can be good too. then add some water and salt pepper and basil, and let simmer for about 45 min. delicious easy and quick!!

its good for when I dont have time to let chicken bake. this way is much quicker.

ForeverYoung

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 1:32 pm
sautee onion, garlic, salt, pepper
add curry powder & sautee some more
can add chopped peppers
add cubed chicken & fry.

Yael, I shall try your recipie!

zuncompany

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 1:38 pm
wow! these sound good!

sara

yehudis

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 2:08 pm
Really simple -- do the same thing you would do with an oven recipe, but put the chicken in a pan on the stove on a very low flame. Basically the same result as in the oven. Cooks for about an hour.

sarahd

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 2:13 pm
Pan - you mean baking pan or frying pan?

yehudis

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 2:14 pm
Frying pan, but it has to be deep enough, and with a cover.

lucy

Post Tue, Feb 08 2005, 8:27 pm
If you don't want to serve a kugel (my guest are not kugel pple)
saute onions with mushrooms.
then add chicken (skinned) with rice (whatever ammount you want)
I usually use some garlic power and dried basil.
cook for about 1 - 1 1/2hrs

Motek

Post Thu, Feb 10 2005, 10:50 am
Sweet and Sour Chicken (from Prospect Park cookbook p. 165)

brown a chicken and remove from pan

add sliced onion (and green pepper if you like it)
and sliced carrot

stir fry 2 min

add 1 1/3 cup ketchup
pineapple juice from 20 oz. can
1/3 cup vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tsp dry mustard
1/2 tsp ginger

and the chicken

cover and simmer until chicken is tender (about 30 min.)

add one tomato cut in chunks
the pineapple (if you want it)

and one tablespoon cornstarch mixed in one tablespoon soy sauce blended with 1/4 cup water

stir until heated through and sauce has thickened

can be served with rice

sarahd

Post Thu, Feb 10 2005, 11:04 am
Thanks everyone for all the great ideas!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey