Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Gave up on WIC -vent
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

BusyBeeMommy

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 8:37 pm
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:
I didnt read the whole thread - just the first few posts.

the reason WIC wants you to get everything is because they get a percentage of the amount of funding they get. so wic in NY gets I think 7%, and that is used for salaries, the more ppl on wic, the more you take from wic, the more $$$ they make.....

nj used to have the same rule and it was stopped years back.

Abee geredt.

They don't get "more" by being pushy. They are trying to promote nutritional food. Each sponsor has a right to decide their contribution and what strings to attach to it, as does Feter Shmuel, (uncle sam).

Lets say it once more, NOONE IS ASKED TO BE ON WIC. But if you are, they want to use all the food.

Guess what, amother - I am WIC's sponsor. And so are you ( I am assuming you or your DH earns an income and is a tax payer)! Because we pay taxes to fund this program. Believe you me, I would rather not have to give 20% of my monthly income to "Feter Shmuel" and afford to buy the food that WIC gives. If they are taking our money to create programs such as these, they can take our complaints and constructive criticisms to make their programs more accessible. Remember, WE are the sponsors.

amother

Post Thu, Apr 22 2010, 10:48 pm
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:

the reason WIC wants you to get everything is because they get a percentage of the amount of funding they get. so wic in NY gets I think 7%, and that is used for salaries, the more ppl on wic, the more you take from wic, the more $$$ they make.....

Abee geredt.

They don't get "more" by being pushy. They are trying to promote nutritional food. Each sponsor has a right to decide their contribution and what strings to attach to it, as does Feter Shmuel, (uncle sam).

Lets say it once more, NOONE IS ASKED TO BE ON WIC. But if you are, they want to use all the food.

Guess what, amother - I am WIC's sponsor. And so are you ( I am assuming you or your DH earns an income and is a tax payer)! Because we pay taxes to fund this program. Believe you me, I would rather not have to give 20% of my monthly income to "Feter Shmuel" and afford to buy the food that WIC gives. If they are taking our money to create programs such as these, they can take our complaints and constructive criticisms to make their programs more accessible. Remember, WE are the sponsors.

Your sponsorship ends in the voting booth, that's how far your influence on deciding where what money goes.If you don't like feter shmuel's policies, why do you live in his home?

BinahYeteirah

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 1:34 am
That is the most bizarre attitude I have recently heard about the actions of government, amother. Even after we vote, we retain the right to speak out about the decisions and administration of the government. This, too, is part of the political process. In fact, our elected officials supposedly WANT to know how their constituents feel about things, so they can vote on, sponsor, and introduce bills accordingly. I really hope you aren't one of the ones against the recent health care bill; after all, your say "ends in the voting booth."

I have a feeling that some people just have issues with "those people", you know, the type of people who "take" from programs like WIC, having anything to say about how things are run. Those types of issues are for the haves to worry about, and the have-nots ought to keep quiet and be grateful.

superjew

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 2:58 am
Mama Bear wrote:
superjew, you can make bean soup, veggie cutlets with mashed beans, gizzards in cream sauce...

Hhmm....that's a great idea Thanx! But I don't get how they must have you get beans when your pregnant and nursing , are these ot THE gassiest food out there?! I don't get it.

superjew

Post Fri, Apr 23 2010, 3:07 am
Binah- if course we're grateful for the program. Obviously its truly helpful otherwise we would have dumped it a long time ago (together with all its "rules") however that doesn't take away how silly it is. If someone is trying to be helpful do it the right way! I mean - as I said- I'd take what I can get but darn if the store doesn't have the "big-correct" size PB then lemme get the "smaller" one. Its not like I'm asking for more!!!! It was just a vent anyway.... Not like she was going to write the govt a note saying how trashy their programs are. Although they aughta correct it. In my opinion it doesn't make sense. But like you said , normally I just shut up and accept it. Still feels good to vent.

BusyBeeMommy

Post Mon, Apr 26 2010, 8:50 pm
amother wrote:
BusyBeeMommy wrote:
amother wrote:
small bean wrote:

Abee geredt.

Your sponsorship ends in the voting booth, that's how far your influence on deciding where what money goes.If you don't like feter shmuel's policies, why do you live in his home?

Although I do not agree with the policies that are made by the administration (and I have to disagree about voting for the administration that comes up with the silly rules and regulations, I'm sure those people are hired and not the council members and senators that are voted in, they have better things to do with their lives), I have a right to speak out against them - do I not? I live in the USA namely because of the democratic society that allows such liberties as freedom of speech. And who knows? Maybe I can use that to influence others to vote for politicians who will make sensible decisions to uphold these and other liberties. Wink

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 12:08 am
superjew wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:
superjew, you can make bean soup, veggie cutlets with mashed beans, gizzards in cream sauce...

Hhmm....that's a great idea Thanx! But I don't get how they must have you get beans when your pregnant and nursing , are these ot THE gassiest food out there?! I don't get it.

We soak our beans overnight, rinse them, then cook them. Never had gas from them. Smile

We have bean-based meals 2x/week. I can feed the family homemade veggie burgers w/all the fixings for about $0.31 per burger! Beans are really versatile and the ultimate in frugal food.

mommalah

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 12:17 am
alpidarkomama wrote:
superjew wrote:
Mama Bear wrote:

We soak our beans overnight, rinse them, then cook them. Never had gas from them. Smile

We have bean-based meals 2x/week. I can feed the family homemade veggie burgers w/all the fixings for about $0.31 per burger! Beans are really versatile and the ultimate in frugal food.

Would you mind posting your veggie burger recipe? I have yet to find one that me, dh, and kids can agree on.

alpidarkomama

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 12:43 am
mommalah wrote:
Would you mind posting your veggie burger recipe? I have yet to find one that me, dh, and kids can agree on.

1-1/2 cup tvp or mashed black beans or mashed pinto beans or ?
If using tvp, soak for 15 minutes in 1-1/2 cups boiling water.

Add:

2 eggs
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup water
6 T flour
2 T soy sauce
2 T ketchup
2 t salt

Shape into patties and pan fry. This recipe makes 14 medium-sized veggie patties (about the size of a Morningstar Farms package of veggie burgers).

Cost of burger (w/tvp): $0.15
Cost of one bun: $0.06
Cost of fixings (lettuce, cheese, tomato, onions, pickles, mustard, mayo, ketchup): $0.10

It's a bit on the bland side (but a big kid hit!). I think next time I'll spice it up a little more with garlic, maybe hot sauce, possibly diced onion... Pretty good!

shanie5

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 11:07 pm
what is tvp?

shanie5

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 3:42 pm
alpidarkomama wrote:
mommalah wrote:

1-1/2 cup tvp or mashed black beans or mashed pinto beans or ?
If using tvp, soak for 15 minutes in 1-1/2 cups boiling water.

Add:

2 eggs
1/2 cup oats
1/4 cup water
6 T flour
2 T soy sauce
2 T ketchup
2 t salt

Shape into patties and pan fry. This recipe makes 14 medium-sized veggie patties (about the size of a Morningstar Farms package of veggie burgers).

Cost of burger (w/tvp): $0.15
Cost of one bun: $0.06
Cost of fixings (lettuce, cheese, tomato, onions, pickles, mustard, mayo, ketchup): $0.10

It's a bit on the bland side (but a big kid hit!). I think next time I'll spice it up a little more with garlic, maybe hot sauce, possibly diced onion... Pretty good!

Just wanted to thank you for this recipe. I made it last night, and it went over really well. I know s/t works when dh not only eats it when I make it, but eats the leftovers too-and he had 2 today for lunch!

mommalah

Post Thu, May 06 2010, 8:45 pm
thanks for the recipe. will try it. Smile
Page 6 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 Recent Topics