Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Survey for Working Women

amother

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 8:02 pm
Can you take a moment to answer these questions? I'm doing a survey and will use any answers you provide as part of a printed article/research to appear in a magazine IY"H. Thanks so much!

Working Woman Survey:

1) What positive messages do you tell yourself that make you feel happy about going to work?

2) How do you fit in davening to your work schedule?

3) How do you faithfully fulfill your obligations to your employer and not allow personal/family responsibilities to infringe on your work time?

4) How do you remain a nurturing wife and mother when you are busy with so many responsibilities?

5) You're at work and a child calls that he's sick. What do you do? And what if he's sick for a week with the chicken pox?

6) When you're alone and your thoughts drift, are you usually thinking about yourself, your family, or about work?

7) What healthy balance have you developed about sharing your personal life with your coworkers?

SavtaHelen

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 8:17 pm
1) What positive messages do you tell yourself that make you feel happy about going to work?
I am providing a service and helping people. I am using my skills and talents to make other people's lives easier
oh...that's a hard one. In my ideal situation I get up at six, walk for an hour, come home, shower and daven...In my worst moments I say "birkot haShachar" in the living room before dashing out the door.
3) How do you faithfully fulfill your obligations to your employer and not allow personal/family responsibilities to infringe on your work time?
I think my borders are rather flexible..I get calls from my kids at work and calls from work at home, and it just "flows"
4) How do you remain a nurturing wife and mother when you are busy with so many responsibilities?

I know my kids come first. When they were younger, even if they weren't really so ill, I would stay home with them when they were sick. I felt that five years from now no one at work would remember that I had been away but my kid would remember that feeling of abandonment. (I am talking about 13 years old and up)
5) You're at work and a child calls that he's sick. What do you do? And what if he's sick for a week with the chicken pox? Kid comes first. If I can't get out of something at work, call DH.

6) When you're alone and your thoughts drift, are you usually thinking about yourself, your family, or about work?
every day and every minute something else....cooking, shopping lists, grandkids, DH...chores, lists, hopes dreams, sometimes all within 60 sec!

7) What healthy balance have you developed about sharing your personal life with your coworkers? I am usually very open and sharing and my nature is to share humorous stories about the family
Back to top [I]

amother

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 8:26 pm
not sure if you wanted each question answered individualy, but I'll try to answer everything in some way....
I love getting up in the morning and going to work, I have a purpose in my day, a goal. It may or may not be the most amazing job, but it gives me a structure to my day.
No, after having a child and working full time, I dont usually daven, but I feel like my roll as a mother and wife take that place. I will rather spend the time with my child or prepare dinner then run to daven mincha. (I could be totally wrong, but this is how I feel)
When I am at work, as long as I have work, I will work. And I work hard. But if something in the family comes up, or my child needs something, that is number one.(obviously within reason) From my years of working I have learned that you need to set the standards. A boss will take advantage as much as they can, but you have to do what is right for yourself and FAMILY ALWAYS COMES FIRST.
I have many sisters and sisters-in-law some of which work and some who don't. Let me tell you, the ones that work have the most time to take care of their responsibilities, and help others, and be the best mothers. The ones who dont work, just shlep everything all day cuz they dont have to get things done on a tight schedule.
All of this is aside from that fact that its a great feeling that you can bring some money to the table at the end of the week. And when a friend may have time to spend all day, you are working and making money all day and contribute:)
I rarely drift off thinking of work.......
And last, I have built some of my most meaningful relationships with co-workers. there is so much to be said about being able to discuss daily issues and accurances with others(other than husband) and get good handy dinner tips or menus.
I am so glad I work, and I think my family is the happiest this way!

amother

Post Thu, Apr 15 2010, 8:33 pm
OP here-- thanks for your replies. Amother and others-- it is easier to read if you copy and paste the q's and answer indidividually.

Thanks

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 4:46 am
1. I get good salary, also get professional recognition and work with bright people.
My days are filled with intellectual challenges, and sometimes get to visit interesting places.
I can make myself a cup of tea which I can enjoy while still hot without being interrupted
by my family (IIIIMMMMAAA, I want you NOW, please!?).
2. Get up early (though I admit not necessary). After lunch (at the desk) I bentch at the desk.
3. I do not speak with children on the phone during work hours as we're in an open office and I don't
want everyone eavesdropping and my assistant can be picking up phones on my behalf.
Mostly send texts or emails to DH. Most other things--doctors appointment,
teachers meetings can be accomodated either before or after work.
(Ok, restricting surfing on imamother to during the lunch time/slow hours count as well?)
4. I switch off/on easily. Delegate, multi-task, priortise (another way of saying slack off).
Having a short commute is a plus (if I catch a cab I can be home/at school from office in 20min max).
Having a good support system (supportive and flexible DH, reliable and capable nanny and cleaner) is
a must.
5. Either nanny or DH pick up. Nanny/DH stays with the child.
I'm rationing my paid holidays. Though my company is flexible to some degree (eg working from
home).
6. All of the above, and none of the above (like, what to serve for shabbat, what clothings need to be
mended) Usually I'm too busy taking care of chores to have time to let my thoughts drift.
7. I'm usually a rather private person, not into sharing personal life as I'm the only
working mother in my department (acutally the whole company at a senior level).It' almost having
a parallel universe as my work life and private life has very very little overlap. Thugh I have enough
conversational topics for chit chat.

Marion

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 5:43 am
I'm keeping my children fed and a roof over their heads.

Does Modeh Ani on the way to daycare with the kids and kriat Shema at bedtime count?

That's what vacation time is for...if I have to take personal time I take personal time.

Do I have a choice?

5) You're at work and a child calls that he's sick. What do you do? And what if he's sick for a week with the chicken pox?
Depends what time it is. I have a 1.5 hour window to pick up a sick child. If necessary I have a couple of backup people who can take them. Sick for a week? Well, the law allows me to use a certain amount of my paid sick leave for a sick child, so that's what I would do.

Sleep.

7) What healthy balance have you developed about sharing your personal life with your coworkers?
I have pictures on my wall of my kids. My coworkers have all met my kids at one or another company event. They ask, I share. Some are older and wiser and I'll ask advice too for certain things. My marriage, OTOH, is off limits. But not my kids.

mosma

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 6:05 am
Working Woman Survey:
(I work from home for most of my work (not all of it) so my answers may be a bit different)
I am making money for my family and if not for my job we would have no food...
Brachos in the morning and shema at night. That's all I really have time for...
I sometimes have to stop if something important comes up, but there are certain things I must do during the day, no matter how long it takes, so I just need to make sure I get them done at the end.
This is a tough one because I have 2 jobs and they're both very time consuming. I DO NOT WORK for the 2 hours my son comes home from school until he goes to bed, but once he's in bed I begin work again and make supper when I'm done and spend some time with DH. We are used to eating dinner at 9 pm now and it's worth it to stay up late because of the time we get to spend together.

This is really n/a because I work from home so I can leave whenever I need to. I teach as well but that's only an hour a day. Once I had to pick up DS sick from school in middle of teaching (emergency) so I just left work for the girls to do and left. Frum schools are pretty understanding about mommies Very Happy
Lately I'm thinking about how little money we have and how to budget the week and still afford food for shabbos...But I try to have bitachon and when that balances out in my mind I usually think about DH and how things are going for him while I'm working.

Since most of my coworkers are working from their own homes, we don't speak every day. I have 2 or 3 coworkers that I'm closer to than others and when we speak for work if there's time we usually spend a minute or two talking about how we're doing.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 7:40 am

As the primary breadwinner, I'm supporting myself and DH. If it weren't for my job, we wouldn't be able to support ourselves.

I get up earlier for shacharit. For mincha, there is no place to daven so I usually go outside to the parking lot.

At my job, there is more of an emphasis on getting your work done rather than sitting at your desk for exactly eight hours. So as long as I get my work done, I don't mind running to toivel some dishes on my lunch hour or calling DH to deal with a problem while I'm at work.

I always come home and make dinner for myself and DH. Not a mother yet.

We don't have children yet, but I do have sick time I can use to take care of a family member.

Usually about myself, DH, politics, religion, what I have to do when I get home, my family, Shabbos dinner menus, etc. etc. Not too much about work.

I share very little. I work in a non-Jewish environment and my coworkers are pretty gossipy. I don't want to participate in that.

mamommommy

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 8:01 am
That I contribute to the financial survival of my household and my children. That I have talents that Hashem allows me to share with others. That my work helps other people.

Same as I fit it in when I'm home with kids all day- whenever I get a second!

This answer probably depends on the nature of your job. For me, personal/family responsibilities always trump my job, but my work schedule is flexible certain days, so it rarely is a huge conflict.

I try very hard (not always successfully) to block my time. Meaning that I do not speak to anyone about work or attempt to do work in the afternoons/evening when my kids are around, and in the evenings I give myself a specific chunk of time to do work, a specific chunk of time for the home, and also a chunk of time for my dh. (Dh does the same thing, so we know, for example, that we're both unavailbale and working from 9-11 at night.)

Again, my hours are sometimes flexible. Sometimes I have to take pay cuts, sometimes dh has to stay home.

Thoughts?

Depends on who they are. I've become good friends with some frum co-workers, so I share a lot. I'll share info like family birthdays, trips, shopping advice etc. with other people, but that's usually it - nothing personal unless it's one of my good friends

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 8:07 am
amother wrote:

I like people so I’m happy to get up and out each day.

amother wrote:

I daven before I go; what’s the big deal ?

amother wrote:

Boss knows he hired a working mom; I work by the year not the minute so it’s all good.

amother wrote:

I think multitasking is a muscle that gets stronger as you use it.

amother wrote:

DH and I take turns.

amother wrote:

Depends.

amother wrote:

I do as they do. No more and no less.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 8:15 am
1) Since I was out of work for a while when I wasn't well my attitude towards even the most boring mundane things changed. I am happy and blessed to be able to go out & work. BH!

2) I talk to Hashem all day (not loudly of course, LOL).

3) I accept calls only on my work number. My cell gets shut off as soon as I come into work.

4) I think the key to this is the art of transitioning. When I leave the office I leave all the pressure and responsibilities right there. I unwind with my kids for approx a half hour after I leave work & that usually gets me into the family mode.

5) I get permission to leave immediately. My priority is my family.

6) depending what's most pressuring & unstable at that moment.

7) We talk a bit about our childrens' developments, latest antics and sometimes about myself, DH & my extended family but never information that I wouldn't announce on a loudspeaker.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 8:43 am
Working Woman Survey:

-I am earning money for my family, which will hopefully make my marriage and whole family stay stable IY"H - that is really a tremendous gift to give to ones children. I try to tell my friends this, but not everyone gets what I am talking about.

-Also, I am happy to get out of the house and do something productive. I find that my hobbies such as exercise and going to shiurim fit into my schedule to the same extent that they would if I were a stay at home mom.

-I daven on the subway on the way into work - I have exactly enough time for Shacharis and a little extra tefilla. It's allowed, see Rav Nissel's book on women and prayer, called Rigshei Lev.

-I try to keep an open dialogue with my boss concerning how I am doing at work.

-I try to do all my work in a professional and timely fashion, even if it means occasionally working on Sunday or working late. B"H my husband is extremely understanding and accommodating about this.

-I keep in mind at all times that parnassah comes from Hashem and I just need to do my best, but I don't need to go overboard working. For example, I work hard, but I have some other friends that constantly travel for business. I do not want to travel for business because I think it is extremely damaging to the family unit. I have bitachon that Hashem can provide my parnassah without my needing to take on tasks that would require business travel.

-I just try to do my best. My kids are little now and they don't seem to have any existential crisis with my working. I try to outsource a lot of mundane household tasks like laundry, cleaning, shopping, so that when I come home I can spend time right away with my kids. I also try to hire excellent babysitters.

-I think that the "nurturing wife" part is often overlooked by many women. It is very important to hire a babysitter and go out with ones husband as often as you can afford. I left my kids with my parents for a few days and took a vacation with my husband - it may have been the best thing I ever did in my life.

-B"H this doesn't happen very often. I have a babysitter in my home and a lot of extended family nearby. That being said, if I am needed, I will go home and take care of my child.

-I usually think about chores, like what am I making for Shabbos meals, or what do I need to do on Sunday. I also think about big-picture issues like buying a house, or even bigger picture hashkafa issues. I like the subway ride home, when I can just chill out by myself and read the Wall Street Journal - it's a good springboard for intellectual thoughts.

-I don't have that many "friends" at work, but I am pretty open with people if they ask me about my family or my religion. I feel that many of the women in my firm are either jealous of me for having a family or jealous of my being frum. They feel like a frum marriage is more stable or that a frum community provides more direction. As a result of this I am basically not a participant in the social events, and I never go out with my coworkers as a group. That being said, I am an open person by nature, so if someone asks me something, I usually answer honestly.

amother

Post Fri, Apr 16 2010, 8:46 am
amother wrote:
Can you take a moment to answer these questions? I'm doing a survey and will use any answers you provide as part of a printed article/research to appear in a magazine IY"H. Thanks so much!

Working Woman Survey:

I'm helping support our family. I am lucky to have this job!

I don't usually daven but I work from home so I could fit it in if I was more disciplined. (I have heard many times you can daven maariv if you don't have time for shacharis or mincha)

you do the best you can and when u need to take a personal call you have figure the employer assumes there will be some personal/family responsibilities that infringe on work time- there is no way around it. hope for an understanding boss, just don't take advantage.

this is tough, a constant juggle, but usually there is a positive side to working that "outweighs" this, for example, your family needs the money to survive, or you need the outlet to survive.

I'm the one who misses work. my dh could also if needed.

usually my family.

I don't share too much. they know basics about my kids or cute tidbits, but I don't share every aspect of my life. TMI

groisamomma

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:00 am
amother wrote:

Working Woman Survey:

That I am supporting a husband in learning and that makes it worth it.

I do it in the car on the way to school, in the morning when my kids are out to school/playgroup, or skip it. I should really make more of an effort to change this, but I'm so busy, busy, busy (and I don't mean being on imamother)

I don't. When I take on too much at home, my work suffers.

I try to give special time to the kids individually, I always hold them at least once or twice a day and tell them I love them whenever I'm near them, I try to involve them in accomplishing some of the responsibilities, and sometimes I simply feel that I am not nurturing enough because I'm so busy (that's the simple, honest truth Crying ).

I run home. I stay home from school till 2:00 when dh takes over for his lunch break till I come home from school. It happens to work out for us, cuz my school is ok with these things usually.

Sometimes all, sometimes none. Mostly I think ahead to everything I have to do for each...

I'm terrible here cuz I love to schmooze. But I don't share anything MAJORLY personal such as stuff about dh, only about the kids mostly.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:21 am
amother wrote:

Working Woman Survey:

The company I work for does worthwhile and important things. My work enables this to continue.
amother wrote:

Not as much as I would like. Most days it is Brochos, and tehillim when I can squeeze that in.

amother wrote:

My employer is family friendly, so sometimes family infringes on work time, and sometimes I have to take work home to complete it.

amother wrote:

By excluding almost everything else. It is a constant struggle - I am not always successful.

amother wrote:
Thank Hash-m it doesn't happen often. My in-laws are often able to help with a middle of the day problem. Several days would mean I take vacation time.

amother wrote:

Any of the above, but it works both ways - I sometimes think about work at home.

amother wrote:
Limiting it to light and positive as much as possible, unless they have a difficulty that sharing would help with.

tryinghard

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 8:43 am
amother wrote:

Working Woman Survey:

I am doing what I need to do to enable dh to be learning for the next few years. Also, I am currently working with elderly people, so I remind myself I am helping them, making them happy.

Quote:

I generally end up davening in the car embarrassed

Quote:

by showing up in a (relatively) timely fashion and not leaving early, by limiting personal calls to my lunch hour, and by trying my best to not miss work.

Quote:

when I am at work, I am at work, but I leave it there.

Quote:

I have never dealt with this yet because dd is only 4 months. I would probably work something out with dh, where I would miss minimal time (afternoon seder is not until 3, and if necessary, it's not crazy for dh and chavrusa to learn at home) because I am doing an internship, and since I already took a lot of time off because I had a baby in the middle, it would be really bad if I miss more time

Quote:

definitely not work. usually family, things I have to do, things dh and I are talking about

Quote:

I will discuss dd, or funny things that happened, but nothing I wouldn't tell an old friend from high school - plus, none of my coworkers are frum, so of course there are a lot of things that I wouldn't talk about. I just generally try to participate in conversations without comprimising on propriety or my privacy.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 10:04 am
amother wrote:

Working Woman Survey:

That I gotta pay the bills, and w/o me we woudn't have enough $

I don't daven embarrassed

I work for a parent so my hours are flexible(altho I need to put in a certain amount of hours), so that's not really a problem.

It's not easy

I would be able to pick him up and bring hime with me to work.

myself

My coworkers are a parent and a friend, so they do know e/t about my kids, yet I still maintain my boundaries. I don't discuss my mariiage obviously

JuliaB

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 10:16 am
Working Woman Survey:

I am being a responsible parent by getting a degree/being able to support our family. It helps give my days structure.

Not so well. embarrassed

I just do my job. If I feel I need to take time off for personal/family responsibilites I would do so.

It is very hard. I try to out source as many things as I can afford to (I.e., laundry, cleaning) so that I have time to be emotionally present for my family.

Usually my husband or I would go and pick the child up. Usually we would switch off spending time with the child according our work schedules. If neither of us could do it and I didn't feel that the child was too sick, I might ask my mom or MIL (who both live locally) for help.

Family or worrying about things around the house that need to get done.

I share basic information (I.e., they know I have 2 year old daughter, neighborhood I live in, some know that I'm Orthodox).

amother

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 12:14 pm

I don't talk to myself much, not big on internal pep-talks. Seems phony-cheery to me. I either enjoy or I don't, and I don't spend a lot of time deciding one way or the other. But I like to eat three times a day, like having a roof over my head, like having health insurance, like knowing if CH"V dh weren't in the picture I could support the family. I also like talking to adults who will understand when I use words of more than one syllable, and like to be Ms. Suchandsuch, Tax Consultant, not solely Mrs. Suchandsuch, Toby's mother.

The best part of the day is the golden early-morning hours. Get up half an hour earlier and the world is yours.

You assume a lot, don't you? Maybe I don't. Maybe others are making up the slack. No, seriously, B"H I have a good vacation/personal leave allowance, which I use frugally. To make up for leaving early on Fridays, I come in earlier every day. Family knows to call only for emergencies. When we had small children we had babysitters come to our home to care for the kids there, so that even if the kids were sick we could still go to work. When the kids were in school and we had no sitter, dh and I took turns staying home. Fortunately dh can do some of his work at home and can work unusual hours if need be. Forunately, not all my work is critically time-dependent.

B"H I also had at the time parents who were retired but in decent health living nearby and could fill in when there was no one available. We couldn't have managed without them. Even when they weren't taking care of the kids, the idea that they were there and could step in in an emergency meant peace of mind. You can't buy that for money.

Who says I do? I don't feel very nurturing. Maybe I'm not a nurtiring nature. Or maybe I AM nurtiring, but I'm not a helicopter. I don't hover. I try to bring up independent, self-reliant individuals.

We chose a school that wasn't our hashkafa at all because it was close to the house for juist this rerason. If school was going to call and say your kid's sick, I wanted to be able to get him home quickly. IIRC, Hashgacha Protis was there when I needed it. My kids got chcken pox when a relative had semester break, so she babysat part of the time.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Again, who says it's healthy? I talk way too much. I have coworkers who are clams, I don't even know if they're marriued or not, and I wish I could be like them. But my dad called me a "running brook" who couldn't keep her mouth shut, so...I share things, but nothing intimate. No badmouthing the dh. No we're having this problem or that. Yes griping about school tuition b/c that's universal, almost a cliche. Yes telling funny stories about something the kid did. Nothing I'd be embarrassed if everyone on the floor knew about it.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 27 2010, 11:28 pm
Hi!
I asked my mom to do it, is it fine?

That it's for the family

The common transportations allow even a very long davening daily!

Her family knows to call her only if needed or during her break.

Because it comes first, always

If dad cannot do it, she comes/stays home with a doctor's note. The boss can't do anything against a note and often they understand even if they don't like it.

Family (child, husband, parents, now grandchild)

Non personal stuff (my granddaughter has a new tooth!) is fine, personal is not
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics