Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Severely disabled, is she still a mom? (frum woman)
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 12:26 pm
http://www.latimes.com/news/lo.....story

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 12:34 pm
I understand her husband's decision to "move on", but not one to deny her access to seeing her children. I have no words.

BinahYeteirah

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 12:47 pm
My response was the same, chavamom. I understand wanting to move on, but where is the simple sympathy, nay, the overwhelming gratitude that this woman basically gave up her life to birth those three children with that man? Even if he doesn't really believe that she can understand anything, does it matter? Does he think that he can protect them from the truth about their mother by just pretending that she doesn't exist? They will have to be told eventually, but they don't need to be told all the gruesome details as preschoolers. Let them see their mother and be told simple information, that their mother had some medical problems, that she wasn't always like that, that she loves them very much.

Sad, sad.

Atali

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 12:47 pm
chavamom wrote:
I understand her husband's decision to "move on", but not one to deny her access to seeing her children. I have no words.

And then to have the chutzpah to expect her to pay child support shock

MamO3

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 12:50 pm
Tragic.
The husband is just plain cruel. Hasn't she suffered enough bringing his children into this world?

sarahd

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 12:51 pm
I don't understand. He wants to deny her even minimal visitation rights, but wants her to pay child support? She sacrificed her life to bear his children and this is his gratitude?

sarahd

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 12:53 pm
I like what one of the commentators wrote, that the children can simply be told that Mommy's sleeping but she's dreaming about you.

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 12:58 pm
ABBY DORN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we were all saying tehillim for her, remember? we were all wondering what the update is on her life!!!

I cant believe this!!!!

remember this?

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....11284

she was an atime member.... we were all devastated when this happened!

I unerstand her husband's decision to move on but the kids should see their mother and grandmother.

Wow! poor abby, poor kids, poor everyone!

fmt4

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:07 pm
I feel for the father. Like he said, he was 31 with three one year olds! That is sooo tough. I can't imagine what his life is like...He had to make a lot of very difficult decisions...And as sad as her situation is, she most probably has no idea what is going on. I don't know. It's a very sad story, and I don't think I can judge.

LeahW

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:08 pm
Is this guy still frum? Can't a Rav knock some sense into him that he's doing a terrible thing?

Let him move on and remarry, but who would marry a heartless man?

MamO3

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:11 pm
It is difficult for him but it seems like her parents are great and I'm sure they would support him and make his life a lot easier.

fmt4

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:14 pm
LeahW wrote:
Is this guy still frum? Can't a Rav knock some sense into him that he's doing a terrible thing?

Let him move on and remarry, but who would marry a heartless man?

I think your language is a bit strong. How about you don't judge unless you're in his shoes? His life is tragic and difficult, and none of us can know what his thought process is.

Raisin

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:18 pm
I do feel for the father, it's not an easy situation but why is he denying her visitation? It's not the first time a mother has been injured or even died in childbirth, I'm sure there is a way of telling them that won't damage their psyche. And they don't need to tell them the full truth at this point anyway.

kitov

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:23 pm
Maybe he is so traumatized by his last encounter with her, that just the thought of his kids making connections with her, relives the experience for him.

Maybe some of the money she won in he lawsuit should cover for counseling/therapy for him and the kids. After all, they are so terribly affected.

I highly doubt it, that he is denying her visitation for money extortion, unless, unfortunately, in a situation where we can't understand ppl's pain and stress, the trauma is leading him to do stuff he wouldn't normally do.

orchidmom

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:32 pm
heartbreaking...

mama-star

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:34 pm
oy nebech - so very, very sad.

May

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:38 pm
Is it even possible to get a halachic divorce if the woman is in a vegetative state?

lamplighter

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:40 pm
I think none of us can judge.

What a terrible tzara on all accounts.

chavamom

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 1:44 pm
May wrote:
Is it even possible to get a halachic divorce if the woman is in a vegetative state?

I think he has to get a heter meah rabbonim in such a case.

chaylizi

Post Sun, Apr 11 2010, 2:19 pm
sarahd wrote:
I don't understand. He wants to deny her even minimal visitation rights, but wants her to pay child support? She sacrificed her life to bear his children and this is his gratitude?

this is my problem with the story.
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics