Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
The schools take on lethal injection

amother

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 10:26 pm
my 8 yr old came home and said, today we davened for a man who was poisoned because he by mistake killed a woman because she frightened him. he didn't do it on purpose and he was killed!

his davening teacher told this to the class.

morahaviva

Post Wed, Feb 17 2010, 10:37 pm
My DD, who is chubby, came home very upset because a girl in her 1st grade class told everyone that the police killed this man because he was too fat.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 10:04 am
For both schools I would ask to see the teacher FAST. Schools are politically neutral, or are supposed to be.

chaylizi

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 10:23 am
I'm really grateful that my daughter does not go to that school. How inappropriate.

sequoia

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 10:28 am
Way to go teaching respect for the law.

JC

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 10:31 am
I would be in the principle's office this morning. Absolutely UNACCEPTABLE - no excuse could be given that would make that OK.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 10:36 am
Why blame the school for Morah Aviva's post? A child didn't understand something and told other children that -- happens very frequently about lots of things. (Which is why it's imperative we don't leave chinuch about important matters to others!)

As far as the first...I would ask gently for clarification. Many times kids misunderstand things (as we see from morahaviva's daughter's classmate).

rb

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 10:50 am
My daughter came home saying basically the same thing, her teacher said that a man did something wrong a LONG time ago (stressed the long part) and he was killed yesterday by poison.

JC

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 10:57 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Why blame the school for Morah Aviva's post? A child didn't understand something and told other children that -- happens very frequently about lots of things. (Which is why it's imperative we don't leave chinuch about important matters to others!)

As far as the first...I would ask gently for clarification. Many times kids misunderstand things (as we see from morahaviva's daughter's classmate).

I am not blaming the school, but would go directly to the principle bec I wouldnt bother discussing it with the teacher (not his regular teacher) who thought to bring it up to an 8 year old. That teacher showed such a lack of good judgment I dont think I could speak calmly and respectfully to that person.
The point is whatever was said was inappropriate on a matter such as this. The subject matter should NOT be brought up with 8 year olds, bec among other things, there is no way every child (or any child) will understand the situation.

Assuming that I even agreed with the teacher on the subject matter - its about as inappropriate as telling a class of 8yo to not have s@x until marriage - even if the message is good, the subject is not appropriate for the audience.
In this case the message was also horrendous and a lie.

gryp

Post Thu, Feb 18 2010, 11:32 am
I agree with JC. Inappropriate subject matter for 8 yr olds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics