Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Need ideas...cold shavuos meal
1  2  Next

Milk Munch

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 10:18 pm
I need some ideas for my day meals (dairy/parve) of food that is nice served cold (I won't be able to heat up dairy food or parve food baked in dairy oven).
Right now our dessert list is longer than our lunch list! (That would be find for just my family...we'd be happy to skip lunch altogether. But I'm having guests....)

cindy324

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 10:26 pm
I did this last year for a night meal.

I served lox, smoked fish cream cheese, sliced challa, veggie salad. If you wanna make it fancier you could make iced coffee ina nice glass pitcher. You can also serve all knids of spreads and dips, a caesar salad or greek salad if you eant it to look fancier. Deviled eggs for appetizers, cold fruit soup, somebody mentioned strawberry soup...

MommyLuv

Post Sun, May 28 2006, 11:53 pm
I have this situation, so far I decided on:

Baked salmon with dill & butter
greek salad
spinach or broccoli quiche
maybe a cheese plate?? if I want to splurge!!

and for dessert, a cheesecake, pudding pie, or ice cream

any more ideas?

yoyosma

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 12:13 am
MommyLuv is correct, salmon is a great option with a dill sauce!
Ceasar salad, various cheeses, pate's, different types of gourmet dips and cream cheeses, rolls, any variation of a fruit/spinach salad, they seem so Shavuousy!! Very Happy
You could always make fruit soup, fruit salad, or gaspacho if you are into that. Pasta/pesto salads are also really good, and not as dairy heavy if you want a break.
Personally, I hate the dairy overload, it makes me ill.

match

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 2:55 am
bs"d

Have you ever heard of a cold borsch Question Question
It's one of the greatest soups for the hot summer day Exclamation Exclamation Idea

* Just take beets (if you like, you can take beets with leaves), peel them and boil for 1,5 - 2 hours.
* You can cut beets into small pieces or grate them in the beginning, or boil them whole and then (when they're cool) cut and put back into the same pot with juicy water.
* Then you add a little bit of salt, sugar and vinegar (or lemon juice) to keep the color and to give the sweet-n-sour taste to the soup. If you took beets with leaves, now it's the time to put these leaves into the pot. Boil for a little and leave it to cool down.
* Boil potatoes and eggs at the same time (but separate). You could do it later also if you have time.

How to serve:
You serve the soup cold, add to each plate boiled egg, fresh cucumber, green onions (just a bit), potatoes (also cold) and sour cream. Idea

Really delicious!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Gut yom tov!! 8)

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 5:07 pm
we sometimes eat blintze souffle cold and it tastes like cheesecake! mmmm

MommyLuv

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 6:08 pm
2 more ideas I'm toying with-
pasta salad w/ pesto dressing
rosemary& cream cheese rugelach- as a side nibble, not dessert

chocolate moose

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 8:09 pm
borsht with sour cream.

koolmother

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 9:27 pm
BrachaVHatzlocha wrote:
we sometimes eat blintze souffle cold and it tastes like cheesecake! mmmm

how do you make blintz soufle,
can you post the recipie?
thanks

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 9:45 pm
I'm away from home for the week, but if some one has the best of the Heimishe, there's a recipe in there

Milk Munch

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 10:14 pm
MommyLuv wrote:

rosemary& cream cheese rugelach- as a side nibble, not dessert

What are these?!?!

Cold borcht sounds really good. But I don't know if I will ever be brave enough to serve that with kids around!!

I've had a blintz souffle before that was frozen blintzes in a pan with a mixture of sour cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla etc. on top and then baked. It was a cheating way of making blintzes. Is this what you mean by "blintz souffle"? I was actually wondering about the proportions of the topping stuff. I don't know if it was from a recipe or if the person made it up. Anyone have any idea?

Cindy...you do dairy at night also? I was just having a discussion with someone ...we were wondering why we don't do that?! I didn't know anyone did! Gosh, my family would love to have cheesecake that many times in a row!

MommyLuv

Post Mon, May 29 2006, 11:24 pm
MilkMunch-the rugelach are basically puff dough that is rolled out and smeared with a savory filling of cream cheese and herbs and olives, and wrapped up and baked like pastry. I wanna try it for the first time, I'll tell you if it comes out good. I found the recipe in a bon apetit magazine.

klotzkashe

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 12:34 am
Im doing smoked salmon and smoked trout platters, egg salad, avocado dip, greek salad, cheese platter, challah an cheesecake - that's my first course
we'[ll then bench.
an hour later w'ell be doing cholent etc. (on shabbos day)

raizy

Post Tue, May 30 2006, 11:37 pm
thanks for all the great ideas. I havent started to cook or make a menu. so much for my procastination. I am still recovering from all the food I cooked on pesach!!!wish me luck!

supermom

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 6:33 am
cindy324 wrote:
If you wanna make it fancier you could make iced coffee ina nice glass pitcher.

I always wondered how to make it homemade can you post how to make it PLEASE!!! Very Happy That should be a nice refreshing drink for my husband to come home to after staying up late all night. thanks

supermom

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 9:31 am
This is my mothers all time favorite menu for shavous

Cheesecake, spagetti and cheese, blintzes, fresh strawberries and blue berries, cottage cheese, sour cream, cream cheese, regular salad, fish any kind in your case salmon, milchig soup usually mushroom barely, spinach and cheese, quiches veg., and I think that is it but maybe one or two more dishes if I am correct.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 10:13 am
I am going to leave a veg soup on a blech overnight. Then we will have salmon (a recipe from kbd entertains baked with veggies on top) quiche, salad, poss fishcakes and spinach frittata then cheesecakes

Flowerchild

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 11:51 am
I am making baked zitti or spinach lasagne. strawberry salad/fruit salad. sambusek yumm. maybe some fish probably tilapia. mint lemonade, mushroom quiche maybe. we dont eat much dairy so we will see. oh maybe some shakshuka my hubby makes it really good.

regarding cold borsht I am sorry but to me it sounds not soo good. ever since I was little I could not eat borsht, my grandfather used to make it really good but I just couldnt eat it.

deedee

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 12:35 pm
fried fish with tarter sauce is great cold.

elisecohen

Post Wed, May 31 2006, 12:40 pm
My SIL always makes sushi. You can make it vegetarian if you're not into the fish! Also, you can make it with lox instead of raw salmon.

Look in cookbooks under hors d'oevres--there are a lot of nice, cold lunch dishes especially for milchigs. Little things that are finger food are especially good for the kids, after all.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus