Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
Purim Mishloach Manot Themes
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

hadasa

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 10:27 am
I pass on only store-bought items. I like to give home-baked stuff. I think it's more personal, and I don't pass on the homemade stuff I get, either, I feel it's like giving away a personal gift. I also feel that if I give something that it's obvious I put time and effort into, then I don't have to spend that much money to make it look respectable. In my eyes, a bottle of wine and a home-baked cake is a much nicer Shalach Manos than a basket full of store-bought stuff, no matter how expensive.

Concerning themes - I've never had themes for Shalach Manos, but I've had them for costumes: e.g. Aharon, Moshe and Miriam (with a tambourine!), The four Mitzvos of Purim, Havdalah (A Becher, a bottle of wine, a sky with three stars, a Havdalah candle, a Besomim . Don't ask - these took a lot of creativity.)

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 10:32 am
0613 wrote:
we definitely do that w/ things we can't eat (like non cholov yisroel stuff we get)

but maybe that shouldn't be passed on ...

re the "simchas purim" gripe, maybe the poster is related to a woman I know who is very perturbed by the phrase "shalach manos!"

what's "shalach"? she wants to know?

they are MANOS!

and the mitzva is "mishloach manos" not "shalach manos"!

a bi gezunt!

hadasa

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 10:44 am
"Shalach manos" is a distortion, like "Gut Yonteff" but I don't see the problem with "Simchas Purim". You are wishing the person that he experience the joyousness of Purim, like wishing "Good luck" or "Much happiness".

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 10:57 am
For purim themes

Still thinking Very Happy

Last edited by Tefila on Wed, Feb 16 2005, 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

zuncompany

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 11:01 am
motek- we agree on something! YAY! My husband does not let me pass on the things we ourselves wouldn't eat... even if we know the person would eat it. Even though most of our community doesn't keep chalov yisroel... they still get candies from us that are. I wouldn't go out and buy chalov stam.

sara

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 11:09 am
Atchually anything that we are not allowed to eat we wil NOT pass on to jews,( only things we may not like or do not need ) Also with triefe animals if my kids are given something that I cannot change, then I will give to childrens hospital etc!!

Rochel Leah

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 11:11 am
With the cholov stam we give it to our cleaning lady.

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 11:14 am
Motek & Sara, I'm with yo uon this too!!!

we collect all chalav stam in a box & give it to somebody who keeps it after Purim - we would not give out something we don't eat.

And we re-use only store bought stuff - home made you can't really pass on, and besides, it's usually very good, so we eat it!

PS just watch out -a few times we got our signature items back !!!!
Make sure you don't do that!!

chabadnick

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 1:41 pm
ACTUALLY THIS YEAR PURIM IS ON EREV SHABBOS...SO PERHAPS...MAKE A SMALL KUGGLE, CHALLAH, A BOTTLE OF GRAPE JUICE AND A SMALL SALAD! WITH GUT SHABBOS AND A FRELICHEN PURIM!

micki

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 4:05 pm
I like these ideas! keep them coming!

the one year it was on friday we made little dips- chatzilim olive, chumus etc.. in little dishes. set on a bed of lettuce witha homemade challa roll. but I only had 2 lids at the time...
this year I am due on purim so who knows what wil be.

one year we bought small clay flower pots- .15 on sale and baked choclate cupcakes. set on inside as mud then made choclate flower roses on lolypop sticks and poked then in. wrapped and done!!

for costumes we did- hubby and I king and queen esther
tree, and 2 flowers,
hubby was a chicken, I a cow ( I was pregnant so it made sense!) and baby was a lamb.

next year was 4 clowns full body costumes

next year only the kids dressed up- 2 butterflies for the girls and a bumblebee for manu.

next year we had shabbos cndle, pushka, sefer torah and baby was a mezuzua. (freilich you can borrow if you want!)

and then last year I finally reused a costume with the girls kallahs and the boys clown to be mesameach choson kalla.

I sewed all these costumes and I have quite a store!
this year I need ideas!!!!

Tefila

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 4:08 pm
Thanks micki what would I do without you!

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 5:10 pm
micki - one year I saw a handwritten sign posted by a dressmaker that she will sew Purim costumes

do you do that? I think people would be happy to rent or buy quality costumes

if it was something simple, she knew what to do, anything more complicated - she sent you to buy a pattern

there are lots of costume patterns because of halloween

ForeverYoung

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 5:24 pm
I buy all costumes haloween time, when they're on sale

amother

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 7:30 pm
Quote:
I don't see the problem with "Simchas Purim". You are wishing the person that he experience the joyousness of Purim, like wishing "Good luck" or "Much happiness".

absolutely, and the way we say it in Hebrew if you wish is "Purim Sameach"
Simchas Purim is hebrew but not a greeting. Its a title. Its like saying "Menuchas Shabbos" as a greeting.
good luck and Much happiness are not the same. They aren't titles they are wishes to another person. In English you could use them dual but it doesn't work with "simchas purim"

hadasa

Post Thu, Jan 27 2005, 10:23 pm
I still don't see the difference between saying "much happiness" and "Simchas Purim". Who says it doesn't work in Hebrew? Because it isn't used in modern Ivrit? If it's a greeting that has been used by Jews for years and technically makes sense, who cares if it sounds right in modern Ivrit or not?

Pearl

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 3:32 am
What do you use for "'nice' stuffers"?

and how does one make a mezuzah costume for a baby? or any other costume for baby's?
when my first was almost 3 and the second almost 1, I dressed them up as sun and moon Smile

I can read it's quite an organised business in the US/Canada, these mishloah manot, and costumes! Here people are not very creative unfortunately. We prefer to receive bought manot, not home made. Some people just buy hamans tashchen at the kosher bakery and give it to us..Whatever I get and can't eat, I bring to work (I am the only Jew here).
My husband is going to Israel tomorrow for 2 weeks, he will go shopping for candy etc in bnei barak, but I would really appreciate recieving ideas for stuffers!
I love making manot, but don't have too much time to put into them, so I just make sure they are very nice, and fun, but don't go into any theme.

zuncompany

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 6:45 am
I got an idea for the ones we send to family ( we send to all the non-frum family)! I was making dvds on my computer for the family and got a great idea! I put videos and picture slideshows on it and the family loves getting them since we live so far. So, I am going to get popcorn bags from the theaters. Fill it with movie theater stuff (candies, twislers, popcorn, etc...) and put in a dvd of the kids.

sara

Tovah

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 7:30 am
chabadnick I'm actuslly doing that just abit more simple since thats my due date OY Vey! 2 challah rolls with a small grapejuice bottle.

last yr we sent out breakfast (we got up really early) coffee mug with coffee pack cinamin stick sugar jam and a bagel on a tray it was really cute

Tefila

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 8:37 am
Quote:
Fill it with movie theater stuff (candies, twislers, popcorn, etc...) and put in a dvd of the kids

Sara Great absolutley great idea!

Shlach manos this year will just be baskets with cellophane wrapped nice with my choc dipped hamantashen popcorn and some bought stuff.
Ps the baskets I bought at a thrift store 40 of them, the real ones not garbage ones 75cents a piece thay are clean and in good condition you would never know!
Someone there asked me if I was shopping for their next holiday shock

Last edited by Tefila on Wed, Feb 16 2005, 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

lucy

Post Tue, Feb 01 2005, 9:10 am
Miki Kol ha Kavod!!!

I think we're being a bit judgemental, though I usually make most of my things but when you have to send out like 50 shalach mones it's bit difficult so buying is not the end of the world!

Chabadnick as always great idea LOL

- One year we all dress like chinese and I made a stir fry with chinese noodles, added chopsticks & fortune cookies (have to becareful not all are bishul yisroel)

- I found in the dollar store a chicken wicker basket and filled it with a chicken mug, packet of instant soup mix, noodles, cut up carrots and cellery, croutons, and soup rrecepie.

- Chocolate theme everything dipped in chocolate, cookies half black &white, hamentashim with sprinkles ontop of chocolate, little mionts, chocolate covered pretzels (like that one chabadnick hahahahaha)

- Big dip platter, cut up veggies with humus dip.

- buy a cheap big bowl, one year I found trifle bowls for like $5 put layers of different veggies or fruit?

- Make a lunch bag : sandwich, juice/water bottle, fruit, hamentashin, bag of pretzels.

Guys I need some costume ideas, I love getting dressed up what can I and my husband dress as? any ideas ?
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics