Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Using snow to toivel dishes??

Mamish Mama

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 9:18 pm
Does anyone know if it would be ok to take a pot of snow (we only have 2' outside), melt it, and use it to toivel dishes??

ra_mom

Post Wed, Dec 23 2009, 9:47 pm
You need a kosher mikvah to toivel the dishes in.

geemum

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 6:59 am
Actually I think it might be okay. I remember on vacation my dad used to toivel any new dishes in the ocean.

I dont know the halochos obviously but it sounds lke its okay.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:23 am
Ask your rav and let us know - it's an interesting question. I'm not sure if you might need to melt 40 seah and not just a potful.

YALT

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 7:39 am
well, maybe if the snow doesn't have to be melted, just toivel it outside in the snow. if you gather all the snow that's connected to each other, that should prob. be atleast 40 se'ah
Curious to know what the rov tells you.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 8:54 am
Why should "toilveling" snow be any different than "toiveling" in the the rain (puddle), or for that matter your kitchen sink? Of course you need a kosher mikvah of 40 s'ah, one that is completely valid for a niddah to be purified.

( I have read about certain mikvaos built in climates/places where rainfall was unavailable, and snow was used to fill the MIKVAH instead, because of the special circumstances, and it goes without saying all under Rabbinical supervision and consultation.)

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 8:56 am
Snow is different to rain, which is why it can be used to fill the mikva. I don't know the details though.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 8:57 am
well you certainly would have to do a lot of shoveling to get the right amount ... it can be done ... it may be easier to take a sleigh ride to an actual mikva ...

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 9:20 am
Don't you need to bring the snow to a Mikvah and fill it up? Why would anyone be able to toivel their dishes in the snow, in their driveway?

Newsie

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 9:32 am
From the Star K website:

In case of great need, it is permitted to tovel glass and china in snow if there is at least 240 cubic feet of snow joined together in any area. For example, four inches of snow in a field which has an area of 27' X 27' would be large enough to tovel vesels. The snow must fill the inside and cover the outside of the vessel, and the vessel must be connected to the required amount of snow.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 9:34 am
Wow, thanks for that interesting bit of information Newsie!

YALT

Post Thu, Dec 24 2009, 9:42 am
about it having to be in a designated pit called a mikva, I don't think there is any issue about toiveling in an ocean. Am I wrong?

ROFL

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 3:49 am
a few years ago I bought new china and was lazy about taking it to the mikva to toivel there was a big snow storm and my DH asked our rav he said you can toviel in the snow you just have to make sure that the dishes have to be completely covered in the snow
it was a nice easy ( although cold) way to toivel all the china

Inspired

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 6:48 am
The difference between snow and rain is practicvally speaking that snow doesn't need to be in a vessel to be a large amount because it isn't liquid, so if you are sure that it is a sufficient amount you should be able to toivel things in it but I believe water is better.
The other interesting thing about snow is afaik it may be moved to fill a mikvah. Rain water may not. So I know in the past they have transfered snow to a place with no rain fall to fill the mikvah.

montrealmommy

Post Fri, Dec 25 2009, 7:39 am
Our Rav told us that, aside from the min. volume required, Toivelling dishes in the snow (not melted snow which is in a mikvah) is a b'dieved and I should retoivel in a 'proper' mikvah when possible (but the 2nd time without a bracha, unless toivelling something new with it which would be the most preferrable option). The snow I toiveled stuff in was 2'+ deep on a patio of 30'x20'.

ruth

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 4:02 am
wow, what a cool way to toivel Wink

farmom

Post Tue, Dec 29 2009, 12:17 pm
My rav said that I can't use snow for toiveling keilim Sad

Shame because we have about 2 feet of snow here, still going strong, and a whole bunch of things that need toiveling.

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 10:34 am
DH asked our LOR and he said it's OK, so DH toiveled our new French coffee press and some Pyrex right outside the door yesterday. We still have almost 2 feet of snow on the ground left over from the pair of blizzards we had here last week.

mamacita

Post Mon, Feb 15 2010, 7:40 pm
Now the question becomes, what constitutes "great need"? How about, shalom bayis after waiting for dh to get around to it Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics