Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains
Kids Clothing Gemach Help

BlumaG

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 12:08 pm
I would like to start a kids clothing gemach in our community since one doesnt exist yet here and I think our community could really gain from one

Does anyone know anything about how they are run?
Is there a fee usually charged or you just take what you need?

All info is greatly appreciated

greentiger

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 12:20 pm
generally I think every gemach has its own rules and you have to decide what will work for you re dropoff times, condition clothes are given in etc. Also most places do charge a minimal fee per item. It might be decided based on condition or just set prices for everything/ set price to fill a bag.

sunshine!

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 12:28 pm
One of the Gemachs here have the following guidelines.
Dropoff is a specific day, they charge $5.00 a bag to be dropped off. They only accept new and excellent used clothing-they say "if you would not put it on your child, don't send it to us!"

They set the gemach up as a store with racks and all, everything sorted into sizes. They also separate girls and boys clothes and type (like sweaters with sweaters, pants with pants etc.)

Volunteers are always helpful, to help organize and hang clothes.

They have specific days for Gemach customers, or by appointment. They charge a small fee for people purchasing the clothes (so they don't feel like outright shnorrers) nothing over a dollar or two.

When customers come in, they are treated like royalty, helped out to find the proper sizes and receive their items in a respectable shopping bag (not recycled, crumpled bags). It lends itself to an attitude of dignity.

Good Luck and Tizku L'mitzvos!

BlumaG

Post Mon, Feb 02 2009, 1:06 pm
could you just ask for a small donation for whatever they take?
I don't want ppl to feel like shnorrers but I hate to charge ppl for stuff - the plus side is you can then replenish the stock...
so are ppl supposed to return the clothing or its just like a REALLY cheaply priced thrift shop?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains