Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Lately I Have Been Thinking...
Previous  1  2

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 29 2005, 7:57 pm
for lots of young people, Kollel or not, they're not worried about their money going to the govt. because they don't got no money!

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 29 2005, 7:58 pm
for lots of young people, Kollel or not, they're not worried about their money going to the govt. because they don't got no money!

and in a joint account, if one dies, that isn't a problem, right?

so again, you're referring to a major tragedy in which both parents are killed, rather rare, thank G-d

stem

Post Thu, Dec 29 2005, 8:02 pm
It's not neccessarily true that everything goes automatically to the spouse if there is no will. It's complex, and the government is not someone you want to trust with your money.
About not writing a will because they have no money... that's foolish talk. Everyone has possesions, and at least a couple of dollars in their bank account. And if they don't today, who knows if they'll suddenly have some money tomorrow?

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 29 2005, 8:10 pm
stem wrote:
It's not neccessarily true that everything goes automatically to the spouse if there is no will.

I don't mean "goes to the spouse", I mean, if it's a joint account, it doesn't "go" anywhere, because it belongs equally to the other spouse

no?

supermom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2006, 4:19 am
Motek wrote:
so again, you're referring to a major tragedy in which both parents are killed, rather rare, thank G-d

Rolling Eyes not to rare though. heard of too many here in israel with all these crazy bombs and the earthquakes and all nope not rare after all. Rolling Eyes

elisecohen

Post Sun, Jan 01 2006, 4:46 am
Back to the original question, it's a very important one. For us we have kids with special needs, and it's no small thing to ask someone to take them on--one will probably never be independent, another might not be and certainly needs extra care now, and a third has a life long digestive disease that he will probably be able to manage by himself as an adult but he needs a lot of medical care on a daily basis now. Do we expect that if c'v we couldn't be here for them they would go to my parents (not frum), dh's parents (who can't take being with the kids for 24 hours at a time and stay at a hotel or a neighbor's when they visit), one of my siblings (not frum again) or dh's sister (who might well not choose to take on such a burden)? If we don't specify, do they go to social services c'v? We've talked about particular friends who might be up to the challenge, but it's a huge thing to take all of our kids together, do we expect they could be split up? I expect Moshiach any moment and all of this worry will be for nothing, but OTOH Hash-m expects us to do our share of work and preparation for our futures and our children.

supermom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2006, 12:08 pm
wow elisecohen you got a problem Sad so what do you do not always is splitting up good for kids and I am worried about that since the bigger the family the less likely anyone will want to take in a whole family.

Tefila

Post Sun, Jan 01 2006, 6:15 pm
Supermom don't be a pessimist and walk around fearing the worst. shock Be bsimcha and try your best to be safe and encourage your spouse and kids too. And let the worry fall somewhere-else. Otherwise hate to inform you but it's dangerous to get out of bed then shock

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jan 11 2006, 1:30 pm
I won't be here, thankfully. morbid thought!

amother

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 8:52 am
we took out a life insurance policy about a year ago as per the direction of our mashpia. we have not yet formally drawn up a will, though we do plan on it. I think it's important as far as the legal aspect of it, if chv'sh something were to happen, the state can gets custod of children if there is no specification otherwise.

the reasons we haven't done it yet is:
a)although we were advised to do it, it doesn't seem like something we'll need so it's not on the priority list.
b)we are having trouble figuring out who we can entrust our children to.

as far as the rebbe instructing people to get life insurance, I've never heard it, and have only heard to the contrary which was the reason we didn't do it until last year when our mashpia advised us to.

frumie

Post Thu, Jan 12 2006, 11:31 am
my dh and I have been talking about this issue lately and have come to the conclusion that we can't die b/c our families are nuts. just kidding. we joke around about the fact that it's amzing we survived given what our parents think is okay baby care. my mom thinks it's okay to put a 10 month old on a chair and it's calming to put a blanket over her head. his mom gets more food on the baby's outfit than mouth and tells tales of leaving my sleeping, infant husband home alone while she got his brother at preschool and how she couln't tak ethe crying and would go in the basement and drink! also, his family is not frum so it couldn't be my bro and sis in law and my bro is a bochur and I'm not sure he would be a good choice. I don't know if I could trust any of my friends either
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics