Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
TIP: Put a raw carrot in your oil
Previous  1  2

chaylizi

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 10:34 am
normama wrote:
I don/t think you should be frying in olive oil. it has a very low smoke point and is not great for frying cuz of the high temps you need for frying.

I don't really fry anything. only sautee. doughnuts fried in olive oil doesn't sound appetizing in any case. I only mentioned the olive oil, because the article said it was one of the most stable oils.

shnitzel

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 11:42 am
Please be careful when you fry with peanut oil. Make sure anyone coming over has no nut allergies and make sure your kids know and are aware they need to be careful who they share with.
You can't see what type of oil a donut is fried with and it can be seriously dangerous

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 11:50 am
shnitzel wrote:
Please be careful when you fry with peanut oil. Make sure anyone coming over has no nut allergies and make sure your kids know and are aware they need to be careful who they share with.
You can't see what type of oil a donut is fried with and it can be seriously dangerous

Yes, if CH"V my husband had one of those doughnuts, we would be in MAJOR trouble. epi pens would be used and we'd g-d willing be at the hosp. in time. Definitely advertise peanut oil usage. And sesame oil as well...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 11:54 am
GAMZu wrote:
Truth is, what do you think you are getting commercially made donuts? And potato chips... and... and...

So you dont ever give your kids any of that either? Do you only give them carrot sticks (and chocolate!)? Tongue Out

greentiger

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 12:04 pm
GAMZu wrote:
Truth is, what do you think you are getting commercially made donuts? And potato chips... and... and...

True that. If you buy fries from a resturant, chances are the oil has been used more than you would ever manage to at home.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 12:34 pm
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
GAMZu wrote:

So you dont ever give your kids any of that either? Do you only give them carrot sticks (and chocolate!)? Tongue Out

I try not to, but during chanuka I don't deprive them of donuts (within reason of course.) Potato chips I buy on occasion, because most such snacks are fried anyway (Bissli, Super Snacks, Corn Chips...) but at least potato chips have all natural ingredients.

I buy only a couple of small bags at a time bec my son doesn't know limits, and he thinks if I allow it occasionally, he can eat the entire supply I get that time. Rolling Eyes

chaylizi

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 2:13 pm
GAMZu wrote:

I buy only a couple of small bags at a time bec my son doesn't know limits, and he thinks if I allow it occasionally, he can eat the entire supply I get that time. Rolling Eyes

wow, are our kids related? their capacity for junk knows no limits. although I have somehow managed to get my kids to believe that wheat crackers=cookies. must have been a miracle.

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 2:22 pm
bubby wrote:

I've done the carrot trick...poor, defenseless carrot Sad But I needed lots of carrots, enough for Tzimmes.)

but who likes tzimmes Rolling Eyes

if you get light olive oil it is healthier and fries ... if not use evoo & a mix of reg oil
this right before the big chanuka fry ...

Abigail

Post Thu, Dec 18 2008, 2:29 pm
so how big should the carrot stick be? iv done this before but I only used a slice of carrot and it didnt work. do I use a whole carrot? it will take up so much room in my frying pan??

chanagital

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 7:51 pm
I tried it when I cooked my snitzle for shabbos... it didn't work with peanut oil... just turned the carrot black... but there were burnt peaces on the snitzle.

jayne

Post Mon, Dec 22 2008, 6:55 am
My daughter is extremely allergic to peanuts...her allergist told me that peanut oil will not trigger peanut allergies. Something about the filtering process. I'm still afraid to try it, though.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics