Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Too many toys

momto4

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 12:50 pm
what is there to get besides toys for chanuka presents? I have a lot of relatives who like to buy stuff for my kids and they let me pick out the stuff first which is very nice of them. here is the situation. my 4 older kids boy-9 girl-7 girl-6 boy-5 have A TON of toys. I dont want to get a zillion more toys now that they will play with for a few days and then be bored of and mess up the playroom even more. any other ideas of different kind of things to get that we will all appreciate? tia!

octopus

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 12:52 pm
give them time! do something special with them! It doesn't have to be expensive!

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 12:52 pm
Craft projects?

Also, a portion of the gifts could possibly be things for the future like seforim, or children's seforim?

What about a gift certificate to do somethig fun (ie. trip to a playplace, museum, or zoo)?

bebe3

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 1:10 pm
fish and a fish tank. One big toy to share like an art easel or something.

avigailmiriam

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 1:17 pm
My parents never really gave us toys for Chanaukah. Candy was always a really big hit. Since we weren't allowed it normally, getting a chocolate bar was a huge deal for a present. My mom once baked us each a special desert on one night of Chanaukah. Every year on one day, our present would be $5 and a trip to the local used bookstore. $5 would buy us dozens of books and we were so happy. We also used to get our new winter shoes on one night of Chanaukah.

flowerpower

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 1:19 pm
Gift cards to certain stores?

Barbara

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 1:43 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Gift cards to certain stores?

I'd suggest a joint gift that all of the kids could enjoy -- a magazine subscription? movie passes? museum passes?

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 1:45 pm
Maybe board games are better than toys.

I also vote for really cool craft supplies. Heck, I would love it if someone would buy that for me.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 2:39 pm
whatever happened to good ole-fashioned chanuka gelt? we never ever got toys or any other kind of gift for chanuka. it was considerd a non jewish custom.

if your relatives insist on buying gifts, try books or magazine subscriptions, or something mitzvah-related, like their own pushka or special siddur or yarmulka. girls might appreciate pretty accessories like hair ornaments.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics