Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Allergies
Allergic reaction to sugar
Previous  1  2

octopus

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 6:38 pm
Seraph wrote:
Seraph wrote:
What do you serve at parties? Cucumber sticks? I think a sugar treat on a rare occasion is fine.
oh, and when I say a sugar treat, I mean like 1 chocolate chip, or something THAT small...

CHOKING HAZARD!!!

Ima'la

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 7:08 pm
How on earth could someone choke on something that small? If a child did not chew it properly it would slide right down whole.

cassandra wrote:
I wonder if "allergic to sugar" means "we don't want our kid to have sugar because we think it's poisonous"

Sugar is a common "allergy" "diagnosis" by non-conventional allergists. When you go to these, you usually come away with a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG list of "allergies." Most of which are not TRUE medical allergies.

allgood

Post Sun, Sep 21 2008, 8:07 pm
I actually heard second hand about a ten year old who kept on screaming that her head was killing her. They took the child for many testings, and they were sent immediately to check for a tumor. The tests came back fine. Someone told them to go to an allergist, and she came back as being allergic to sugar. With the sugar removed from her diet she suppossedly was fine. I hear this second hand so can't vouch for it.

As a parent with a child with allergies I did some extensive checking of playgroups. Many of them told me that I would need to send in snacks with my child for when they have a Shabbos party in case there is something my dd can't have. I didn't find anything wrong with that. Maybe try speaking to the parent and request this from her. If you're baking something you can ask the parent in advance to send something else in. The child should be able to bake with you (just make sure the allergy really isn't that bad), and he won't know the difference between what he has and what the other children have.

Also, please do not give chocolate chips if there are any children with nut allergies. From what I've seen parve chocolate usually has a strong presence of nuts.

Hope it work out!

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 9:01 am
There are b'h no nut allergies in my playgroup.
Allergies are wheat, sugar, dairy, peaches, tomatoes.

I solved the solution for shabbos party.
I made waffles. Spelt, honey, and apple concentrate waffles for this allergic boy. (Made a bunch and froze them.) Made regular waffles for the rest of the kids.
Raisins.
And cucumbers.

The kids love it. Healthy treats. :-D

pecan

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 9:38 am
I don't know how old the children are but I want you to be aware that raisins are a choking hazard at a young age and grapes are too. Grapes must be cut up!

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 9:41 am
piekn wrote:
I don't know how old the children are but I want you to be aware that raisins are a choking hazard at a young age and grapes are too. Grapes must be cut up!
can you please tell me how raisins are a choking hazard? grapes I know, they're big enough to block the windpipe. But raisins? Question shock

rowo

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 9:42 am
aren't u dealing with 1.5 yr olds?
with that age treats are more for us than them.
for my the first bday of ds I made a sugar free cake with fruit juice and fruit because I didn't want him eating regular cake. sure, I was happy, he had his bday cake and it wasn't too unhealthy. he ate it happily, but he's just as happy to eat a rice cake, fruit, plain pretzel etc or any other food that he likes.
if you bring out the food on a special shabbos party plate and they have all the excitement of their shabbos party, they'll prob be just as happy even if it is just the same fruit they have everyday.
plus it saves you all that work. which btw I think it's pretty impressive that you went and made waffles, and then made special ones for one child . in any place that I've worked, if there was a child thta couldn't eat the regular snacks the parents would keep a bag of snacks that the child could eat in the classroom, keep up to date with what was going on in case there would be a special cake or s/thing so they would sent s/thing special so their child wouldn't feel left out, and once in a while bring enough of the snack for all the kids so that e/one would be the same. but this was with older children.
one more thing - raisins are a great treat. sweet and fun for the kids to eat, plus good for their fine motor skills - picking up tiny things. ds has been eating them for ages, even when he only had two teeth, and I was never worried about choking. I just always make sure they haven't gone hard.

Seraph

Post Mon, Sep 22 2008, 9:53 am
rowo wrote:
aren't u dealing with 1.5 yr olds?
with that age treats are more for us than them.
for my the first bday of ds I made a sugar free cake with fruit juice and fruit because I didn't want him eating regular cake. sure, I was happy, he had his bday cake and it wasn't too unhealthy. he ate it happily, but he's just as happy to eat a rice cake, fruit, plain pretzel etc or any other food that he likes.
if you bring out the food on a special shabbos party plate and they have all the excitement of their shabbos party, they'll prob be just as happy even if it is just the same fruit they have everyday.
plus it saves you all that work. which btw I think it's pretty impressive that you went and made waffles, and then made special ones for one child . in any place that I've worked, if there was a child thta couldn't eat the regular snacks the parents would keep a bag of snacks that the child could eat in the classroom, keep up to date with what was going on in case there would be a special cake or s/thing so they would sent s/thing special so their child wouldn't feel left out, and once in a while bring enough of the snack for all the kids so that e/one would be the same. but this was with older children.
one more thing - raisins are a great treat. sweet and fun for the kids to eat, plus good for their fine motor skills - picking up tiny things. ds has been eating them for ages, even when he only had two teeth, and I was never worried about choking. I just always make sure they haven't gone hard.
I m dealing with 1.5 year olds, and trust me, they totally think waffles are the biggest treat in the world! They want waffles every day now, I say only for shabbos party.
Yea, I know I'm nuts that I made him special waffles of his own, but I didnt want him flipping out and being jealous that the other kids are getting something different...

Blair

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 8:53 am
Try splenda it is a natural product derived from sugar.

Seraph

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 9:06 am
Blair wrote:
Try splenda it is a natural product derived from sugar.
uhm no its a poisonous chemical and I would never touch it myself, let alone give it to kids.

Butterfly

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 4:50 pm
My daughter gets severe headaches every time she eats anything that contains sugar. I've heard it from others too.

My granddaughter is medically allergic to sugar. Her reactions are both rashes and/or hives.

I use Xylitol instead of sugar. It is healthy and even safe for diabetics. The taste is so natural that I don't feel the slightest difference between this and the regular sugar. No aftertaste at all!!

Stevia is also a healthy sugar replacement, but it has a bit of an aftertaste... some brands taste more natural than others though.

Splenda is very unhealthy.. and IMO has a bit of an aftertaste too.

JC

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 4:54 pm
Butterfly wrote:

I use Xylitol instead of sugar. It is healthy and even safe for diabetics. The taste is so natural that I don't feel the slightest difference between this and the regular sugar. No aftertaste at all!!

Have you seen Xylitol with a hechsher.? I would like to ask if it needs a hechsher, but I know AYLOR Tongue Out

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 5:27 pm
you can buy xylitol (with hechsher) in Monsey (at Rockland Kosher) for sure. I would presume it could also be found in NYC/the 5 boroghs and Lakewood.

Butterfly

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 9:29 pm
You can find afew kosher companies on the web if you google "KOSHER XYLITOL". I buy it at my health food store in Boro Park.

Butterfly

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 10:04 pm
Seraph wrote:

Yea, I know I'm nuts that I made him special waffles of his own, but I didn't want him flipping out and being jealous that the other kids are getting something different...

Why do you think that you are nuts when you did such a wonderful deed. It shows how thoughtful and caring you are.

I say "You are an exceptionally good hearted person". Very few people would go out of their way to do what you did!

And the Mitzvah...!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics