Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Is this a good opportunity for Kiruv?

Have you ever tried to be mekareiv someone?
Never.  
 4%  [ 1 ]
Never, but I've thought about trying.  
 9%  [ 2 ]
Never, because I'm uncomfotable about it.  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Yes, once or twice.  
 47%  [ 10 ]
Yes, regularly, whenever I get an opportunity.  
 38%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 21

amother

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 9:44 pm
Ladies I'd like your opinions, please. My uncle was just niftar. My aunt and her children ( yes not his - though he basically raised them, and yes their real father who is also jewish and forever out of the picture is alive) and one of her grandchildren (who he basically also raised-son of a teen deadbeat - out of the picture since day 1 and a really messed up mother) are all sitting shiva for a half a week in the daughters house next to the x-mas tree (her husband is catholic). Now that you sort of get that picture, I am thinking about my chance to maybe say something on a jewish topic to them. They are good people, all raised not frum except the aunt who just fell into the wrong crowd as a teen and slowly lost everything, not against frum, sometimes they do show an interest and are always respectful of frum, just frum life is foreign to them and they think it's okay how they are. So what do you think of me explaining the concept of techiyas hamaisim, schar in olam habah for mitzvos you do, how you can do mitzvos l'iloy nishmas, and suggest maybe they'd like to pick a simple mitzvah to do for my uncle's neshama? How about some advice how to phrase it, what to say exactly, etc. I would like to hear what all of you think.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Nov 30 2005, 9:53 pm
I don't know what to tell you -- but I say don't be pushy. If they want to know, or something comes up, you can talk.
I've tried to be m'karov some not-yet-frum friends/relatives I know, but not by debating or "pushing" divrei torah down their throats. Rather, by inviting them over, being there to answer questions, and just being a good (hopefully!) rolemodel.
Hatzlocha raba and may you make an infact, whatever you decide.
PS you may want to ask a rov or mashpia regarding this.

baby's mom

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 12:54 am
I agree with you Brachad

tzivi

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 1:13 am
I would definitely speak with a Rov before attempting any kiruv in such a situation.

hisorerus

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 1:21 am
If they say something about wishing they could do something for him, you can suggest a small Mitzva. A more subtle way to approach it would to be to take on something yourself, some Hidur, and tell them about it.

technic

Post Thu, Dec 01 2005, 3:43 am
amother I found ur introduction VERY entertaining (altho I realise its a sad and serious situation of course...)

the advice 2 get advice from a rav is good - but since theyre not ANTI-frum, and since they ARE sitting shiva, which is a JEWISH forum 4 pple 2 come and comfort them, u could always introduce the concepts u mentioned and see how they respond - they might find them v comforting, and u can judge their response as u go along...good luck Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics