Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Our landlord is selling. Help and advice
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 1:40 pm
Our landlord informed us that he's selling the house. Possibly to another landlord possibly to someone who will move in

Our lease states that he's required to give us 90 days written notice. So we're looking now.

What are my rights and requirements regarding selling the house. What's reasonable?

How many hours a week for agents to show the house? Can I insist on specific times? 24 hour notice?
I know what Google tells me the law says. I want to know facts on the ground what people do.

I trying to maintain a balance between being accommodating and also preserving my rights to live in the house because I paid rent.

amother
Melon

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 1:43 pm
Laws very based on location. Without even know what country we live in, we can't really provide accurate answers.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 1:44 pm
amother Melon wrote:
Laws very based on location. Without even know what country we live in, we can't really provide accurate answers.

Nj

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 1:58 pm
You can definitely set certain times. What ends up working best is dedicating one day a week for it. This way you clean up and stay out of the house for a few hours that day. And the landlord can set up a bunch of people to come see it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:01 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
You can definitely set certain times. What ends up working best is dedicating one day a week for it. This way you clean up and stay out of the house for a few hours that day. And the landlord can set up a bunch of people to come see it.

Do I HAVE to stay out of the house?
What if that doesn't work for me.
Or can we stay home even though people are coming to look.?

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:03 pm
You don't have to stay out of the house. When my landlord sold, I specifically said people can only come look at the house when I'm there. I didn't feel comfortable with people traipsing through my space without me home.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
Do I HAVE to stay out of the house?
What if that doesn't work for me.
Or can we stay home even though people are coming to look.?

It’s often more comfortable for you to not be there. You don’t have to stay out.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:07 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
You don't have to stay out of the house. When my landlord sold, I specifically said people can only come look at the house when I'm there. I didn't feel comfortable with people traipsing through my space without me home.

How often did you give windows of time?
Every day? Once a week? Somewhere in between?
Did they just call and say hi someone's coming?
Is 3 hours on Sun and 2 hours 1 weeknight with 24 hours notice reasonable?
Should the Real Estate agent be calling us 3 times a day with questions and information on showings?

Im trying to figure out what boundaries are reasonable

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:09 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
It’s often more comfortable for you to not be there. You don’t have to stay out.

I'm a very private person. I don't like strangers walking through my house, opening my closets and cabinets.
And definitely not when I'm home.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:09 pm
I told my landlord I need advance notice. The broker had my number and was able to call and see if it's a good time. I tried to accommodate whenever I could.

BH it sold fairly quickly so I didn't have many people coming to look at the house and it wasn't too much of a hassle.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
How often did you give windows of time?
Every day? Once a week? Somewhere in between?
Did they just call and say hi someone's coming?
Is 3 hours on Sun and 2 hours 1 weeknight with 24 hours notice reasonable?
Should the Real Estate agent be calling us 3 times a day with questions and information on showings?

Im trying to figure out what boundaries are reasonable

A few hours on Sunday and one evening a week is perfect. You can also ask that they only call you once a week and you can’t take calls all day.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:31 pm
amother Tulip wrote:
A few hours on Sunday and one evening a week is perfect. You can also ask that they only call you once a week and you can’t take calls all day.

Are you a landlord? A broker? A tenant?
I'm just curious what you experience is.

Because we set a few hours on Sun and one evening. And now the agent is calling us, this week one more evening. And also Friday afternoon. And also and also.

I'm trying to get a feel for if I should be more flexible or if I can hold my boundaries.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

Because we set a few hours on Sun and one evening. And now the agent is calling us, this week one more evening. And also Friday afternoon. And also and also.

I'm trying to get a feel for if I should be more flexible or if I can hold my boundaries.

If people want the house badly enough they will come when you say they can. And if they’re not serious, then why are they coming? I think it’s ok to stick to your boundaries.

tweety1

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:37 pm
amother OP wrote:

Please give them either 2 evenings a week or Sunday a few hours plus 1 evening. When my tenant was moving she gave us once a week between 2-3 o'clock in the afternoon. The brokers found that very unreasonable. It wasn't so much about the once a week but about the hours. During the day most people work.

tweety1

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:38 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:
If people want the house badly enough they will come when you say they can. And if they’re not serious, then why are they coming? I think it’s ok to stick to your boundaries.

Friday you can definitely say capital NO but if you can accommodate another evening then whey not

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:44 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Please give them either 2 evenings a week or Sunday a few hours plus 1 evening. When my tenant was moving she gave us once a week between 2-3 o'clock in the afternoon. The brokers found that very unreasonable. It wasn't so much about the once a week but about the hours. During othe day most people work.

We designated Sunday 11-3 and tues night from 6:30-8 as times we would make the house available as long as we got a text the night before.

Tues night, she showed people around. At 8pm, I started homework, showers. 8:30 she walked in "this potential buyers was running late".
Is it reasonable for me to say get out.

She then called my husband and said we need to also be available 5-8 on Wed or 1-5 on Friday.
I think that is unreasonable. And my 3 hours on Sun and 1 1/2 hours one week night are fine. I also think I can insist that 8pm is done and not just a few more viewers who are running late.

But im trying to see if im reasonable.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
We designated Sunday 11-3 and tues night from 6:30-8 as times we would make the house available as long as we got a text the night before.

Tues night, she showed people around. At 8pm, I started homework, showers. 8:30 she walked in "this potential buyers was running late".

She then called my husband and said we need to also be available 5-8 on Wed or 1-5 on Friday.
I think that is unreasonable. And my 3 hours on Sun and 1 1/2 hours one week night are fine. I also think I can insist that 8pm is done and not just a few more viewers who are running late.

You are very reasonable. You don’t have to accommodate people who run late. And you gave them enough hours.

amother
Tulip

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:46 pm
amother OP wrote:

I’m none. I was a tenant for many years and my family works in real estate. Just say no.

amother
Magenta

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

As someone looking to buy now, it sounds reasonable. The broker should stop harassing you. You keep saying, the next time the house is available is Sunday. You just stick to the original discussed times. If it becomes unreasonable, don't pick up on the broker and tell the landlord that he needs to stick to arranged viewing times.

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, May 16 2024, 2:53 pm
Brokers are trying to sell the house and I don’t care much about you, they will push limits. You can be firm.

When I was looking to buy a house, one renter told the broker to stand at the front door and they would give the tour of the house. they didn’t want the broker in the bedrooms and they didn’t need the broker to see more of their privacy. I respected the renters for that
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating