Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Going out of my mind from 7 year old who doesnt GO TO SLEEP
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:16 pm
I gave him TWO melatonin tonight (1 mg each)
He has a bedtime routine, he showers, puts on pj etc, was in bed before 8:30
I played some story tapes until 9:15 (because the baby woke up and I went to baby)
then I played some music
now it's 10:13 and he's out of bed saying he can't fall asleep, he's scared, he'll never fall asleep

it makes no difference what time I start bedtime, what I do, what I don't do. he's up for 3 hours. he sleeps in late and misses school which is another huge problem. he has huge bags under his eyes. all his bloodwork obviously looks normal. he looks like an unhealthy child who doesn't sleep.

I don't know what to do with him. this happens every single night. he has anxiety and his thoughts spiral. I don't know how to help him, honestly I ignore him most of the time. I know I should be giving him attention but I don't have it in me. it just never ends with him. he can be up for hours listening to stories or music. I don't know what to do about him but I need a night and a life.

ps he is a pandas child. so to begin with he's a little crazy (people don't like when I say that but that is the truth.)

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:17 pm
If this is how you feel, can you imagine how it feels for him- the one experiencing the anxiety and insomnia???

4geesmom

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:18 pm
It may be his bedtime is to late and he's overtired by the time he gets to bed.
At 7 years old my kids bedtime was 7/7:30

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:20 pm
4geesmom wrote:
It may be his bedtime is to late and he's overtired by the time he gets to bed.
At 7 years old my kids bedtime was 7/7:30

I agree with you but I can't fight the whole world. (starting with my husband)
in my dreams my house goes to sleep by 7:30, and when my husband is away that's what happens. but he comes home from work too late and everything gets pushed off

amother
Tanzanite

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:22 pm
amother OP wrote:
I agree with you but I can't fight the whole world. (starting with my husband)
in my dreams my house goes to sleep by 7:30, and when my husband is away that's what happens. but he comes home from work too late and everything gets pushed off

If your son falls asleep well when he goes to bed at 7:30, then this is what he needs every day! It's not fair to your son to make him stay up later.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:28 pm
amother Hydrangea wrote:
If this is how you feel, can you imagine how it feels for him- the one experiencing the anxiety and insomnia???

I can give myself shame and judgment just fine

momallhours

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:31 pm
I feel for you... same here no advice just hugs

amother
Kiwi

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:47 pm
Maybe start with a higher dose of melatonin. 1mg is very little and probably making it harder for him to fall asleep because it's not enough

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:05 pm
I really relate ! And I have a lot of guilt about the melatonin. I’m totally fine with it don’t judge anyone who needs but I always assumed it would be a short term fix but we’re coming up on 2 years with no end in sight! My only advice (I really have to push myself!!!) is to wipe my kids out with physical activity. Today was absolutely gorgeous weather so I put 4 scooters in my car and took my kids on a walk by a lake nearby. Twice last week I turned on the sprinkler (muddy floors and all in may!!) my kids love jump rope (I have to turn it.. ) so we’ll do that. A few times in the last 2 weeks we did bike rides. I’m so exhausted but I really push myself . My husband works crazy shifts and some nights doesn’t come home so I’m on my own but I know they if I do this almost always the kids will fall asleep cuz they just have no energy left

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:11 pm
I would think playing tapes and stories would be very stimulating, that’s not something I’d do before bed. You could try the stories before pjs so it’s not right before. Alternatively, actually reading him a story so he gets that attention he needs before bed so he’s not getting out of bed seeking it as much? As another posted said my 7yr old is in bed by 7/7:30pm I think you’re getting him to bed a bit too late. It’s really so hard when we are juggling so much! I feel for you!

amother
Brown

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:13 pm
I don't know where your located but you can try calling Isaac from Refuah Pharmacy.
I hear he helps alot of ppl with pandas & getting kids to sleep better.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:15 pm
Sleep regression and insomnia is part and parcel of pandas. Pandas kids have too much dopamine and glutamate, the excitatory neurotransmitters. Their brains don't know how to shut down. It's physiological, not emotional or psychological. We needed a whole protocol, melatonin wasn't enough. What worked for us:

Methylated b complex in the morning. Methyls are needed to convert serotonin into melatonin but taking b vitamins to close to bed can interfere with sleep as some of them are very energizing.

Magnesium malate and taurate in the morning and afternoon. Magnesium threonate in the evening. Magnesium is extremely calming to the immune system and nervous system and one of our most effective pandas interventions.

Epsom salt and magnesium flakes footsoak in the evening 2-3 times a week and magnesium lotion the night we didn't do the soak

Gaba, l theanine and 5htp about an hour before bed. These all help increase calming neurotransmitters.

1 dropperful sleepy from bioray mixed into a little grape juice.

1/2 mg melatonin half hour before bed.

amother
Daffodil

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:20 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
I would think playing tapes and stories would be very stimulating, that’s not something I’d do before bed. You could try the stories before pjs so it’s not right before. Alternatively, actually reading him a story so he gets that attention he needs before bed so he’s not getting out of bed seeking it as much? As another posted said my 7yr old is in bed by 7/7:30pm I think you’re getting him to bed a bit too late. It’s really so hard when we are juggling so much! I feel for you!

My seven year old comes home at five. And needs to eat, do homework, play, shower- how are they in bed by 7:30?

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:20 pm
Just here to say that when your kids don't sleep it's crazy hard. You can love your kids endlessly but still need them to go to bed at night.

If possible, go to a room and close the door. Even if you have to take a long shower or something. You need some alone time.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:26 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
My seven year old comes home at five. And needs to eat, do homework, play, shower- how are they in bed by 7:30?

My dd is also home after 5pm I guess we hustle 🤷‍♀️

mha3484

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:27 pm
My 7 year old who puts the H in adhd sleeps 8:30-6:30 and it’s enough for him so if 7:30 is too early you are not alone. Mine come home at 4 and aren't tired at 7:30.

amother
Starflower

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:51 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
Sleep regression and insomnia is part and parcel of pandas. Pandas kids have too much dopamine and glutamate, the excitatory neurotransmitters. Their brains don't know how to shut down. It's physiological, not emotional or psychological. We needed a whole protocol, melatonin wasn't enough. What worked for us:

Methylated b complex in the morning. Methyls are needed to convert serotonin into melatonin but taking b vitamins to close to bed can interfere with sleep as some of them are very energizing.

Magnesium malate and taurate in the morning and afternoon. Magnesium threonate in the evening. Magnesium is extremely calming to the immune system and nervous system and one of our most effective pandas interventions.

Epsom salt and magnesium flakes footsoak in the evening 2-3 times a week and magnesium lotion the night we didn't do the soak

Gaba, l theanine and 5htp about an hour before bed. These all help increase calming neurotransmitters.

1 dropperful sleepy from bioray mixed into a little grape juice.

1/2 mg melatonin half hour before bed.

What company is this magnesium lotion add where do you get it? Where can I access all this information? My daughter also has pandas and has a hard time sleeping

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:57 pm
My son just turned 8 and goes to bed 8:30 and some nights doesn't fall asleep until 9:30!

But as long as he stays in bed, I dont care. He reads..

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:58 pm
amother Starflower wrote:
What company is this magnesium lotion add where do you get it? Where can I access all this information? My daughter also has pandas and has a hard time sleeping
This is a good one https://www.amazon.com/Magnesi.....r=8-4

Or this one from earthley https://earthley.com/product/g.....tion/

amother
NeonPink

Post Tue, May 14 2024, 12:49 am
mha3484 wrote:
My 7 year old who puts the H in adhd sleeps 8:30-6:30 and it’s enough for him so if 7:30 is too early you are not alone. Mine come home at 4 and aren't tired at 7:30.

Same my 6 y old also sleeps these hours. If she falls asleep 730 then she’s up too early.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics