Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Would you buy a house without a driveway? (Brooklyn]
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Would you consider a house without a driveway (brooklyn)
Yes  
 19%  [ 29 ]
No  
 75%  [ 113 ]
Yes since we don't have a car  
 4%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 149

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:00 am
amother Candycane wrote:
Honestly, finding a spor is not really a skill. There's either a spot or there isn't.

Are you saying that when you dh is driving in those congested areas in flatbush he's seeing spots available that others aren't seeing and are just driving by?

We don’t live in the most congested area. When he comes home 6pm lots of cars of workers leave so it’s not hard to find a spot.
If desperate he parks on the avenue overnight. We live in BP

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:04 am
amother Whitewash wrote:
Where do you live?

Boro Park. Some of the newer houses have a cut in the center of the house taking away an extra parking space. They either extended the original or moved it. So he semi blocks (they can get out). There’s a city website where you can find out.

amother
Charcoal

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:06 am
My DD just bought a house with no driveway.
She’s constructing one by removing some of the front of the house to just just fit her van.
Literally ending just before the sidewalk starts.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:09 am
amother Turquoise wrote:
Please explain how to figure out which curb cuts are illegal.

https://newyorkparkingticket.c.....egal/

We only checked on our block and only the person whose curb cut was suspiciously taking away 2 spots.

amother
Tulip

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 9:47 am
I did it and I regret it. Not sure if regret is the right word since the house is literally perfect otherwise but I've ended up in tears way too many times after missing my kids busses because I was circling for 20 mins looking for a spot.

amother
Peony

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 10:52 am
We have a driveway and it’s constantly blocked by other ppl. So just bc your house has a driveway it’s still not guaranteed you’ll have a parking space. And if you have 2 cars like we do and it’s a 1 car spot and not a 2 car spot that’s still a parking issue. Bh my driveway is long and technically can fit another 2 cars but the houses are so close together you wouldn’t be able to open the doors..

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:11 am
We did it. We were looking for a house for years, we finally found one we could afford that was large enough. It had a front yard and we had assumed we could make it in a parking spot. We also didn't have a car at that time. We found out that we couldn't make it into a spot and it is annoying but I do not use my car for my regular life. My husband takes the car to work and back, we usually find parking on our block or at the corners. It is an annoyance for sure, and if I was the one driving everywhere with little kids, it would be even more annoying but this is Brooklyn. You take what you can get.

amother
Whitewash

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 11:52 am
amother Olive wrote:
Boro Park. Some of the newer houses have a cut in the center of the house taking away an extra parking space. They either extended the original or moved it. So he semi blocks (they can get out). There’s a city website where you can find out.

I specified Flatbush, there are more cars and drivers is Flatbush, keep in mind most Chassidish women don't drive.

amother
Narcissus

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 3:17 pm
NO! Not worth it. Find a different house.
Also putting a parking spot in front may not be legal, find out.

PrairieFairy

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 5:15 pm
Depends on the area. Marine park maybe. Flatbush, BP, and Williamsburgh, depends on the streets. Central or busy areas, no no no no.

Not unless the house is a steal of a deal or a yerusha or some other version of bargain that the financial gain is enough to justify paying for way more ubers and parking garages or rental driveway so that I don't have to think about that and I build it into it ahead of time.

Time is money and you can circle for HOURS in some areas. I can take the bus to some places or an uber, but if you live in those areas, I don't imagine finding parking.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 5:25 pm

Last edited by amother on Mon, May 13 2024, 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
DarkPurple

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 5:26 pm
My first apt had no driveway and it was TERRIBLE. Would never consider it again, ever. We were in a very central location. My husband would circle for hours at night. Also my dc has therapies and so many therapist made sure beforehand I had a driveway before accepting his case

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 5:55 pm
amother Olive wrote:
https://newyorkparkingticket.com/nyc-driveway-is-illegal/

We only checked on our block and only the person whose curb cut was suspiciously taking away 2 spots.

95% of them in Boro park are illegal. The parking space has to be 8.5 x 18 feet or a driveway or in front of a garage.
Basically only 40 street and 41 street between 12 and 13 has legal carports chances or all others are illegal.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 6:03 pm
I have been walking down 44 street for many many years. I watched how all the attached houses got bought a redone. There used to be now curb cuts on the block now there must be at least 25.
I doubt any are legal.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 6:55 pm
Really depends on location. We are in contract now for a house with no driveway, but it is a partially commercial block, so we hope the parking won’t be too bad

amother
Forsythia

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:37 pm
amother Candycane wrote:
Honestly, finding a spor is not really a skill. There's either a spot or there isn't.

Are you saying that when you dh is driving in those congested areas in flatbush he's seeing spots available that others aren't seeing and are just driving by?

I think she means that he knows which spots are ILLEGAL curb cuts which means if someone else cut the curb in front of their property creating an illegal carport in which case he would block them from either leaving or getting in. Kind of an annoying way to be even if it is illegal.

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:39 pm
amother Olive wrote:
https://newyorkparkingticket.com/nyc-driveway-is-illegal/

I checked mine and the website didn’t have our permit listed even though we have one.
I would say use this at your own risk.
We ticket and tow cars that block if we don’t know who they are.

cnc

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:41 pm
FYI I once mistakenly blocked a bit of an illegal driveway (nobody was living there at the same time) and was ticketed. I sent in proof that it is not a legal drive and my ticket was NOT dismissed...

cuties' mom

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:43 pm
I don't have a driveway (Marine Park). There are always a few spots available on my block. As other people have said, different neighborhoods are different.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, May 13 2024, 8:47 pm
I am realizing that it is more important to have a driveway if the woman uses the car often. They have no time for circling and koach to shlep kranky kids from a few blocks away.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating