Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How to keep black leggings and sweatshirts black?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 4:36 am
without air drying them?

Comptroller

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 4:41 am
amother OP wrote:
without air drying them?

There is special washing soap for black clothes. I suppose it does not contain chlorine and maybe even darkening agents. If you use it, you have to wash your black clothes separately, because you don't want the other clothes to darken.

Bubby6

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 6:46 am
Wash black clothing in cold water and hang dry

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 6:49 am
Comptroller wrote:
There is special washing soap for black clothes. I suppose it does not contain chlorine and maybe even darkening agents. If you use it, you have to wash your black clothes separately, because you don't want the other clothes to darken.
I dont use bleach. Does that special detergent for black clothing work?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 6:50 am
Bubby6 wrote:
Wash black clothing in cold water and hang dry
I can wash in cold I guess but I have no time or room to air dry. Will it help if I just wash it in cold water?

amother
Bergamot

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 6:55 am
In my experience leggings stay black even if dried. This is because they are made with a high percentage of manmade materials like Spandex which hold color.

However drying often shortens the life of leggings and other elastic type stuff. Do you really have no space to hang them. They generally dry very quickly and don't take much room. I would drape them over the shower door.

Sweatshirts are going to fade if you wash and dry them because they generally are either 100% cotton or have a high percentage of cotton and cotton is not color fast. The only way to keep them as black as possible is to wash with cleaner that is intended for black or dark clothing and air dry them.

Goldengoose

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:00 am
definitely cold water and you can add white vinegar to the load. it helps preserve the dark color.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:27 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
In my experience leggings stay black even if dried. This is because they are made with a high percentage of manmade materials like Spandex which hold color.

However drying often shortens the life of leggings and other elastic type stuff. Do you really have no space to hang them. They generally dry very quickly and don't take much room. I would drape them over the shower door.

Sweatshirts are going to fade if you wash and dry them because they generally are either 100% cotton or have a high percentage of cotton and cotton is not color fast. The only way to keep them as black as possible is to wash with cleaner that is intended for black or dark clothing and air dry them.
The leggings are almost 100% cotton. If I run the dryer on lower heat will that help or not much?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:28 pm
Goldengoose wrote:
definitely cold water and you can add white vinegar to the load. it helps preserve the dark color.
I add vinegar to the load but always wash in hot or warm water.

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:30 pm
Just wash and dry them and once every 6 months dye them back to a dark black with Rit

amother
Midnight

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:32 pm
Just curious, why don’t you want to air dry them? I air dry almost everything. Minus socks, underwear, jeans, and most pajamas (but not all!)

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 9:02 am
Is it a waste if I wash in cold water and then dry on low heat in the dryer? May as well wash it in hot water?
Which detergent for blacks do you recommend?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:40 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Just wash and dry them and once every 6 months dye them back to a dark black with Rit
how do you dye them, is it messy?

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I add vinegar to the load but always wash in hot or warm water.

Dark colors should be washed in cold water & hung up to dry. Otherwise, they will fade & wear out more with every wash.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Sun, May 12 2024, 4:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
how do you dye them, is it messy?

Very messy and could bleed later in the wash. Sometimes it dyes uneven. Don't do it unless you have to.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 17 2024, 9:37 am
I think the easiest way is to just buy more often. thanks
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry