Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Why does shabbat food have to be traditional ashkenazi food?
  1  2  3  11  12  13  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:11 pm
I'm a BT who grew up very OOT and didn't grow up with any connection to the traditional ashkenazi food that most of you probably know very well. I knew matzah ball soup and pastrami & rye from a treyf "kosher deli" but had no clue what's a kichel or a kugel or the difference between them.

I find the traditional ashkenazi shabbat food to be bland and boring, and I'd never go out of my way to cook it. I make whatever I want for shabbat and when we have guests, I make whatever I think is popular and that I think will have mass appeal. but you'll never find a kugel or gefilte fish on my table.

I've had discussions with others about this and they think it's important for shabbat food to have traditional ashkenazi food to maintain a link to our heritage. I don't see it that way. I see it that we were stuck in europe as very poor people with limited access to spices and good ingredients and developed a cuisine of mediocre peasant food, and I can embrace my judaism and pass it on to our kids without having to cook and serve that food. what do you think?

Aurora

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm a BT who grew up very OOT and didn't grow up with any connection to the traditional ashkenazi food that most of you probably know very well. I knew matzah ball soup and pastrami & rye from a treyf "kosher deli" but had no clue what's a kichel or a kugel or the difference between them.

I find the traditional ashkenazi shabbat food to be bland and boring, and I'd never go out of my way to cook it. I make whatever I want for shabbat and when we have guests, I make whatever I think is popular and that I think will have mass appeal. but you'll never find a kugel or gefilte fish on my table.

I've had discussions with others about this and they think it's important for shabbat food to have traditional ashkenazi food to maintain a link to our heritage. I don't see it that way. I see it that we were stuck in europe as very poor people with limited access to spices and good ingredients and developed a cuisine of mediocre peasant food, and I can embrace my judaism and pass it on to our kids without having to cook and serve that food. what do you think?

1. I'm MO. See no reason to stick with traditional foods unless I feel like cooking them (but I do actually like kugel)

2. Traditional Ashkenazi food is supposed to be cooked with either shmaltz or butter. That's why it's so bland. A lot of flavor is lost when you use oil instead.

Ashkenazi food isn't mediocre peasant food. Today's Ashkenazi food is what happens when a bunch of people who lived through 1950s cooking styles try to make Ashkenazi food.

I like reading old cookbooks.

DrMom

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:14 pm
As long as it's kosher and can be heated in accordance with halacha and you don't have to do anything against halacha to eat it, serve anything you want.

We regularly serve all sorts of non-traditional foods.

Enjoy!

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:15 pm
It’s their tradition so it’s important to them. You are under no obligation to do so. There is a source to have fish and meat on shabbos. Otherwise do as you please.

Success10

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:16 pm
I like challah, chicken soup, potato kugel, cholent with kishka, gefilte fish. At least partially because I was raised on these things and they are intrinsically linked in my brain to Shabbos. If you were not raised on these foods and they don't mean anything to you, I see no reason to serve them at your Shabbos table. The key is to make special foods, and not repeats of what you have all week long.

PS: I also make sushi for shabbos. As long as it's yummy, that's what counts.

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:18 pm
I'm also a BT. I think you should cook what you like and what interests you. Even traditional foods like chicken soup or gefilte fish varied by region/city. Who says you're even preserving your family traditions by serving these things?

You are creating your own family traditions. Don't let anyone make you feel bad about it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:19 pm
amother Lightcoral wrote:
It’s their tradition so it’s important to them. You are under no obligation to do so. There is a source to have fish and meat on shabbos. Otherwise do as you please.

I get that some people are strict to have fish, but one man we know was basically like "my ancestors ate gefilte fish for generations so I'm gonna have gefilte fish at our table" even though he didnt particularly like it. it's a bit rigid to me.

mfb

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:22 pm
People eat fish cuz it says bassar vdagim should be eaten. And specifically gefilta so there’s no issues of borrer with fish bones.

Reality

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:36 pm
You can cook whatever you want for shabbos. You're supposed to enjoy your food on shabbos. If you don't like the taste of traditional Ashkenazi food, please don't eat it! At the same time, other people like it and/or enjoy eating traditional food. It not your taste so move on.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:48 pm
Do you want really traditional, as in farther back than Poland? Cholent in one form or another is traditional in nearly all Jewish cultures. Bread (or pita or flatbread) also goes back to Gemara times. Fish and meat on Shabbos, yes. And garlic.

amother
Raspberry

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:50 pm
I’m frum from birth, of Eastern European descent and heimish culture. I serve whatever we like on shabbos, which includes both ashkenazi as well as many Middle Eastern foods. So far no one has called me out on breaking the rules. You can do whatever you want.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:54 pm
I'm as Ashkenazi as they come but don't see why you have to have it for Shabbos. I will always choose Morrocan over Gefilte fish and salatim over kugel despite not having grown up with it.

Eating delicious food is part of the mitzvah of Shabbos. In fact, eating something that you don't like is not allowed since it's not oneg Shabbos.

giftedmom

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:55 pm
You know you can cook and eat whatever you like without insulting the traditional food many of us grew up on and love

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 2:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I get that some people are strict to have fish, but one man we know was basically like "my ancestors ate gefilte fish for generations so I'm gonna have gefilte fish at our table" even though he didnt particularly like it. it's a bit rigid to me.

It's understandable for him. Wanting to preserve what shabbos was like for his ancestors.
I don't think it's direction for you.
I'm ashkenaz and grew up on traditional Ashkenaz shabbos food but my mom always experimented with extras.
I also do. I serve many Middle Eastern/Sefardi foods at my shabbos table even though it's not my heritage- it's delicous!
Not everyone is Ashkenaz! For them traditional foods may be different. Even each region of Sefardim ate different foods.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 3:01 pm
amother OP wrote:

Why do you care? His choice his business. Why does this affect you?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 3:03 pm
I don’t quite get the point here. Is it to say ashkenzi food is gross? That you find people rigid? That you think people are idiots? Not really following how what other people choose to eat is your problem? It’s not coming across great.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 3:08 pm
I don’t quite get the point here. Is it to say ashkenzi food is gross? That you find people rigid? That you think people are idiots? Not really following how what other people choose to eat is your problem? It’s not coming across great.

You truly can't find a potential good intent in my post? Really?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 3:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
You truly can't find a potential good intent in my post? Really?

No. At first I thought you felt misunderstood. But then it just came across as judging and putting down others for what’s important to them. Can you explain what your intent is?

amother
Clear

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 3:15 pm
No. At first I thought you felt misunderstood. But then it just came across as judging and putting down others for what’s important to them. Can you explain what your intent is?

I think it came across as more of a question. Like: is there inherent need for X or can I express my love for Shabbos in a different way?
Do we need to have matzah ball soup or can I do carrot soup?
She finds traditional Ashkenazi food bland or gross. And that there is a pressure to conform.
So there was a question. Is there an importance to having X or is it a preference?

Why do you seem so triggered?

amother
Lightcoral

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 3:18 pm
amother Clear wrote:
I think it came across as more of a question. Like: is there inherent need for X or can I express my love for Shabbos in a different way?
Do we need to have matzah ball soup or can I do carrot soup?
She finds traditional Ashkenazi food bland or gross. And that there is a pressure to conform.
So there was a question. Is there an importance to having X or is it a preference?

Why do you seem so triggered?

Why do you see triggered wherever you go? Who said I’m triggered. I thought the comment about a specific person was very rude and judgemental. I’m personally not a fan of posts that put people down. Why can’t she ask more of a do I have to stick to traditional food is there a real merit to it, without putting others down?
Page 1 of 13   1  2  3  11  12  13  Next Recent Topics