Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Staying on top of cleaning surfaces

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 9:13 am
I’m new to owning so it’s the first time I care about the upkeep of the house. I can’t figure out how to stay on top of the baseboards, door frames, door handles, light switches, outlets etc.. the dust and grime build up. I have cleaning help for a few hours a week but she mostly does the kitchen and bathrooms, floors and laundry. Do I need more hours for this? Should it be done weekly? What do most people do to stay on top of it?

amother
Puce

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 9:43 am
Can you ask the cleaning help to clean those surfaces?

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 9:49 am
I do it myself whenever I notice it needs. My house isn't huge so it doesn't take that long to run through it all.

Goldengoose

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 10:02 am
every couple of weeks I wash down doors and woodwork and walls. it's a hard job for some reason but it makes me feel really good.
my cleaning help probably does it too occasionally but I have her focus on the bigger jobs.

there's no secrets to make it easy, ime.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 10:07 am
amother Puce wrote:
Can you ask the cleaning help to clean those surfaces?

I don’t have time for her to do it with the hours I have her now. Deciding if it’s worth paying for more hours.

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 11:45 am
amother OP wrote:
I’m new to owning so it’s the first time I care about the upkeep of the house. I can’t figure out how to stay on top of the baseboards, door frames, door handles, light switches, outlets etc.. the dust and grime build up. I have cleaning help for a few hours a week but she mostly does the kitchen and bathrooms, floors and laundry. Do I need more hours for this? Should it be done weekly? What do most people do to stay on top of it?

Before she sweeps the floors, she should dust the base boards and door frames with an ostrich feather duster.
Before she washes the floors, she should wipe down the door handles and light switches with a slightly damp/almost dry rag.
See if this works on a weekly basis, or if you need more hours for this.
With weekly upkeep, hopefully it won't pile up.

zaq

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 11:51 am
amother Catmint wrote:
I do it myself whenever I notice it needs. My house isn't huge so it doesn't take that long to run through it all.

This. And I never do the whole place at once, just whatever I happen to notice when I notice it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry