Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Do you let people stay in your house when you're not there
Previous  1  2  3

Would you let guests you don't know stay in your house while you're away?
Sure  
 10%  [ 21 ]
Only in my guest rooms  
 17%  [ 35 ]
No, I'm not comfortable with it  
 71%  [ 142 ]
Total Votes : 198

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:55 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I thought I was the only one who had that unfortunate experience... they actually broke the lock on my bedroom door that time. Since then, no hosting when we are not home.

They broke the lock on a door which they weren't supposed enter?
I would have demanded they pay for the damage. Totally unacceptable.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:05 am
I actually once gave my apt and told them that I'm locking up one room where they can't enter. Guess what, I came back the door was wide open. I found their laundry in my dryer. The man's book in my night chest drawer. They told me it's only for sleeping. There was a pan with food leaking in my fridge, a bag full of chocolate in my cabinet on my fleishig dishes... The place was filth!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!

Oh and I said I'll be back midnigt after yuntif, I got a call at 11:45 saying they still need a couple of hours....

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:17 am
amother Pistachio wrote:
I actually once gave my apt and told them that I'm locking up one room where they can't enter. Guess what, I came back the door was wide open. I found their laundry in my dryer. The man's book in my night chest drawer. They told me it's only for sleeping. There was a pan with food leaking in my fridge, a bag full of chocolate in my cabinet on my fleishig dishes... The place was filth!!!

NEVER AGAIN!!!

Oh and I said I'll be back midnigt after yuntif, I got a call at 11:45 saying they still need a couple of hours....

Guests from h*ll Can't Believe It
How did you deal with them? Did you tell your friend or the hostess about them

amother
Clear

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:20 am
We built a guest room that has a separate entrance, a bathroom, and a little kitchenette with a fridge and snacks. The door that connects it to my house has a combination lock and it's on a separate alarm system. That's the only way I'll allow guests when I'm not home - they have a nice space, but they cannot access my house.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:25 am
Guests from h*ll Can't Believe It
How did you deal with them? Did you tell your friend or the hostess about them[/quote]

Didn't tell friends about them. My baby was just about newborn at that time, came home to mess! was the first time I gave out my house. my father called to hear about the experience and I started crying. He actually gave me good idea that if I ever give out again, I should take deposit that will be returned if everything's in order at my return home. But not giving it out, no way!

amother
Puce

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:33 am
We used to when we lived in a 2 bedroom rental. It's very common where I live. We usually just gave our kids room but sometimes we also let them use our room. The house was always clean when we came back and there was usually chocolates or something waiting for us as a thank you. We recently moved into a new place that we renovated and put a lot of money into and now my husband doesn't want to anymore. We happily offer our guest room though when we are home.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:00 am
Mom.
Very close family but I'd lock my room

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:09 am
I live in an apt and would never let guests stay in my bedroom. Ever. I am open to allowing ppl to stay in the guest/kids room while we are away. But if I know I won't have time to make the beds or clean up really well before, then I give that disclaimer upfront.

amother
Peru

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:24 am
I've done it a few times and never had an issues b"H

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:45 am
I’ll let family, closest friends that we trust completely not random strangers

I’m also a crazy germ phobic so don’t really look at the rooms after they leave, I have the cleaning lady scour it and clean it out I don’t touch other peoples linen I have her load the washing machine TMI

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:00 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
They broke the lock on a door which they weren't supposed enter?
I would have demanded they pay for the damage. Totally unacceptable.

It was unaccepatable on so many levels that I didn't even think of demanding payment. The locked room they broke into was our bedroom. There were no kids staying in the apartment (we were promised this ahead of time).
I did tell my neighbor who hosted them about it and she was beyond mortified, but what could she do? Not her fault. I just thought she should know in case she ever needed to host these guests again.
I myself never lend out my apartment to other people's guests again after that, and these neighbors never asked.

joonabug

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:38 pm
yes I always do. its a big chessed and I really dont mind at all! theres actually a family using my apt this weekend!

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:19 pm
I'm surprised by the poll responses. Maybe it's community dependant but everyone around me lends their house or apartment out for YT if they are going away.

amother
Vanilla

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:36 pm
When we were newlywed we went to Israel for sukkos and let a couple stay in our apartment. Their host paid us and it was just for sleeping. Very nice couple. Didn't break or ruin anything. But I had a brand new nifty nogginz shaitel head ($50 handmade, doesn't need pins) came back and found it poked with tons of pin holes. I was very upset. Now with kids and their toys I'd never let anyone in.

amother
Copper

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:15 pm
amother Wine wrote:
I'm surprised by the poll responses. Maybe it's community dependant but everyone around me lends their house or apartment out for YT if they are going away.

Do you live in Israel? Very common there

singleagain

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:22 pm
amother Wine wrote:

In general people come on Imamother to complain/vent/get advice about the hard stuff.

If you are totally content about something you probably aren't coming online to talk about it.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:25 pm
amother Copper wrote:
Do you live in Israel? Very common there

No just very oot.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:38 pm
amother Burntblack wrote:
No, because my house is too much of a mess. However, it's very common in my neighborhood for people to let guests use their place when they are away.

This. My house is a wreck so no way. Everyone else here does though.

My married kids do allow it and recently one of them had a really bad experience where a couple asked to sleep there only and they agreed. They came back and found their good towels had been taken out of a closet in their bedroom and used. They found one of them wet in the closet (apparently they washed it, but since there was no dryer, they put it back in the closet still wet) and the other is still missing. It's part of an expensive set so they're pretty upset about it. They spoke to their host, but she said they can't be reached because they live in Yerushalayim. What

singleagain

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:41 pm
amother Molasses wrote:
They spoke to their host, but she said they can't be reached because they live in Yerushalayim. What

This is one of the most bizarre things I've ever read... Did they ask the host how she hit in touch with the guests in the first place? She must talk to them sometimes what she's she do? Send smoke signals? Carrier pigeon? That's just a ridiculous excuse.

I understand it must be awkward to go to someone who is close enough to come visit you and say "hey so remember I put you up by my neighbor, they say there are damages" but that's part of the responsibility you take when vouching for someone.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette