Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Judgement free thread of weight loss shots
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Canary

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:49 am
real israeli wrote:
All of those who are saying they've lost on it - did you try to diet and eat what you're currently eating while not taking the shots? Or is everyone doing what the poster who did write that she's eating one meal and a protein shake a day doing? Because to me that sounds like starvation - I can't imagine eating just one meal a day!

I have tried hard core dieting many, many times in my life. I have done keto as well as my own restrictive diets. These diets worked...... for a while. I lost lots of weight and then couldn't force myself to restrict anymore and gained it all back. That's the thing with obesity. It changes how your body functions, how you digest food and how much your body needs. An obese person technically needs more calories than a thin person.
The medication I am taking turns off the hunger signals to a certain extent. I used to constantly be thinking about food, be craving food. I was able to eat a ton without feeling full. I would be hungry soon after. Hunger felt like headaches, fatigue, irritability rather than my stomach grumbling. This medication changes all of that. It turned off the food voice in my head and body. It allows me to make better choices of what to eat without intense cravings for fatty sugary things and those "sick" hunger sensations. I will choose a nutritious salad or stir fry of vegetables and protein because I actually want to nourish my body and can take the time to do it without all the other issues getting in my way. It was SO hard to do that before.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:03 am
amother Canary wrote:
I have tried hard core dieting many, many times in my life. I have done keto as well as my own restrictive diets. These diets worked...... for a while. I lost lots of weight and then couldn't force myself to restrict anymore and gained it all back. That's the thing with obesity. It changes how your body functions, how you digest food and how much your body needs. An obese person technically needs more calories than a thin person.
The medication I am taking turns off the hunger signals to a certain extent. I used to constantly be thinking about food, be craving food. I was able to eat a ton without feeling full. I would be hungry soon after. Hunger felt like headaches, fatigue, irritability rather than my stomach grumbling. This medication changes all of that. It turned off the food voice in my head and body. It allows me to make better choices of what to eat without intense cravings for fatty sugary things and those "sick" hunger sensations. I will choose a nutritious salad or stir fry of vegetables and protein because I actually want to nourish my body and can take the time to do it without all the other issues getting in my way. It was SO hard to do that before.

You said it so well.
My only problem is that it was working amazing. I was losing a pound a week approximately (so no quick fix) but then monjouro went out of stock and I missed 2 weeks and since then I feel like it’s not working as well. I don’t have that feeling so much anymore. I’m back to looking for food.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:05 am
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
What happens when you go off? Do you gain the weight back? Has anyone here been on it and gotten pregnant and had a healthy baby? I want to try it so badly but so nervous about long term effects.

I was on it from when I was 18.
Stopped when I got married.
It took me 9 months to get pregnant (unrelated, my aunt got pregant right after) during which I gained back a lot of it.
Had healthy pregnancy bH.

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:27 am
My friend was taking it, didn't realize she was pregnant bc she thought the nausea was from the shot, her baby had severe birth defects that they needed to terminate the pregnancy.
I wouldnt take the shots unless I was on BC.

amother
Salmon

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:30 am
amother Begonia wrote:
My friend was taking it, didn't realize she was pregnant bc she thought the nausea was from the shot, her baby had severe birth defects that they needed to terminate the pregnancy.

Agree. I did it before I was married.

amother
Canary

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 1:51 pm
amother Begonia wrote:

Any medical professional should check in with you that you are on birth control before prescribing these meds. And as a side note, they can reduce the effectiveness of oral BC pills so they recommend a backup as well. I have an iud which isn't impacted. I am not sure what I would do if I was on oral bc.

zissy2004

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:02 pm
I started ozempic in 2021, I lost so nicely for the first time in my life! By my sons engagement a year and a half ago I was at my thinnest. Then I didn't take it regularly bc of life and slowly but surely I have now gained most of it back 😥 its very very hard to get here now (Europe). Also, I found and several others of my friends have found that it killed our metabolism meaning that we don't eat like crazy but the weight keeps going up and up uncontrollably... its very weird. I went up to 1mg. When that stopped working, I tried 1.25 for a bit but lost nothing. I wanna maybe try now to go up to 1.50mg but if I can't get it then there is no point in starting even...

I'm soo tempted now to do the surgery...

amother
Beige

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:05 pm
zissy2004 wrote:
I started ozempic in 2021, I lost so nicely for the first time in my life! By my son’s engagement a year and a half ago I was at my thinnest. Then I didn't take it regularly bc of life and slowly but surely I have now gained most of it back 😥 …

I'm soo tempted now to do the surgery

How many people kept weight off after surgery long term? Most people I know lost and then after 5 years gained back.

zissy2004

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:08 pm
amother Beige wrote:
How many people kept weight off after surgery long term? Most people I know lost and then after 5 years gained back.

I know, that's what I'm scared of...

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:09 pm
I was on Ozempic starting late 2022. It killed my appetite and I initially lost a good ten pounds of water weight. As my doctor raised the dose I lost weight. I was about 20 lbs overweight I lost at least 10. I have pcos so I lose slowly. Unfortunately I lost some of my discipline bc I needed more carbs for the initial nausea and I got spoiled eating little bits of what I want. I had usually been low carb and careful. I would say about a year later in this past fall I switched to Mounjaro. I felt like the ozempic curbed my appetite better. Both of them lose efficacy somewhat over time but I think my lack of low carb diet hindered my success. Then I had to change insurances which delayed me being able to get more and I still wasn’t on a diet and put on a good ten pounds within a month so now I’m a little heavier than before I even started. It’s frustrating but I started watching my calorie and carb intake more and even without the shot I lost a few pounds but still heavy. My skirts are tight. Some won’t zip or are snug in the tush now, bc I gain weight in my lower half the most rapidly. Overall I still like my body but I’m not at a weight that’s considered healthy and I hate not fitting into my clothes. I think that anyone who suffered with diabetes or insulin resistance or pcos like I did and would starve and gain weight eating celery and boiled chicken knows that it’s no shortcut. It just removes the insatiable hunger by regulating hormones, and helps digestion better. You still have to watch yourself to lose weight. My husband didn’t diet and he gained weight back too even on the shot as it became less strong. It doesn’t help that I also needed to go on meds that cause some weight issues. But I’m excited to get the shot again.

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:53 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Any medical professional should check in with you that you are on birth control before prescribing these meds. And as a side note, they can reduce the effectiveness of oral BC pills so they recommend a backup as well. I have an iud which isn't impacted. I am not sure what I would do if I was on oral bc.

This is true? Why would it impact oral birth control and not an iud?

Im shocked my practitioner didn't tell me this before prescribing it... (that not only can it cause birth defects but also lessens the effects of oral BC?) I just had a csection a few months ago and can't get pregnant for a year until the scars fully heal (per my obgyn)

What kind of backup is recommended? Can't use c*ndoms, and sperm!cide is painful for us...

amother
Dandelion

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 8:59 pm
amother Beige wrote:

Yeah. I did the lapband 12 years ago and then had it removed 5 years ago. It didn't work unfortunately. Caused tons of issues in fact.

My sister did the sleeve and after the initial few lbs came off she couldn't lose easily anymore. She's trying like a beast to spend all day at the gym, restrict eating etc. But the weight is so so stubborn. I asked her if she'd recommend the sleeve and she said "I don't think so" because they told her that her hunger pains would stop (they supposedly remove the part of the stomach that produces the hormone that signals hunger) but her hunger is still raging and she's not easily full.

My mother also had the sleeve about 8 years ago. She lost a lot initially (like 80 lbs) but put back on 40 and actively works out and obsesses over calories etc. She also burps like crazy since the surgery it's kinda weird/gross.

My friends mother had the roux en y (gastric bypass) surgery 25 years ago and she has been anemic ever since and has malabsorption issues to the point where her body is so lacking energy that she can't stay awake and focused throughout the day. She's kept the weight off but is paying a price...

I guess what I'm trying to say, is there is no silver bullet/magic trick for weight loss. (And of course one should never ever judge someone's journey or choices they made!)

I'm learning that it's certainly not a "one size fits all" kind of thing either, yknow?

For anyone struggling with pcos, insulin resistance, diabetes, etc. Like me, I am rooting for you!! This might work but as always, please make the decision with the right expectations and knowing all the facts.

I am starting wegovy this week and I'll let you know how it goes!!! Davening that this can work. I genuinely want to lose weight for the right reasons.

I want to have energy (both mental and physical) to play with my kids

I don't want to feel moody and hungry all the time

I want to get pregnant again and have an easier time than the last one where I was sooo overweight

I want to serve hashem with energy!! (which I don't have now)

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:37 pm
amother Begonia wrote:

What causes the birth defects? Aren’t you afraid it might cause problems for adults too?

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:07 pm
I started around 7 wks ago. The first 5 wks pre Pesach I lost around 6-7 pounds . Then Pesach I gained 1-2 pounds but truthfully considered that a win! I started on .25 of ozempic and have not increased and I’m pretty stuck. Tomorrow I’m doing my next shot and I think I’ll up to .37
I had hit my highest weight I’ve ever been even pregnant . I hit 160 and I’m 5’1. I’m now down to around 153. I’d like to stay on it till I get to 135 and then get off and work really really hard to maintain. My dr said that when you lose slower it’s easier to maintain. I’m happy I finally tried this. It’s a tool to help . I’ve been slowly gaining and gaining since my youngest who is now 5 was born, and it’s just been really hard . I used to be 110-115 which I know I’ll never get back to. But I’ll be thrilled in the 130s

amother
Oleander

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 12:24 am
Anyone conceived any of their kids while their husband was on it? Wondering if my husband will need to go off it when we ttc.

amother
Hosta

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 12:41 am
amother Oleander wrote:
Anyone conceived any of their kids while their husband was on it? Wondering if my husband will need to go off it when we ttc.

I did

amother
Linen

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 7:44 am
To the poster that said she got wegovy approved by insurance (not sure how to quote a post). I too got wegovy approved but can't find any pharmacy that has it available. Which pharmacy are you getting it from?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 8:49 am
Do you think I could lose weight only in my thighs? Nothing else seems to work, and I'm really frustrated

justforfun87

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 9:03 am
amother Tan wrote:
Do you think I could lose weight only in my thighs? Nothing else seems to work, and I'm really frustrated

You can't really target weight loss to a particular area. Do you exercise? You could work out your legs to tone and appear smaller.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, May 09 2024, 11:39 am
justforfun87 wrote:
You can't really target weight loss to a particular area. Do you exercise? You could work out your legs to tone and appear smaller.

Yes I do....
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise