Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Skirt shrank even after following instructions

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:13 am
I bought a skirt from a well known fashion brand at my local hosiery store. The skirt was 25.5” which was perfect for me. The label said to wash in cold water and hang to dry which is exactly what I did. Unfortunately when it dried I noticed the skirt was much shorter so I measured it and it turns out the skirt shrank 2.5”. Now it’s not tznius for me.

I’m so upset. Should I go back to store (and can they even do anything?) or reach out to the company? Have you ever had this experience and if so, what ended up happening?

Posting anon because I asked about this in real life as well.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 2:24 am
I would certainly try at the store.

I once laundered a black and white skirt according to the instructions and the black color ran. I took it back to the store. I don't remember if I received store credit or a refund but no questions were asked and they accepted it back right away. This was, however, a popular chain store in Israel. It may not be so simple at a stand alone boutique, but unless you try, you'll never know.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 9:58 am
Similar question. I got a dress for Pesach, not officially maternity but fit me well in my 7th month. I washed according to instructions and it shrunk significantly…it’s now skin tight. I was debating what to do…

kenz

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:17 am
I had this year’s ago. I bought a skirt for my very skinny daughter at a frum hosiery shop and followed the instructions to the T but when she tried to wear it after it was washed she couldn’t pull it on. I went back to the store and they gave me another one and said they would return it to the manufacturer, who of course claimed they sold dozens of this skirt and no one had an issue with it.
Well, it happened again with the second skirt. I went back and they contacted the company, which said they would refund the money if I agreed not to buy the same skirt again. Lol. I was happy to agree.

zaq

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:26 am
Contact the store first and ask for refund or replacement. If they don't satisfy, contact the manufacturer.

amother
Cobalt

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:30 am
It's normal for certain fabrics to shrink in the first wash. I don't think the store is responsible for it.

mandr

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:58 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
It's normal for certain fabrics to shrink in the first wash. I don't think the store is responsible for it.

I agree, however when the manufacturer itself lists the skirt length on their site, it would seem that the sizing should hold true even after washing. Problem is these companies are using bad fabrics. I literally never had a single non-Jewish brand item of clothing shrink, ever.

Last edited by mandr on Wed, May 08 2024, 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 10:59 am
delete

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 08 2024, 11:00 am
I agree, however when the manufacturer itself lists the skirt length on their site, it would seem that the sizing should hold true even after washing. Problem is these companies are using bad fabrics. I literally never had a single non-Jewish brand item of clothing shrink, ever.

I realized I anyway need to return to the store because they overcharged me for a different item that was on the sale rack!

amother
Moonstone

I just had this with a dress I bought before yomtov at Junees. It shrank tremendously after one wash. I went back to them and they said I can take another dress. They did not have another one in my size so instead they gave me a credit.
Very impressed with their policies!

amother
OP

delete
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics