Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Cost of Bungalow Rental in Catskills
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:58 am
amother Sand wrote:
They pay maintenance every year. Almost as much as rental for a bungalow.

My maintenance including taxes is approx. 5800

seeker

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 7:59 am
amother Sand wrote:
They pay maintenance every year. Almost as much as rental for a bungalow.

There are lots of cute houses all around the country without that, though any house will still need some upkeep. In Woodridge, South Fallsburg, and Monticello you can get walking distance from shuls. And you can go for sukkos/pesach/midwinter for a change of scenery and nearby hiking/skiing type trips without needing an Airbnb.

It's not cheap but neither is 20k per year of bungalow and only one builds your equity.

Not saying it's for you, just putting it out there in response to the general "bungalow costs are outrageous" exclamation.

seeker

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:04 am
amother Pink wrote:
13k???? For what? I think a nice hotel room in a nice vacation spot comes out cheaper and you get more for your money.
That's why bungalow colonies are fazing out and summer home communities are the standard now.

Bungalow colonies are phasing out because they were built 100+ years ago out of non-permanent quality and they're falling apart to the extent that it's not worth fixing. They can't build new cheap little ones because they don't meet updated building codes and stuff. So instead they build big developments and cozy little shacks are a dying breed. As someone who grew up in a cozy circle of little shacks, it makes me sad to see blocks of boxy houses with no trees and air conditioners tempting everyone to stay inside. I'm happy for the people whose needs are met by this but sad that my little cabins are history.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:08 am
Are these prices for full summer? Or 13k a half? How much is a bungalow for one half in a place like Nachalei Emunah? Did I miss the boat?

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:09 am
seeker wrote:
Bungalow colonies are phasing out because they were built 100+ years ago out of non-permanent quality and they're falling apart to the extent that it's not worth fixing. They can't build new cheap little ones because they don't meet updated building codes and stuff. So instead they build big developments and cozy little shacks are a dying breed. As someone who grew up in a cozy circle of little shacks, it makes me sad to see blocks of boxy houses with no trees and air conditioners tempting everyone to stay inside. I'm happy for the people whose needs are met by this but sad that my little cabins are history.

lol everyone loves to wax nostalgic about those little cabins but honestly it’s back-breaking work and a lot more doable with little kids

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:10 am
giftedmom wrote:
lol everyone loves to wax nostalgic about those little cabins but honestly it’s back-breaking work and a lot more doable with little kids

Which is more doable with little kids?

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:18 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Which is more doable with little kids?

The dingy bungalows

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:19 am
giftedmom wrote:
The dingy bungalows

Vs big kids? You like the bungalows or not? 😃

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:22 am
amother Mistyrose wrote:
Vs big kids? You like the bungalows or not? 😃

Yes
Well like I said they have their charms and I kind of miss those days in a way but it’s a lot of hard work and more doable when you only have 2-3 little kids. I know there are people who do it with older kids but the places I’ve been at were mostly or all under the age of 8.

seeker

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:23 am
giftedmom wrote:

I've been there as both a child and a mother and there is nothing like it in the world. Especially if you live in a city with limited freedom where you need to schedule playdates and only see other adults at work or maybe occasional shabboses. Speaking of Shabbos, also add extra points if you don't have an eiruv in the city.

The only thing I did not do is have toddlers in a bungalow. When I started as an adult my kids were preschool/early school age. I was never envious of the parents who had to run around after a 2 year old in a place you can't really childproof. Still probably worth it, but certainly harder, unless you also come with an older kid who wants to be your mother's helper.

Absent a toddler, I find the transition to and from very effortful but other than that it's less work than home where I have more house to maintain and the kids are higher maintenance (for starters, most of their friends are driving distance or need an adult to walk with.)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:26 am
I’ve never gone and if I go it’s with my oldest who’s a 12 year old girl and the rest younger. Did I miss the boat?

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:27 am
seeker wrote:
I've been there as both a child and a mother and there is nothing like it in the world. Especially if you live in a city with limited freedom where you need to schedule playdates and only see other adults at work or maybe occasional shabboses. Speaking of Shabbos, also add extra points if you don't have an eiruv in the city.

The only thing I did not do is have toddlers in a bungalow. When I started as an adult my kids were preschool/early school age. I was never envious of the parents who had to run around after a 2 year old in a place you can't really childproof. Still probably worth it, but certainly harder, unless you also come with an older kid who wants to be your mother's helper.

Absent a toddler, I find the transition to and from very effortful but other than that it's less work than home where I have more house to maintain and the kids are higher maintenance (for starters, most of their friends are driving distance or need an adult to walk with.)

The ease of maintenance depends on whether you have a washing machine in the bungalow and if the kids have daycamp full day. Also helps if you drive or have a grocery walking distance etc.

seeker

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:43 am
giftedmom wrote:
The ease of maintenance depends on whether you have a washing machine in the bungalow and if the kids have daycamp full day. Also helps if you drive or have a grocery walking distance etc.

Never had my own washing machine. Walking across the lawn with a basket or wagon is par for the course. Yes an on-grounds day camp is a huge factor. Bonus points if it's a small homegrown operation that will hire your 12 year old, now you won the lottery on not needing preteen camp.

I drive but my mother didn't. There were always the couple of people driving who could take you along in a pinch, and Daddy came up for Shabbos so you could do the week's shopping on Sunday. But I find that the ability to drive makes my life more frenetic and it's not a bad thing to stay put. We're very used to certain expectations and a change of pace is healthy. The time my car broke down and spent a couple of days in the shop, I had the calmest morning coffee of my whole life, pretty sure this is not hyperbole, if there were others equal they aren't as memorable. I did end up needing to take a car service somewhere during those days but bh they exist.

Not here to sell bungalows. Please don't try to take mine, they're impossible to replace. I just have a hard time hearing "why would you do that" without starting to wax.

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:47 am
seeker wrote:
Never had my own washing machine. Walking across the lawn with a basket or wagon is par for the course. Yes an on-grounds day camp is a huge factor. Bonus points if it's a small homegrown operation that will hire your 12 year old, now you won the lottery on not needing preteen camp.

I drive but my mother didn't. There were always the couple of people driving who could take you along in a pinch, and Daddy came up for Shabbos so you could do the week's shopping on Sunday. But I find that the ability to drive makes my life more frenetic and it's not a bad thing to stay put. We're very used to certain expectations and a change of pace is healthy. The time my car broke down and spent a couple of days in the shop, I had the calmest morning coffee of my whole life, pretty sure this is not hyperbole, if there were others equal they aren't as memorable. I did end up needing to take a car service somewhere during those days but bh they exist.

Not here to sell bungalows. Please don't try to take mine, they're impossible to replace. I just have a hard time hearing "why would you do that" without starting to wax.

I hear you! You must have a lot more energy than me. I have memories of weighing the pros and cons of doing laundry and washing towels because it would mean shlepping across hills (while pregnant one time) and sometimes waiting for a machine to become available.
Daycamp had a two hour break in the middle of the day and we all had to sit by the pool and watch our kids. My oldest has a traumatic memory of the Israeli counselor hitting my two year old. I really have no idea why she didn’t tell me at the time.
It was nice back then but can’t imagine doing it today.

kermit

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:01 am
amother Skyblue wrote:
You have any idea how much it costs for a family to go for a few weeks?? We looked into it and decided it was more than we wanted to spend. We did go to NH at the end and stayed in an Airbnb for so much less (and much more room).
Also if you have older kids (teens) there isn’t much for them. Petting zoo and moonwalks is good for little kids.
And you can’t compare bungalow colony life with friends than staying somewhere with random people.
It’s a good getaway but it’s not instead of a bungalow colony.

That makes sense. I think it's $400/night for a smaller cabin, so I guess that's like around $3k for the week, which is on par with getting a bungalow. they have boating, hiking, biking, and segways for older kids -- but what do older kids do in general in a bungalow colony? I guess the friend/social aspect of having a makom kavuah summer home is important as kids get older!

the world's best mom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:20 am
I still go to an old dumpy bungalow and I love it. Yes, it's hard work, but worth every bit of effort. And I pay around $5000 for my 2 bedroom dump for the summer. The kids are outside all day. Assuming my baby will learn to walk before we go this year, I will have a job to chase her, but at home she brings me her sweater all day and begs to go out.

We have a pool and a playground and frogs and toads and salamanders (outside). The upstairs neighbor's shower rains down on dd's bed (or it did until we moved the bed.) Our bucket was busy catching the drip under the kitchen sink, so I had to get a new one for the bedroom. (The owner doesn't fix leaks. He tells you to put your bucket under it.)

We do not all fit around our kitchen table, so all Shabbos meals are eaten at a picnic table on the porch. All the families who have that situation can sing zemiros together.

A friend asked me if we have central air conditioning. I laughed and said she's picturing the wrong kind of place. We do have window units in the bedrooms though.

The little kids go to day camp on grounds. The older kids go down the road or travel elsewhere.

And we love it.

mfb

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:28 am
the world's best mom wrote:
I still go to an old dumpy bungalow and I love it. Yes, it's hard work, but worth every bit of effort. And I pay around $5000 for my 2 bedroom dump for the summer. The kids are outside all day. Assuming my baby will learn to walk before we go this year, I will have a job to chase her, but at home she brings me her sweater all day and begs to go out.

We have a pool and a playground and frogs and toads and salamanders (outside). The upstairs neighbor's shower rains down on dd's bed (or it did until we moved the bed.) Our bucket was busy catching the drip under the kitchen sink, so I had to get a new one for the bedroom. (The owner doesn't fix leaks. He tells you to put your bucket under it.)

We do not all fit around our kitchen table, so all Shabbos meals are eaten at a picnic table on the porch. All the families who have that situation can sing zemiros together.

A friend asked me if we have central air conditioning. I laughed and said she's picturing the wrong kind of place. We do have window units in the bedrooms though.

The little kids go to day camp on grounds. The older kids go down the road or travel elsewhere.

And we love it.

Enjoy it!! And know that you are getting a bargain price. Since in my place the dinky bungalow with holes is going for $11,000 for the summer.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:55 am
I went as a kid and didn't appreciate it enough! Now as an adult I go with my kids, dilapidated place but not leaking like pp mentioned. I have my own washing machine. I pay a lil over 10k but summer costs much much more because everything in the country is expensive. I would estimate almost another 10k for expenses. Yes I take some cleaning help, buy from the ice cream truck weekly(it comes almost every day), send the kids on all trips with day camp that u pay extra for, treat myself to ordered lunch/supper occasionally, we hire womens entertainment for the crowd.... it never ends. Some places r more toned down I know. Also groceries r a fortune upstate.
And yes it's hard work! Kids are in day camp 10-3 so that's my down time for swimming, naps, schmoozing. After that it's intense until 7.30 when my toddler goes to bed. Rest of evening is spent going out to sit and running back in to put the next one into bed. Schedule is crazy late! Kids can be out until 9,10 or later. Dh is only there on weekends so it's all on me.
But after all that is said, it's something I wouldn't change for anything! I work during the year and I'm so grateful we can afford to take this vacation every summer and the change of pace is amazing. It's a mental vacation more than a physical one but so gratifying. The kids grow up soooo much over the summer months as people, navigating complex social situations and having their freedom to make decisions...
Bungalows r disappearing and I don't know how much longer such a summer will be an option but I'm glad at least my Kids now are getting these opportunities.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:58 am
I wanted to add that another hard part is all the kids needing to squish into one bedroom. That does get touchy with so many different bedtimes and the toddler waking up from the other kids. My baby having her own room is something I miss terribly during those 2 months.

mizle10

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 12:24 pm
So funny! I own a 600 square foot 2 bedroom bungalow and I love how easy it is for me when I'm there! I do have a washer dryer but day camp for 2.5 hours a day. Cleaning the whole bungalow takes max an hour. Laundry is only towels because my kids live in bathing suits! Cooking is either mac and cheese or something on the grill.

You cannot compare a beautiful summer home which is work and cleaning and HOSTING to the absolutely magical and carefree summers my family has!!!

Edit: I have 5 kids in one room and the baby with me:)
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics