Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Sourdough starter

613mitzvahgirl

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:24 am
I would love to make sourdough challahs and my family is begging me too..to make at least 2 a week.. does anyone possibly please have an easy sourdough starter recipe.. it would be so much appreciative

mommyof5

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:27 am
This is what I followed.
https://www.kingarthurbaking.c.....ecipe

Iymnok

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:29 am
Usually it's 1 cup water, one cup flour, and leave it for 24 hours minimum. I think most say a few days to a week.
There are different views on mixing it and feeding it

happy chick

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:34 am
My daughter has been begging me too. One day I was reading in an ami living how to make it. When I showed it to my daughter, she laughed at me and said never mind - we should just keep buying. Lol

It's a long process and one that needs a lot of tending to. Bh, I have children who need tending to so I'll leave the sour dough to the experts.

mommyof5

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 8:35 am
Basically - You will need a food scale, whole wheat flour to start with and then UNBLEACHED flour going forward.
The first day you measure equal amounts (in weight) of whole wheat flour and flour, mix well with a spoon and cover for 24 hours.
Leave on the counter.
The next day - You dispose of half and then weigh the remaining starter and add the equal amount of water and either whole wheat flour or unbleached flour.
The reason you dispose of part of it is because you always have to add equal amounts of flour and water to the starter and if you don’t dispose, it will be a large amount and you will have too much.
Repeat this process for a few more days.
On day 4 or 5 - you should do this twice a day.
You will notice that the starter will start becoming active and doubling in size.
Repeat this for a few days - check the King Arthur website for exact details.
To check if your starter is ready, you can take a spoon and dump it in water, and if it floats it is ready.
At that point you can either feed it and use it - or put in the fridge until you are ready to feed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads