Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Speech ot evaluation

gr8 mom

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 7:05 pm
What is the price range of getting an ot or speech evaluation ?

readreread

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 7:12 pm
We are getting a speech evaluation this week for free through New York state's early intervention program. I think many (most?) US states have a program like this. If your child qualifies for early intervention, the speech therapy is then free as well.

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:10 pm
Op why are you paying for this? Either it’s for by EI or DOE

amother
Holly

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:34 pm
amother Lavender wrote:
Op why are you paying for this? Either it’s for by EI or DOE

No it's not covered in every state and for every age and concern.

gr8 mom

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 8:37 pm
She's 4 .. I think EI is only till 3 years old

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 9:02 pm
Speech therapist here so maybe I can help.
A 4 year old is too old for early intervention.
DOE will cover evaluations in NY but not in NJ so each state (or maybe even each city?) is different so you have to find out if that's an option for you.

As far as cost goes, like everything there's a range. I know speech therapists who charge $250 and I know speech therapists who charge $800. On average OT costs more than speech, but you would have to contact the individual therapists to find out.

Also you might be able to find someone who takes your insurance.

Hope this was helpful.

amother
Tealblue

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:26 pm
not sure what you are referring to but nj boe does cover speech and ot evals. I did it through boe for my 3 year old and did not pay a penny

amother
Rose

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:28 pm
Does your board of ed offer an option? Insurance might also cover. You need to check what your city/ state offers and what the practitioners take.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:30 am
amother Tealblue wrote:
not sure what you are referring to but nj boe does cover speech and ot evals. I did it through boe for my 3 year old and did not pay a penny

Like I said, might be different in each city) township. Where I live in NJ each township has their own BOE and school age children can get covered through title 1, but a 4 year old wouldn't qualify unless they're registered in a formal school (and even then many schools don't offer evaluations to children that young. And it doesn't cover OT)

amother
Azure

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:39 am
amother Tealblue wrote:

In Lakewood you can get a boe eval For a child with delays between ages 3-5 but will only get services if they qualify for and attend special ed preschool.
Once in elementary school/private school you can get an eval through the school but sessions are often group and don't necessarily meet the child's needs depending on what needs to be targeted
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics