Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Cost of Bungalow Rental in Catskills
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:06 pm
Hello,
Would anyone know how much a 2 bedroom bungalow in the Catskills would cost? Does not have to be anything spectacular (could even be dinky), just looking to give some city children a wholesome outdoorsy experience.... Thanks!

amother
Goldenrod

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:47 pm
Chassidish or not?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:06 pm
Chassidish preferred. Is the pricing different?

amother
Steelblue

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:46 pm
Really depends on the colony. There aren’t too many rentals for old fashioned bungalows. Summer homes are quite expensive.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 3:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hello,
Would anyone know how much a 2 bedroom bungalow in the Catskills would cost? Does not have to be anything spectacular (could even be dinky), just looking to give some city children a wholesome outdoorsy experience.... Thanks!

Really wish you Good Luck!! I've been searching and searching since chanukah time. There is almost nothing out there. The old bungalow style places fill up w last yrs crowd and if someone doesn't come bk, they give it to their friend sister neighbor etc.
I do currently have very limited options of summer homes for rent and those are 24k and up.
(Also chassidish for reference)

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 3:26 pm
Thanks everyone! If I do somehow find one, what should I expect to pay?

Alwaysmiling

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 4:15 pm
Not less thank 13k.
Good luck in finding one.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 4:17 pm
I pay 10k for 2 bdrm in not great condition

amother
Teal

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 4:19 pm
How is this normal???
We are going back to the same place a few years already. Every year the price is raised by minimum $3500.
My husband is begging me to stay in the city this year he simply can’t afford over 15k for a small little bungalow, plus daycamp expenses and other fees that’s a must!
I feel it’s important for the kids… not sure what I’m gonna do yet.

kermit

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 4:32 pm
What about PMR in New Hampshire, you can do a week or 2 there. private cabins for each family with a kitchenette, and they have tons to do on the grounds (boating, swimming, hiking). plus a shul for hubs. it's on 60 acres of land and they have a private lake too.

In interest of honesty, I'm working with them on a marketing campaign for the coming summer so they're on my radar and I'm a bit nogei b'davar here. but I'm considernig of taking my fam for a shabbos there after seeing the lake.

mommy0

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 12:48 am
amother Lightcyan wrote:
I pay 10k for 2 bdrm in not great condition

where do you pay that? any bungalows available?

seeker

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:10 am
amother Teal wrote:
How is this normal???
We are going back to the same place a few years already. Every year the price is raised by minimum $3500.
My husband is begging me to stay in the city this year he simply can’t afford over 15k for a small little bungalow, plus daycamp expenses and other fees that’s a must!

This is why more and more people are investing in buying houses upstate. I don't know the current going rate but I know people who bought 15-20 years ago and if you add up what a bungalow would have cost over that time, they are almost even plus it's theirs to keep and they don't need to keep looking for a new place every time their bungalow colony changes or sells out or breaks down which keeps happening. And they vacation there during the year sometimes too. It's more expensive now but so is everything else so might still be worth it if going to the country is very important to you.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:23 am
seeker wrote:
This is why more and more people are investing in buying houses upstate. I don't know the current going rate but I know people who bought 15-20 years ago and if you add up what a bungalow would have cost over that time, they are almost even plus it's theirs to keep and they don't need to keep looking for a new place every time their bungalow colony changes or sells out or breaks down which keeps happening. And they vacation there during the year sometimes too. It's more expensive now but so is everything else so might still be worth it if going to the country is very important to you.

They pay maintenance every year. Almost as much as rental for a bungalow.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:26 am
amother Sand wrote:

Yeah this. In many places the maintenance is more than 10k a summer, which is what one amother wrote above that she pays for a bungalow. And there are a lot of additional costs too. You have to chip in when anything is done. Ex: new pool, new basketball court, fixing the shul, etc..

amother
Pink

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:27 am
13k???? For what? I think a nice hotel room in a nice vacation spot comes out cheaper and you get more for your money.
That's why bungalow colonies are fazing out and summer home communities are the standard now.

mfb

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:28 am
amother Sand wrote:

Maintenance is usually less. They charge more to rent so that owner isn’t losing money

amother
Tulip

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:29 am
amother Teal wrote:
How is this normal???
I’m with you. It’s insane. Being charged 15,500 for two bedroom bungalow. And owner constantly tells dh how he gets people offering to pay him more so he’s doing us the biggest favor... I can’t afford to buy, but this gets more and more unaffordable too. I feel so bad to take away my kids one opportunity to run free...

giftedmom

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:51 am
amother Pink wrote:
13k???? For what? I think a nice hotel room in a nice vacation spot comes out cheaper and you get more for your money.
That's why bungalow colonies are fazing out and summer home communities are the standard now.

No that’s because of zoning changes that don’t allow new bungalows to be built

amother
Cyclamen

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:52 am
Do any places rent for a few days or a week? Going for the whole summer wouldn't work for me right now, but I wouldn't mind going for a few days if it wasn't so expensive.

So, for those of us (like me) who haven't done a summer rental before, why is it so expensive? I remember years ago a neighbor telling me it was cheaper to go to the country for the summer than to send her kids to day camp in the city, but it sounds like it's really gone up over the years. Anyone know why?

Are certain bungalow colonies known to be cheaper than others?

amother
Skyblue

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 10:55 am
kermit wrote:
What about PMR in New Hampshire, you can do a week or 2 there. private cabins for each family with a kitchenette, and they have tons to do on the grounds (boating, swimming, hiking). plus a shul for hubs. it's on 60 acres of land and they have a private lake too.

In interest of honesty, I'm working with them on a marketing campaign for the coming summer so they're on my radar and I'm a bit nogei b'davar here. but I'm considernig of taking my fam for a shabbos there after seeing the lake.

You have any idea how much it costs for a family to go for a few weeks?? We looked into it and decided it was more than we wanted to spend. We did go to NH at the end and stayed in an Airbnb for so much less (and much more room).
Also if you have older kids (teens) there isn’t much for them. Petting zoo and moonwalks is good for little kids.
And you can’t compare bungalow colony life with friends than staying somewhere with random people.
It’s a good getaway but it’s not instead of a bungalow colony.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics