Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Cataract Surgery Options: which are worth thousands extra?

Would you spend $7000 out of pocket for both Laser Cataract surgeryand better Lenses, either better lenses or laser surgery, or neither (spend no money out of pocket?
1. I wouldnt spend ANYTHING out of pocket for either Laser Cataract surgery or better lens. Id get whats totally covered by insurance.  
 25%  [ 6 ]
2. Id spend a total of $7000 out of pocket for Laser Cataract surgery and better lenses.  
 41%  [ 10 ]
3. Id spend $3500 out of pocket (covers 2 eyes) for the Laser surgery and nothing extra for the better lens.  
 8%  [ 2 ]
4. Id spend $3500 out of pocket (covers 2 eyes) for the better lens, but not for Laser surgery.  
 25%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 24

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:41 am
DH needs cataract surgery on both eyes.

DH is covered by insurance for regular Cataract surgery.

Dr says doing it by laser takes more time and is slightly safer, so he charges $3500 out of pocket ($1750 per eye, for laser surgery ).

Dr says better lens is more expensive, so thats also $3500 out of pocket ($1750 per eye for better lenses).

Thats a total of $7,000 for both eyes done by laser, and with btter lens inserted.

WWYD?

Please see below options:

1. Neither Laser surgery/better lenses

2. Both Laser surgery AND better lenses

3. Laser surgery and not better lenses,

4. Better lenses and not Laser surgery?

amother
Tuberose

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:48 am
This is his eyesight you're talking about. Please splurge for the best available.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:50 am
amother Tuberose wrote:
This is his eyesight you're talking about. Please splurge for the best available.

A relative had the same question and an eye Dr said the benefits arent that much greater.

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:52 am
DH did it and said it was worth every penny but he paid $10k.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 11:37 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
DH did it and said it was worth every penny but he paid $10k.

Can I ask who he used?

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:19 pm
My mother did it and boy is it worth it… no more reading glasses b”H….
She doesn’t regret it one bit

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:29 pm
In my humble ooinion its a scan
About 8 years ago, Dr tried numerous times to get me to go for better lens, 2000 more or 4000 more
He called many times, his nurse called a lot
Finally he put 2000 lens in first eye
After procedure he vehemently told him that I never authorized it and im not paying, despite his guikt trips

He put the insurance lens in other eye

In the past 8 years I dont detect any difference at all in either eye

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:59 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
In my humble ooinion its a scan
About 8 years ago, Dr tried numerous times to get me to go for better lens, 2000 more or 4000 more
He called many times, his nurse called a lot
Finally he put 2000 lens in first eye
After procedure he vehemently told him that I never authorized it and im not paying, despite his guikt trips

He put the insurance lens in other eye

In the past 8 years I dont detect any difference at all in either eye

Did you have glasses for far or near before doing the surgery?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:11 pm
The laser just makes the incision instead of a blade. The lens is much more likely to affect quality of vision. I would recommend the lens only if money is tight.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 1:17 pm
I had it done by hand, not laser, a competent surgeon should be able to handle doing it by hand,and if they're not competent,I wouldn't go to them anyway.
What's better about the advanced lens?does it correct both distant and close vision?-that would be amazing!-otherwise, what's the difference?

amother
Iris

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 6:32 pm
Wow I literally could have posted this question. I didn’t make a decision and put it off for a year already. For me it would be about 5k an eye and because of astigmatism I can only correct far vision and not close. So far the cataract is small and doesn’t really bother me much. The other eye has one already but it’s not necessary to remove yet.

I’m of the mind to say spend on your health but it’s really a lot of money.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 6:42 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
I had it done by hand, not laser, a competent surgeon should be able to handle doing it by hand,and if they're not competent,I wouldn't go to them anyway.
What's better about the advanced lens?does it correct both distant and close vision?-that would be amazing!-otherwise, what's the difference?

Yes, it is a corrective lens like on glasses but actually installed in your eye 😆

amother
Iris

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 6:43 pm
Loving my another color. Unfortunately the lens doesn’t affect the iris, otherwise maybe I’d consider going blue!

naturalmom5

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 10:42 pm
amother Hotpink wrote:
Did you have glasses for far or near before doing the surgery?

Very strong glasses my entire life
Nothing now bh

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 9:55 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Very strong glasses my entire life
Nothing now bh

B”H!! Quite interesting, because my mother was told that if she doesn’t do the other lenses that insurance doesn’t cover, she’ll still need her glasses

Rubber Ducky

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 11:24 am
Quote:
2. Id spend a total of $7000 out of pocket for Laser Cataract surgery and better lenses.

I did exactly that. Worth every penny!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries