Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Cost of living - how to knwo what is needed

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:26 pm
Hi all- what is the cost of living like in American chareidi areas? On the one hand I feel like the income is so much less- on the other hand I assume private schools don't cost money or cost very little? And two cars are likely not necessary? If we live middle class with about 350,000 a year and five kids in the tristate area (15000-20000 tuition each) do we need anywhere near that in israel? We'd like to consider Aliya but I don't think our professions can make anywhere near that in israel. Not sure how to figure anything out.

Success10

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:07 pm
Assuming you'll have a mortgage or rent to pay, you might need about 25,000 NIS a month to make it here. Maybe more. Maybe less, especially if you can buy here without a mortgage.

Others can give you a better breakdown of expenses. Not my department.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi all- what is the cost of living like in American chareidi areas? On the one hand I feel like the income is so much less- on the other hand I assume private schools don't cost money or cost very little? And two cars are likely not necessary? If we live middle class with about 350,000 a year and five kids in the tristate area (15000-20000 tuition each) do we need anywhere near that in israel? We'd like to consider Aliya but I don't think our professions can make anywhere near that in israel. Not sure how to figure anything out.

There are many, many threads showing you a clear breakdown.
2 cars are not necessary unless both you and your husband are working out of town.
It's not that private schools don't cost money but that you can get an excellent public school education in the community of your choice. If you choose to send private you still pay fees.

350,000 dollars a year translate into about 100,000 shekel a month. You could live a rich lifestyle on half of that in Israel.

We live middle class, 8 kids in school, 2 with special needs, 1 with complex medical issues, we don't live in an American area so costs are slightly lower. Our overall monthly costs are about 35,000 shekel per month which is a third of your income.

amother
Marigold

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:44 pm
Success10 wrote:
Assuming you'll have a mortgage or rent to pay, you might need about 25,000 NIS a month to make it here. Maybe more. Maybe less, especially if you can buy here without a mortgage.

Others can give you a better breakdown of expenses. Not my department.

We are frugal, no car, five young kids, renting small apartment, no luxuries - and need 20,000 a month already. It can vary a lot.

B'Syata D'Shmya

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:17 am
amother OP wrote:

What are your professions?

Can you sell your home in the states and use that money to buy in israel?
Or rent out your home in the states and use that money to rent in israel?

amother
Banana

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 12:49 am
Very true. We’re in RBS A with fewer children, one with complex special needs. We use 24,000 a month but we have a car and we’re paying rent and mortgage because we bought on paper, without that, we be paying 21,000 a month. Of course camps and pesach and car fixing months are more expensive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions