Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Haven’t weighed myself in years- what’s the frum obsession
1  2  Next

How often do you weigh yourself
Daily  
 27%  [ 43 ]
Once a week or every other week  
 19%  [ 31 ]
Maybe once a month if lucky  
 17%  [ 28 ]
Don’t remember the last time  
 34%  [ 54 ]
Total Votes : 156

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:08 pm
So I haven’t weighed myself in years. I feel very confident in how I look and the weight I’ve gained from past pregnancies (and no I’m not skinny- I get comments from people asking if I’m pregnant) and wish this was more the norm in the frum world. I think as long as you get some exercise in (even if it’s just a walk) and you’re not majorly overweight and feel fine it’s just so much healthier! Psychologically and mentally. Also, I feel like husbands are attracted to confidence and their wives thinking they’re sxy- not wives who are always dieting and insecure about their weight. Anyone with me on this? I feel like this is so not the norm when on social media there is so many of the same page that aren’t Jewish…. Curious on what your views are Smile

amother
Eggplant

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
So I haven’t weighed myself in years. I feel very confident in how I look and the weight I’ve gained from past pregnancies (and no I’m not skinny- I get comments from people asking if I’m pregnant) and wish this was more the norm in the frum world. I think as long as you get some exercise in (even if it’s just a walk) and you’re not majorly overweight and feel fine it’s just so much healthier! Psychologically and mentally. Also, I feel like husbands are attracted to confidence and their wives thinking they’re sxy- not wives who are always dieting and insecure about their weight. Anyone with me on this? I feel like this is so not the norm when on social media there is so many of the same page that aren’t Jewish…. Curious on what your views are Smile

I think there's a HUGE pressure to be thin for shidduchim, and then it just stays forever... SO you have teenagers obsessing and then kallah maidels obsessing, then after pregnancy there's pressure to be vort-thin again, and then to have 10 children and be sheva brochos-thin by the bris... So yea, frum lifestyle puts an abnormal pressure on being thin....

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:11 pm
Most of the world is very diet/weight/body obsessed. This is not a frum problem.

mizle10

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:11 pm
Looks aside, you should be weighing yourself. Your weight can be important, for example gaining a lot of weight fairly quickly for no apparent reason can be a sign of illness. Your GP and OB should both be weighing you at your annual visits.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:13 pm
I get weighed twice a year at my annual checkups at my PCP and OBGYN. Otherwise I don't own a scale

amother
Jade

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:15 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:
I think there's a HUGE pressure to be thin for shidduchim, and then it just stays forever... SO you have teenagers obsessing and then kallah maidels obsessing, then after pregnancy there's pressure to be vort-thin again, and then to have 10 children and be sheva brochos-thin by the bris... So yea, frum lifestyle puts an abnormal pressure on being thin....

This.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:17 pm
mizle10 wrote:
Looks aside, you should be weighing yourself. Your weight can be important, for example gaining a lot of weight fairly quickly for no apparent reason can be a sign of illness. Your GP and OB should both be weighing you at your annual visits.

So unless someone is abnormally heavy, you can usually tell if you are gaining or losing weight abnormally fast and yes, obviously by the yearly check up they record weight- it’s just never something I paid attention to.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:18 pm
amother Eggplant wrote:

Yes I completely hear that, but it’s just such a shame. Yes, be healthy but the obsession just isn’t healthy and it could be a lot of it is stemming from that the boys are not taught to appreciate anything but super skinny

amother
Brass

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:23 pm
For me it’s not an expectation from the world it’s my own opinion. I gained 50lbs over the last 11 years due to pregnancy bh. But I don’t like the way I look. At all. I used to have a defined beautiful face and silhouette and ow I’m short and fat with a chubby face. I want to be thinner for myself. Not for others. Dh would appreciate it to but the pressure is from myself bc I miss the way I used to look. I’m grateful for the children my body created. But it has been a huge challenge losing the weight.
I’m así considered obsese and pre diabetic. Both not healthy and losing weight is necessary medically.

So yes there is a pressure in general from society which is not ok… but sometimes it’s more than that

amother
Navy

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:28 pm
I do not weigh myself ever.
We don’t own a scale and I won’t bring one into my house.
I suffered from an ed for many years.
Earlier on in my marriage I was obsessed with weighing myself. All through my pregnancy I would weigh myself and cry.
Postpartum I’d weigh myself and berate myself for not losing more faster.
At some point I realized it was enough.
My body needs movement and exercise to keep on being healthy. I need to eat in a healthy, mindful balanced way.
I can tell whether I’ve gained weight or not just by how my clothing fits. I don’t need to check every gram/ounce.
Most important thing is to feel good in my skin whatever weight I’m at.

I also don’t allow conversations about weight in the house. It’s just not something we do.
I always say to my children: t try he goal is to be healthy no matter what your weight you can be thin and extremely unhealthy and overweight and healthy. Take care of your body giving it nourishing foods and movement.

hodeez

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:30 pm
I weigh myself every day because I am actively working to lose weight. It feels incredible to be able to fit in clothes from back when I was single

amother
Burntblack

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:31 pm
I don't understand why anyone thinks the exact same problem doesn't exist outside the frum world? I spend enough time outside the frum bubble, and no, we're not uniquely worse about this. It's everywhere. I'm fat, and believe me, I feel it everywhere. I don't weigh myself, and when I get weighed at the doctor I ask them not to tell me the number. That's because I'm too depressed and ashamed to know it, not because I don't care.

amother
Bone

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:39 pm
What about “I deliberately don’t weigh myself”

amother
Bone

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:40 pm
mizle10 wrote:

You don’t need a scale to tell you that. You’ll know if you’ve gained weight all of a sudden

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:20 pm
This is not remotely a frum thing and it has nothing to do with shidduchim. You think clubbing culture is better for fat positivity? They are exposing way more and they feel much more pressure to look toned, not just thin.

Before kids and before thyroid issues I never weighed myself. Why would I. I only weigh myself when I’m looking to lose or maintain weight.

lamplighter

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 10:23 pm
For someone who's weight is pretty stable then of course you wouldn't weigh.
People who struggle with obesity and the never ending attempt at weightloss weigh for progress markers and motivation.
I don't find this to be a frum issue though.

amother
Ivory

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:49 pm
Why do some people think this is more of an issue amongst frum people? Have you ventured into the secular world at all?

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:11 am
Every day except Shabbat Chag. That way if I gain 0.5 lbs, I can eat a little less and lose it right away. I'm happy, I'm 34 and weigh the same as 10 years ago.

amother
Valerian

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 2:16 am
amother Outerspace wrote:
Most of the world is very diet/weight/body obsessed. This is not a frum problem.

I agree with this. I don't see it nearly as much in the frum world, at least not after marriage.

a2z

Post Mon, May 06 2024, 3:16 am
Basically only at doctors.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise