Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
What can 5 y.o do quietly in bed

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:20 am
Dc age 5 gives us a hard time going to sleep. What activity can I have just by bedtime that he can atleast look forward to and do quietly in bed himself. (This is after us reading bedtime stories together)

Gneshe

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:21 am
Listen to a story or quiet music

teachkids

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:25 am
We bought a small Bluetooth runners speaker and use it to play bedtime stories for the kids room

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:38 am
I say you can play or do whatever you want in your room as long as you stay in your room and he goes to sleep when he feels ready

amother
Skyblue

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 11:51 am
A toniebox. I know someone who sells them for $55 and I bought DC short stories to listen to

amother
Papayawhip

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 12:02 pm
I would do a story with songs for a 5 year old I would do Samuel kindergarten Baruch learning series, magic yamuka, and dr midos. I wish there was some new good quality new ones out their like those for this age. Some of the stories come with books if he needs to read while he listens.

We had a few weeks that my son had issues falling asleep. He's a very social kid. He was lonely staying up himself. I gave him a flash light, taught him how to make pictures on the wall. He found that quite entertaining. He also has the fisher price puppy. It is freind in his bed. He enjoys pressing, learning the phrases, singing the ABC songs. I also got him a scribble board that erases at the touch of a button. It worked for a while after that he wanted to come Show the pictures he made to me.
The day after pesach now I gave him a kids camera.

Elfrida

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 12:35 pm
After you've read stories, give him the book. He can look at the pictures and tell the story over to himself.

stillnewlywed

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 1:06 pm
Color with crayons

amother
Snow

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 2:56 pm
Look at picture books

Look at photo albums (make him a small one of family and friends)

Give him a special stuffed animal that is squishy that he can squeeze like a stress ball

Make a little booklet of his drawings from school or home (hole punch and tie them together) and he can admire his work or remember things from the day or week or earlier in the year

Teach some short relaxation techniques or mindfulness or breathing exercises and have him do them calmly in bed himself. Or get a disc of some to listen to in bed (we like 'Sit still like a frog')

Teach some guided imagery or give prompts to daydream (imagine you had a house in the clouds, what would it be like, how would you get to friends with houses on other clouds, what would cloud school be like, etc. Or imagine that you are a superhero, how would you save a cat stuck in a tree). I tell my girls that it's fun to daydream before you night dream.

Sing quietly to yourself
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics