Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Walmart finds

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 2:54 am
On a very tight budget.
What are your cheapest finds from Walmart? What is cheaper there than a regular (not kosher) store?
I don't keep CY

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 3:20 am
We buy our pasta there. My kids also like bagels for breakfast and it's way cheaper there than the bakery. The clothes are dirt cheap.

gr82no

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 3:21 am
Ziploc bags
Pasta
Vegetable oil
Applesauce pouches
Canned corn
All these items great value company

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 3:24 am
Breakfast cereals, some over the counter medicines, baby wipes.

Depending on where you normally shop, possibly also garbage bags, snack foods, laundry soap, paper towels and toilet paper.

(Yes, we do order from there a lot LOL, generally once a month for household basics, but I have no clue off hand if they are ok to buy from post - Pesach in terms of chametz items)

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 3:24 am
Overall everything is cheaper in Walmart. If you have a Walmart credit card you can also get 5% cash back. With Walmart+ (something I find worthwhile) you get unlimited free delivery with in-store prices.

Occasionally certain things may be slightly cheaper from Target with a Circle card. Or items that Walmart doesn't have in their Great Value brand but another store has a store brand of.

I haven't gone to Aldi more than a handful of times but I didn't feel it was worth the time and effort. YMMV.

Some produce is cheaper from other stores, I will shop around for Pesach when quantities make that worthwhile but otherwise don't bother.

During the height of Covid eggs were somewhat cheaper at 7-11, but I haven't seen that since.

Costco supposedly has better prices on certain items, but those tend to be premium items that I wouldn't buy anyhow for financial reasons (avocado oil, salmon, etc.).

Junky paper goods (think lightweight plastic plates, cups, bowls, cutlery) are much cheaper from Jewish stores. I live OOT but will buy those when I go to the city.

I buy some things from Amazon where Subscribe & Save gets me better prices than Walmart. But "buy now" prices are usually the same or higher than Walmart prices.

Another thread with lists of products:
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....99560

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 4:50 am
Thanks. Walmart+ won't deliver to my address... strange as I live in a major metro area but the Walmart is too far I guess. So driving there and want to see how much cheaper it is.
What great value brand items are comparable to name brand?

amother
Crystal

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 5:08 am
amother OP wrote:
Thanks. Walmart+ won't deliver to my address... strange as I live in a major metro area but the Walmart is too far I guess. So driving there and want to see how much cheaper it is.

You can make a pickup order for free, just drive to the store and have them load it into your car. Choose that store and it will show the prices there.

I find most Great Value items to be fine, especially basic ingredients.

We are not picky about things like ketchup or mayonnaise or tortilla chips, but I know some people are.

What I do stick to name brands for:
- some cereals (the Reese's puffs knockoff was very disappointing)
- chumus (my kids don't mind the Walmart brand - Marketside - but I'm a Sabra loyal)
- soy sauce (I don't like any except La Choy)
- Duncan Hines brownie mix
- Hunts tomato sauce
- Pillsbury frosting
- Domino brown sugar (I haven't seen the GV one for a while, but it was always clumpier)
- Coffee
- Pepe's pizza dough

...plus items where the Walmart brand has no hechsher, like many canned beans.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 5:43 am
amother OP wrote:

I have the same issue with their delivery service! I used to go out there every couple of months to stock up, but for the last while I've been doing shipping, which is free if you go over a certain dollar amount worth of most things (something small - I think $35, though a few things don't count to reach that amount for free shipping). They won't ship perishables and some other small things, but most items you can get shipped if you want to try that.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:06 am
Eggs, milk, produce, oatmeal, their brand of ziploc bags. Some cookies. My family likes some name brand cereal we can’t get generic of and I find it cheapest at Walmart. As far as store-brand though one of my local groceries has them cheaper but it’s still worth checking to see if yours does.
Other random things I get there: those cheese whale crackers and wacky Mac (though sadly that just went up in price).

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 7:24 am
Great value cereal and pasta
Toiletries
Shampoo, hair and skin products
Clothing

In my area, Aldi is about the same price as Walmart for cereal/pasta

sunburst

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:39 am
amother OP wrote:
On a very tight budget.
What are your cheapest finds from Walmart? What is cheaper there than a regular (not kosher) store?
I don't keep CY

Don't want to hijack this thread but do you or any other imas know if we can buy chometz from Walmart now after Pesach?

amother
Azalea

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:46 am
sunburst wrote:
Don't want to hijack this thread but do you or any other imas know if we can buy chometz from Walmart now after Pesach?
This depends on your area. In my area, Walmart is fine. Ask your local Kashrus agency.

teachkids

Post Sun, May 05 2024, 9:50 am
sunburst wrote:

Yes, but if ordering online make sure it's not a third party seller
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics