Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Looking for shabbas food ideas

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 9:14 am
I'm sooo sick of my regular shabbas foods I make. Any ideas of something simple I can make instead of the regular? (shnitzel, Cholent, Brisket, chicken soup, Deli roll..)

613mitzvahgirl

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 10:09 am
How about chicken on the bone or meatloaf using your favorite recipes..

amother
DarkCyan

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 10:32 am
Green beans
Broccoli kugel
Mushroom turnovers
Rice mix
Couscous
Mashed Potatoes
Hot Pastrami
Turkey salad

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:19 am
I’m making grilled chicken sweet potatoes and green beans for tonight

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:41 am

I sauté for waaaayyy longer and comes out way better.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 11:42 am
Schug

Jalapeños fresh& garlic blend in food processor put in a bowl add lemon and oil

Take a glass pan add parchment paper and slice up jalapeños in any way and add fresh garlic (cut or not cut) add oil tie up the parchment paper and roast on 450 for around 45 minutes

Red pepper onion and garlic slice up
Add to glass pan or parchment paper in glass pan add salt
Roast on 450 for 45 minutes mix halfway
When ready blend it

613mitzvahgirl

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:29 pm
This all sounds delicious.. can you share your mushroom turnover recipe please..

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:32 pm
Love the ideas!! Tysm!! ❤️

I bought hummus and made ground beef/Sautéed onions to spread on top of it. Like "hummus bassar" at the restaurants.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:47 pm
Baby Spinach salad with apple slices, candied pecans, craisins, chopped herbs (dill and/or parsley). Optional: diced hard boiled eggs on top. Dress with your own dressing (2 parts vinegar, 1 part olive oil, tsp sugar, tsp salt, 2 tsp mustard, 2 tsp honey. Whisk and dress salad before serving) or use your favorite bottled kind.

Oven roasted salmon on angel hair pasta and vegetables. (appetizer or main course)
1)Place 1-2 lbs of salmon in foil pan or tray. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and a drizzle of maple syrup (opt). Roast in oven for 35-40 mins at 350. Cut in four pieces and follow plating directions below.
2)Dice peppers, red onion, tomato, and 2 cloves of garlic, sprinkle with salt, drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil and roast for about 40 mins while the fish is cooking.
3)Cook angel hair pasta for four servings following directions on box. Do not overcook. Drain and combine with roasted vegetables when they are finished cooking. Serve hot or cold with salmon. Plate with one large scoop of pasta topped with a salmon filet. Garnish with creamy horseradish sauce, tartar sauce, or creamy Italian. To make it even schmancier, slice and hollow a cucumber and fill with sauce on plate alongside fish and pasta. (if you saw last week's Ami cartoon, you might find this funny)
Baked Apples:
Wash and score tops of 4-6 macintosh apples and place in pan with 1/2 inch of water. sprinkle each with one tsp sugar and a shake of cinnamon. Bake in oven with fish and vegetables. Serve hot with pareve vanilla ice cream and/or a slice of pound cake or sugar cookie.

amother
Cobalt

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:50 pm
Hasselback kielbasa with a sticky sauce
Pastrami rugelach
Meat board
Jerky

stillnewlywed

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:55 pm
Zucchini kugel
Quinoa salad
Spinach lukshen kugel
Pretzel chicken nuggets with garlic dipping sauce

Camouflage

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 2:57 pm
sushi salad!

amother
Jasmine

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 5:28 pm
I had guests for lunch. Here was my menu:

First course- everything homemade
Avocado
Matbucha
Cherry tomato and garlic confit
Cherry tomato salad
Fennel salad
Chamutizim
Spicy olives
Fresh green beans
Fennel and orange salad

Main course
Cholent & kugel
London broil salad
Sweet Brisket and potatoes
Yellow rice

Dessert
Sticky buns
Peach mint salad with crunch topping
Fruit

I usually do an appetizer course with a selection of finger foods /meat boards but I didn’t have time to fill up my freezer just yet. No one went hungry either way.

ganmama

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 5:40 pm
We normally do a roasted veggie for Shabbos day and serve with rice. And make soup in the crockpot (curry, chili, mushroom barley, etc.) instead of “cholent”.

For the night I’ll often do orange soup, with coconut milk for added creaminess.

My favorite chicken recipe is stovetop chicken (can be breast, thighs, whatever your family prefers) with ginger, garlic, onion and then a can of tomatoes and a handful or two of apricots (you can also add cumin and turmeric).

amother
Obsidian

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:00 pm
amother Jasmine wrote:
I had guests for lunch. Here was my menu:

First course- everything homemade
Avocado
Matbucha
Cherry tomato and garlic confit
Cherry tomato salad
Fennel salad
Chamutizim
Spicy olives
Fresh green beans
Fennel and orange salad

Main course
Cholent & kugel
London broil salad
Sweet Brisket and potatoes
Yellow rice

Dessert
Sticky buns
Peach mint salad with crunch topping
Fruit

I usually do an appetizer course with a selection of finger foods /meat boards but I didn’t have time to fill up my freezer just yet. No one went hungry either way.

What’s Chamutizim? It sounds good.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:09 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
What’s Chamutizim? It sounds good.

Chamutzim are pickled veg. Pickles are css as liked chamutzim

Tao

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 9:11 pm
at the moment we're going trough a fleishig poke bowl/sushi salad phase. I've made so far with steak and with grilled chicken. yum!

parsley

Post Fri, May 10 2024, 8:32 am
Why don’t you try different variations of the things you usually make? For example, instead of brisket, make a different roast. I love Chuck- it’s not too expensive and my kids love it. I sauté a lot of onion and garlic in a Dutch oven and sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper and oil and then sear it on all sides. Then I add broth (or water) (to barely cover) and let it cook for hours on low or in the oven until it’s falling apart.
Instead of schnitzel, try sesame chicken or artichoke chicken.
Or instead of traditional chicken soup, try a chicken veggie rice soup. (Or a Yemenite soup). I come and cook from a Sephardic background so our shabbos choices are more varied but this is what I do. I find similar veins of shabbos food to serve to change it up for myself. I get so bored of the same stuff.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note