Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
When the boys come home
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:09 am
amother Amaranthus wrote:
please post pkl recipe!

5 lbs potatoes
Small onion
8 large eggs
3/4 cup oil
1T salt
Black pepper
1 cup seltzer

Preheat oven to 500.

1. Using an S blade, mix the eggs, oil, salt and pepper.
2. Change to kugel blade: process the potatoes and onion.
3. Pour into a large bowl. Mix well. Add 1 cup seltzer. Mix, pour into 9x13.
4. Bake for 1.5 hours. I usually lower the temp to 350 about halfway in.

freilich

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:19 am
Hey PKL! I got you at the second line.

Your writing is awesome! I'm sure your pk as well

keym

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:51 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
My son doth protest. He hates the stereotype that bochurim eat non stop.
Not true, he says.
Only if it's good.
Hence the 4 plates of meatballs he downs for supper, or egg rolls for breakfast, or 5 out of the 6 eggs he makes in shakshuka.
But really he barely eats.
πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

My sons agree with this.
They don't really eat that much.
Also, they don't stam eat, only when they're hungry and only until they're full
Proof of that is that they left over 1 entire slice of grilled chicken from the 5 lbs I made for the seuda.

But OP, you forgot about the sleeping.
The little boy who I had to fight to rest for 10 minutes erev Pesach, now has an avoda called napping. His schedule goes coffee, daven, eat, coffee, learn, eat, eat, eat, sleep, coffee, eat, learn, eat, daven, sleep

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:05 am
keym wrote:
My sons agree with this.
Proof of that is that they left over 1 entire slice of grilled chicken from the 5 lbs I made for the seuda.

The little boy who I had to fight to rest for 10 minutes erev Pesach, now has an avoda called napping. His schedule goes coffee, daven, eat, coffee, learn, eat, eat, eat, sleep, coffee, eat, learn, eat, daven, sleep

Yeah, I tell my bechor who stopped napping at 9 months old that I think he's caught up at this point on his lack of sleep then.
But it's normal to be up at 2 AM so why should I bother suggesting going to bed earlier and not needing to nap in the afternoon? πŸ€”

(I have to make 6 lbs of meatballs when my boys are home. I have 2 bochurim. 3 lbs is ample without them...)

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:16 pm
keym wrote:
My sons agree with this.

You're right, I didn't discuss the sleeping. The reason being that this particular YB is not much of a napper. He did tell me about his avoda to nap on Purim, in lieu of ad d'lo Yada. But I dont see him nap when he is home during Bein hazemanim. (Maybe he naps in shul. Ken zein.)

But my other YB is totally that type who is up at night and naps by day. Good thing, because they share a room when they are both home. So there is only ever one boy sleeping in there at any given time.

Which all goes to show that not ALL yeshiva bochurim are the same. And yet, there's this amazing sense of validation we seem to get when we realized that we are not the only ones who are hosting these strangers who are pretending to be the sons we sent off to yeshiva.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:43 pm
Oh great, you only need 1 bed for them!

amother
Darkblue

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:06 pm
Now the question is...what can be done about that stooped posture ? it drives me crazy, I constantly tell my son to straighten his back and he gets annoyed but seriously, he will turn into a hunchback ....

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:09 pm
amother Darkblue wrote:
Now the question is...what can be done about that stooped posture ? it drives me crazy, I constantly tell my son to straighten his back and he gets annoyed but seriously, he will turn into a hunchback ....

My theory is that the posture is affected. Somehow, this became the walk of the yeshiva bachur and they all subconsciously copy each other to fit in.
Frum women also have a distinct walk.

amother
Gladiolus

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm with you. I have a few little boys coming down the pike. When I see them interacting with their big brothers, I can't help but feel nostalgic remembering the sweet innocence of my older sons. My next son just turned 10 this week. His voice is still high pitched and he has a mouth full of baby teeth (and some adult teeth as well). He loves collecting Leaders cards and playing with his Chinese yoyo.
But in just a few short years, he will want a shaver (gasp), and his straight posture will begin to stoop. His cheekbones will start to protrude, and he will forget all of his English. I know this because it happened to my other sons.
But I wouldn't want it any other way:)

My boys are 4 and 2 , and still come into my bed in the morning for cuddles. But I'm watching it happen before my eyes! My older one just got his first bike, his first play mobile set...Just as quickly as they go from babies to kids they go from kids to adults

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:18 pm
amother OP wrote:
My theory is that the posture is affected. Somehow, this became the walk of the yeshiva bachur and they all subconsciously copy each other to fit in.

I thought it was from sitting hunched over all day, they can't unbend 😝

amother
Navyblue

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 11:01 pm
amother OP wrote:

Chayalim also have a distinct walk from carrying a gun.

amother
OP

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:07 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
Chayalim also have a distinct walk from carrying a gun.

That's interesting. I dont think I've ever noticed that.
Do they walk that way even when not carrying a gun?

marvinkay

Post Fri, May 03 2024, 12:14 am
amother OP wrote:

What’s the walk of frum women?

amother
OP

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 10:52 pm
marvinkay wrote:
What’s the walk of frum women?

It's hard to describe, but apparently, people who are not from the frum community can spot the "frum" walk. If you're in it, it's less obvious.

Years ago, I read about the making of an Israeli movie depicting chareidim. The actors were all secular people. They were taught to walk in a certain way using the "chareidi posture." Before that I had never noticed it. It's not just the clothing that makes us distinctive. It's often our demeanor and way we carry ourselves as well.

amother
Azalea

Post Sat, May 04 2024, 10:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
It's hard to describe, but apparently, people who are not from the frum community can spot the "frum" walk. If you're in it, it's less obvious.

Years ago, I read somewhere about an Israeli movie about chareidim. The actors were all secular people. They were taught to walk in a certain way using the chareidi posture. Before that I had never noticed it. It's not just the clothing that makes us distinctive. It's often our demeanor and way we carry ourselves as well.

I need to hear more about this lol
The woman part in particular

amother
Amaranthus

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 11:07 am
amother OP wrote:
5 lbs potatoes
Small onion
8 large eggs
3/4 cup oil
1T salt
Black pepper
1 cup seltzer

Preheat oven to 500.

1. Using an S blade, mix the eggs, oil, salt and pepper.
2. Change to kugel blade: process the potatoes and onion.
3. Pour into a large bowl. Mix well. Add 1 cup seltzer. Mix, pour into 9x13.
4. Bake for 1.5 hours. I usually lower the temp to 350 about halfway in.

thanks so much!

which potatoes do you use?

do you always add the cup of seltzer?

whats the purpose?

my kugel already has plenty water in it, will it not become to watery and runny or do you strain off some water first?

do you cover at all?

what the texture like?

how does baking it on 500f then lowering to 350f for 1.5 hrs in total only , compare to 360f for 1 hr and then 300 for 4hrs min?

any idea?

thanks loads.

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 1:43 pm
amother Amaranthus wrote:
thanks so much!

which potatoes do you use?

do you always add the cup of seltzer?

whats the purpose?

my kugel already has plenty water in it, will it not become to watery and runny or do you strain off some water first?

do you cover at all?

what the texture like?

how does baking it on 500f then lowering to 350f for 1.5 hrs in total only , compare to 360f for 1 hr and then 300 for 4hrs min?

any idea?

thanks loads.

I use regular Idaho/Russet potatoes. (Some people like Yukon gold or white potatoes, but I find Idaho to have a better consistency. )

I almost always add the seltzer. I make sure to have a fresh bottle or two (depending how many kugels I'm making).The seltzer makes it fluffy.

My kugel doesn't have water, but it is a liquidy texture, between the eggs, oil and grated potatoes. This makes a pretty soft, mushy kugel, similar to a hand-grated kugel. If you like a stringy texture, you can try using a different blade.

I do not cover it when I bake it. I don't think kugeks should ever be covered when baking. But if you want to overnight it, add some water after it's done baking and cover tightly. Then put in the warmer or low temperature oven for a few hours or overnight.

I don't know the answer to your last question. I think it forms a nicer crust if you start off higher. But in the past, I have done it on 350 only, and it has been fine. Even so, I don't think it takes 4 hours. More like 2 hours.

These days, I make many kugels every Friday, so I'm happy to have a way to speed things up. You can try it both ways and see if it makes a difference.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 2:48 pm
Hey, PKL, can we get a new post about when the boys go back tomorrow?

Would be something to look forward to!

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 4:00 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Hey, PKL, can we get a new post about when the boys go back tomorrow?

Would be something to look forward to!

Ha! My son went back this morning and he had a funny story in the airport. I'll see if I can write it up later or tomorrow.
Because supper won't make itself here.

amother
Magenta

Post Tue, May 07 2024, 4:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ha! My son went back this morning and he had a funny story in the airport. I'll see if I can write it up later or tomorrow.
Because supper won't make itself here.

Sure hope this isn't your DS's story (which isn't funny):

https://www.dansdeals.com/more.....nger/
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics