Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Does anyone else hate when magazines do a double issue?

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:46 am
I find it so inconvenient. When I want to read the regular features, I have to hunt down which magazine to look for it in.

teachkids

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:55 am
It was so much easier to have the 2 separate ones than a huge one that was impossible to hold. Plus it was easier to share with multiple readers

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:56 am
It's only twice a year.

With so much extra advertising for the Yom Tov editions, it's a matter of finding the features buried between the adverts anyway.

Maybe they should print one regular magazine with just reading material, and one advertising supplement for people to flip through. That would make it easier all round!

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:03 am
teachkids wrote:
It was so much easier to have the 2 separate ones than a huge one that was impossible to hold. Plus it was easier to share with multiple readers

They are the same size as the "huge" ones used to be, only with less than half the content. It's all ads now.

Also, for sharing, it would be just as easy if they put all the usual columns in the main magazine and then put all the extra features in a supplement.

amother
OP

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:08 am
Elfrida wrote:
It's only twice a year.

With so much extra advertising for the Yom Tov editions, it's a matter of finding the features buried between the adverts anyway.

Maybe they should print one regular magazine with just reading material, and one advertising supplement for people to flip through. That would make it easier all round!

They could make a premium version of the magazine where you pay extra for not having ads, but I suspect the reason they don't is because it would be very obviously less than a quarter of the size.

s1

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:10 am
Was so happy to be able to share the main magazine with my kids, and didn't have to risk knocking myself out if I fell asleep reading the normal huge heavy thing!

amother
Bone

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 6:43 am
Hate paying for hundreds of pages of ads.
Wish they would make a magazine without any ads and fluff articles to fill up

amother
Dahlia

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 7:04 am
amother OP wrote:
I find it so inconvenient. When I want to read the regular features, I have to hunt down which magazine to look for it in.

I love that I can read one magazine the first days and have something fresh on shabbos in the 2nd issue.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 8:02 am
I would actually like it better if they would package each magazine separately and sell one package for second days. Minus the first hundred pages of ads of course.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:01 am
amother Bone wrote:
Hate paying for hundreds of pages of ads.
Wish they would make a magazine without any ads and fluff articles to fill up

Ads are how the publishers stay in business. Subscriptions and newsstand sales don't come anywhere near covering the cost of publication, so unless you and every other reader is willing to pay ten times the current price per issue, you'll just have to put up with the ads. They will never have an ads-only supplement because they know people will throw them out unopened. Ads are all about exposure, which is why they deliberately interleave ads with articles, so readers can't help but see them. This is the same reason why department stores don't have straight aisles but force you to zigzag around displays: rather than head straight to the restrooms or the socks-and-underwear,looking neither to the right nor to the left, you're forced to slow down and give the merch a chance to catch your eye.

amother
Bone

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:24 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
Ads are how the publishers stay in business. Subscriptions and newsstand sales don't come anywhere near covering the cost of publication, so unless you and every other reader is willing to pay ten times the current price per issue, you'll just have to put up with the ads. They will never have an ads-only supplement because they know people will throw them out unopened. Ads are all about exposure, which is why they deliberately interleave ads with articles, so readers can't help but see them. This is the same reason why department stores don't have straight aisles but force you to zigzag around displays: rather than head straight to the restrooms or the socks-and-underwear,looking neither to the right nor to the left, you're forced to slow down and give the merch a chance to catch your eye.

We PAY for the magazine. It’s far from free!!

librarygirl

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 9:27 am
My kids were saying a great business idea would be to buy the mishpacha, cut out the ads, and sell an ad free version for triple the price 😉

amother
Petunia

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:47 am
Am I the only one who enjoys looking at the ads? I just like seeing the creativity of the marketing companies and no I don't work with graphics etc

keym

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:49 am
I wish there was a separate magazine for ads.
There's a real halachic problem with looking at ads on shabbos and Yom Tov, which is when most of my magazine reading is done.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 10:50 am
amother Petunia wrote:
Am I the only one who enjoys looking at the ads? I just like seeing the creativity of the marketing companies and no I don't work with graphics etc

Same. Its like our version of the super bowl commercials. I dont live near most of these places and I am not that suggestable I just like looking for fun.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room