Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
S/o what do you like about chul 2 day yom tov?
1  2  Next

doodlesmom

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:14 am
And what do you dislike….

I’ll start.
If we want to eat a Seder by the grandparent, we still get to do a family Seder as well where everyone gets individual attention.

belovedaz

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:25 am
Love everything about it!
Extra yom tov. Extra family time. Extra relaxing

dena613

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:26 am
Second seder is like a pesach sheini- a second chance to do it well (or worse!!)

Raisin

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:31 am
I love the second seder! We runa. huge community seder night 1, love being able to do a slower paced seder on night 2 when you are less exhausted. Smile

Also love gebrochts on the last day. Israeli chabadniks (do other chassidim do this?) miss out on it.

Ruchel

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:36 am
Frankly two sedarim are great for chinuch. Granted in Israel it's your language so it's easier.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:37 am
also, not my situation bh, but for divorced parents who live close to each other, it means kids can be one seder night with each parent. So much nicer for kids and parents.

farm

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:38 pm
belovedaz wrote:
Love everything about it!
Extra yom tov. Extra family time. Extra relaxing

Same! Love every minute and I’ll take as many of them as I can get ☺️.
I love that feeling of forgetting what day of the week it is because it's yom tov for so long.
Love having Shmini Atzeres and Simchas Torah as 2 separate days, same with Shvii and Acharon shel Pesach. Love having a chance to do the Seder twice especially years when I’m really tired the first night and feel like I’m not totally present. And the one day Shavuos thing is so beyond hectic there’s barely time to enjoy, so appreciate having 2 days!

juggling

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 11:44 pm
I related to everything you're all saying when I lived in chul. However, I've been doing one day for over 20 years now. Once I made that switch I can't imagine wanting it any other way.

BatZion

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 1:34 am
I'm gonna be the party pooper and point out that this is a slightly absurd way of looking at living outside of EY.
Jewish people are meant to be celebrating the yamim tovim in their most natural place (EY) surrounded by their brethren. Not still keeping two days outside of EY surrounded by non jews.
I know I'll get heat for this, but it was important for me to say it.
Please don't lose sight of the ideal situation. Whether you follow the shita that you should be here but feel like you can't or follow a shita that says the time is not now, please let's not turn b'diavad into lechatchila.
It's been almost 20 years celebrating yamim tovim in EY. There is NO comparison.

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:46 am
Raisin wrote:
I love the second seder! We runa. huge community seder night 1, love being able to do a slower paced seder on night 2 when you are less exhausted. Smile

Also love gebrochts on the last day. Israeli chabadniks (do other chassidim do this?) miss out on it.

Every few years there is a Shmini shel Pesach, when the last day of Pesach falls on a Friday, so we are still eating Pesach food on Shabbos. Those years people eat gebrochts and kitniyot on Shabbos if they want to.

essie14

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 3:50 am
BatZion wrote:
I'm gonna be the party pooper and point out that this is a slightly absurd way of looking at living outside of EY.
Jewish people are meant to be celebrating the yamim tovim in their most natural place (EY) surrounded by their brethren. Not still keeping two days outside of EY surrounded by non jews.
I know I'll get heat for this, but it was important for me to say it.
Please don't lose sight of the ideal situation. Whether you follow the shita that you should be here but feel like you can't or follow a shita that says the time is not now, please let's not turn b'diavad into lechatchila.
It's been almost 20 years celebrating yamim tovim in EY. There is NO comparison.

Echoing this.
Keeping 2 days is not what Hashem envisioned when He wrote the Torah.
It's a major b'diavad.

Living here a long time and there's absolutely no comparison.

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:16 am
essie14 wrote:
Echoing this.
Keeping 2 days is not what Hashem envisioned when He wrote the Torah.
It's a major b'diavad.

Living here a long time and there's absolutely no comparison.

That's a little bit backwards. The Torah existed before the world, and the world was created according to the Torah. There is an extra spiritual energy infused into the days that the Torah defines as Chagim (or Atzeret, or Moed).

That energy is diminished and diffused across two days in chutz l'aretz. Its very far from the ideal.

juggling

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:29 am
Elfrida wrote:
Every few years there is a Shmini shel Pesach, when the last day of Pesach falls on a Friday, so we are still eating Pesach food on Shabbos. Those years people eat gebrochts and kitniyot on Shabbos if they want to.

Lol. But in any other year we can eat gebrochts and kitniyot AND CHAMETZ on the eighth day.

It is a little funny wishing for an eighth day of YT so you can have one more day of restrictions, just fewer of them.

HonesttoGod

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:36 am
Just going to point out that if the Torah believed the ONLY place was Israel that one should celebrate yt in it wouldn’t say about second day anywhere else.

But it does

So those of us who are NOT in Israel for one of the list of reasons that are perfectly 100% valid and no “bdieved”, 2nd day yt is beautiful and fun and nice and we love it and enjoy it with all we have because it is yt for us and we have the light and simcha and specialness that yt comes with for 2 days.

Personally there is nothing like 2nd Seder for me. I usually fall asleep mid 1st Seder so I get to actually do the full thing 2nd night.

juggling

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:41 am
Where does the Torah say you keep a second day in chul?

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 4:55 am
juggling wrote:
Where does the Torah say you keep a second day in chul?

We all know it's not written.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:04 am
There is more chol hamoed time for us in Israel but each to their own Smile

juggling

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:04 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
We all know it's not written.

The poster above me said it's written. I was wondering what she meant by that.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:14 am
juggling wrote:
I related to everything you're all saying when I lived in chul. However, I've been doing one day for over 20 years now. Once I made that switch I can't imagine wanting it any other way.

Exactly the same. 2 decades of one seder and Ive never looked back.
And its hard to imagine it positively if you enjoy 2, but until youve actually done it, one seder, dont knck it, fir thise that dont get how nice it truly is Smile

Elfrida

Post Thu, May 02 2024, 5:22 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
Just going to point out that if the Torah believed the ONLY place was Israel that one should celebrate yt in it wouldn’t say about second day anywhere else.

But it does

No it doesn't. Yom Tov Sheni shel Galuiyot came about because of the difficulty of accurately communicating the date of Tosh Chodesh to those communities that lived a long distance from Yerushalayim and the Beit haMikdash.

As a default status, they would have to assume that the previous month had 29 days, and would celebrate Rosh Chodesh on the thirtieth day. (Nowadays, even with a fixed calendar, the thirtieth day is always Rosh Chodesh, whether it is the last day if the old month, or the first day of the new one. Then, if necessary, the thirtyfirst day is also Rosh Chodesh, for the beginning of the new month.)

Pesach (for a topical example) would be celebrated fifteen days later. However, if, in Yerushalayim, they had only been able to perform Kiddush haChodesh on the 31st day, that would be the beginning of the new month, and Pesach would be a day later. Once the system of beacon fires had been abandoned, and they had to send out runners, it took time to inform the more distant communities, who then ran the risk of performing melacha on a day the Beit haMikdash had decreed to be Chag. To avoid that risk, they decreed that communities outside of Israel should keep two days.

It's never mentioned in the Torah.

Incidentally, its arguably an extreme view, but the Ramban argues that all mitzvot performed in chutz l'aretz are for practice so that we don't forget the Torah when we come home.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics