Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Switching to chalav Yisroel hard on the kids
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:41 pm
DH and I want to mak the switch but the kids are used to many chalav stam snacks and things is there a way to change over without making them hate the idea of it?

amother
Teal

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:49 pm
Do you live in an area where there is a lot of access to cy products?
I wouldn’t really know about switching since I’ve kept it my whole life but if there aren’t the options around like chocolate etc it might be very hard for them

mha3484

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:50 pm
How old are they?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 8:51 pm
amother Teal wrote:
Do you live in an area where there is a lot of access to cy products?
I wouldn’t really know about switching since I’ve kept it my whole life but if there aren’t the options around like chocolate etc it might be very hard for them

Yes. We can get basically anything. But we may not buy as much of it because it’s more expensive. And also, they know you can’t compare anything to a Reese’s bar or Breuer’s ice cream Wink also we buy a snack at Aldi called Swiss rolls. They like that, can’t find it in chalav Yisroel. Maybe I’ll just get for them to take to school but not way in the house as a way to transition

teachkids

Maybe start with cy in the house but snacks on the go are ok and see how that goes

amother
OP

mha3484 wrote:
How old are they?

12/10/6

mha3484

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:03 pm
For myself I started gradually. I’d buy CY for DH and the kids but out of the house I bought what I wanted and eventually I gave that up. But I needed to slowly get used to it.

tichellady

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:03 pm
Just do it yourself and let the kids make their own decision

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:04 pm
tichellady wrote:
Just do it yourself and let the kids make their own decision

But I’m buying the food for the house

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:04 pm
teachkids wrote:
Maybe start with cy in the house but snacks on the go are ok and see how that goes

Yes I was thinking this

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:05 pm
Does most of your community keep CY? Do most of your kids' classmates and friends keep it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:06 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
Does most of your community keep CY? Do most of your kids' classmates and friends keep it?

It’s split. Many do and many don’t.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:12 pm
amother OP wrote:
It’s split. Many do and many don’t.

In that case, I think resentment is more likely if you force them. I'd strongly consider making it something that you and your husband keep, but letting your kids do their own thing out of the home. They may gradually grow to prefer it, or not.

Also, is this just a one-off, or do you see it as part of a process of growth? It can be very difficult for kids when they feel like their parents are periodically getting stricter in what seem like arbitrary ways.

tichellady

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
But I’m buying the food for the house

So dinner etc will be chalav yisroel but they can have their regular snacks. Seems like a simple solution to me

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:18 pm
amother Buttercup wrote:
In that case, I think resentment is more likely if you force them. I'd strongly consider making it something that you and your husband keep, but letting your kids do their own thing out of the home. They may gradually grow to prefer it, or not.

Also, is this just a one-off, or do you see it as part of a process of growth? It can be very difficult for kids when they feel like their parents are periodically getting stricter in what seem like arbitrary ways.

Right but I’m buying the food. Definitely not mandating it at friends houses or outside. Just what I’m bringing into the home (school snacks).
No we aren’t getting stricter. We are always growing but growing doesn’t equal stricter. But this is something that we both value in our home

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:19 pm
tichellady wrote:
So dinner etc will be chalav yisroel but they can have their regular snacks. Seems like a simple solution to me

What do you mean? What regular snacks? School snacks? So then I’m buying chalav stam snacks which will be in my house.

amother
Buttercup

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
Right but I’m buying the food. Definitely not mandating it at friends houses or outside. Just what I’m bringing into the home (school snacks).

In that case, try to find some new exciting pareve or CY snacks or dessert recipes to have in abundance at home to compensate. They don't have to be the same as the cholov stam stuff, just tasty and exciting. There is a lot of creative kosher candy and stuff out there these days. Good luck!

amother
Begonia

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:25 pm
We did it
Take them and let them buy tons of nosh
That’s what people going kosher do
It works
Hugs and hatzlocha

amother
Grape

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:25 pm
amother OP wrote:
What do you mean? What regular snacks? School snacks? So then I’m buying chalav stam snacks which will be in my house.

Why can’t you have chalav stam snacks in your house? Just you and DH don’t eat them. I really don’t see the issue

tichellady

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:31 pm
amother OP wrote:

Right, because it’s a chumrah for you and your husband. So you won’t eat the things you don’t want to eat but your children can
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen