Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Living in Israel, do you keep1 or 2 days Yom Tov
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Do you keep 1 day or 2 days Yom Tov
We keep 1 day, as it it was & will be when Moshiach comes  
 82%  [ 48 ]
We live here temporarily so we keep 2 days  
 0%  [ 0 ]
We live here a long time but keep 2 days as plan on moving back  
 1%  [ 1 ]
We keep 1 day, we live in Israel & are vacationing out of the country  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Other, please comment  
 8%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 2:13 pm
amother Tomato wrote:
My rav holds if no concrete plan to move back then 1 day. We did that but then 6 weeks after we arrived, we decided we are here for good.

I don't understand the opinion of owning property. I am not so sure we ever will! The prices only go up and we can't afford it. We've been renting for 12 years. But we fully live here! We made aliya. We work here and all and are raising our family here.

Same here, we are not planning on buying a house ever, but we live here are fully integrated. We love it here. We enjoy renting its best for our natures and lifestyle.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 2:19 pm
Shuly wrote:
I chose option 1 but as lymnok says, I keep one day because of halacha. When we realized we were going to live here permanently, we were told by our Rav to keep one day.

We have Chabad and Sefardi relatives who keep one day even if they come to visit.
Ashkenazim only keep one day if they live here permanently - and as was written, different poskim have different definitions of permanent.

I heard something very powerful in in a shiur by Rebetzin Rena Tarshish. During the Gulf War, some people got scared and went back to chu"l during the war and only returned to EY when the war was over. There were poskim who told them that they now have to keep two days of yom tov - even those who owned their homes in Israel! - because by running "home" when they were scared, they proved that they did not consider EY to be their home.

Wow, this is fascinating! Thank you for sharing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 2:24 pm
amother Pear wrote:
I've been living here for years and only recently started keeping 1 day.
Many many people living here temporarily (for a couple of years- I know one here almost 10 years already!) that keep 2 days because they are planning on moving back.
There are also a lot of Rabbanim that tell people to keep 1.5 days if they aren't sure because it's a complicated psak. They are nervous about Bal Tosif and also about doing melacha on YT. Therefore the 1.5 day psak is that they can't do melacha the second day but it's not YT (no kiddush/YT davening etc)
And yes, I keep 1 day bc that was my psak not bc "it'll be like that when mashiach comes"

But yes, results are skewed because only 1 dayers can answer now:)

I never heard the 1.5 days before. I learned now that there is another option. Thank you for sharing.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 2:29 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
OP, I find this question kind of interesting. I wonder if you live in an area that attracts a lot of American kollel couples who are in Israel with the intention of it being temporary? Or if that's generally your social circle?

I live in a community of DL olim. We've had the occasional family come to live in our neighborhood for a sabbatical year or an Aliyah trial period. But most people I know move here as olim, with no intention of looking back. I don't know anyone who lives in Israel and keeps two days. There are minyanim in my area for second day, they are for tourists and students. For the most part I don't see people keeping Yom tov the second day, but when I do see them they stand out.

I don't experience anything like what you described in your OP.

Yes, guessed it. I used to live in a "English speaking" neighborhood. It was "settled" families long term kollel and workng families not short time kollel couples.

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:22 pm
I live in America, and I must say that I would never want to have one day Yom Tov!

Iyh when Moshiach comes I’d love it if we can do 2.

Especially shavuos!

amother
Glitter

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:39 pm
We lived in Israel for 3 years in Kollel and didn’t plan to make Aliya.
We kept one day when we were in Israel (and 2 days in chul) as per our psak.

shabbatiscoming

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:47 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
I live in America, and I must say that I would never want to have one day Yom Tov!

Iyh when Moshiach comes I’d love it if we can do 2.

Especially shavuos!

Dont knock it until youve tried it. Wink
Almost everyone I know who now keeps one day say they love it. Smile

doodlesmom

Post Tue, Apr 30 2024, 11:52 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
Dont knock it until youve tried it. Wink
Almost everyone I know who now keeps one day say they love it. Smile

Shabbos is one day! I know I ts over too soon!

From Yomtov we expect more than Shabbos! Especially with all he prep!

amother
DarkCyan

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 1:01 am
I kept one day for the 5+ years we lived in Israel and now in the US keep two and I miss keeping only one SO MUCH!!!

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 1:36 am
doodlesmom wrote:
Shabbos is one day! I know I ts over too soon!

From Yomtov we expect more than Shabbos! Especially with all he prep!

When you're only keeping one day there is less prep and less heavy meals.

From a halachic perspective, Yom Tov us on a slightly lower level than Shabbos - as indicated by the fact of only five aliyot, not seven (or six in Yom Kippur). Also Shabbos will remain eternally, while the way we approach the chagim and how and whether we celebrate them will change in the times of Mashiach.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 1:46 am
I'd love an extra week or so of pesach...

Feels so anticlimactic to spend weeks upending my house, and then a week later we're scrambling to put it all back together.

I totally understand what you're saying about Shavuot, it is a short holiday and, especially if you are into the all-night learning, the one day passes too quickly.

But one seder, one day of Yom tov at each end of both sukkot and pesach? Trust me, there's enough "holiday" happening with one day, I would never want to have to add more Yom tov.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 1:50 am
What abt 1 1/2 days????

I didn't read far enough to see if that is an optionw.

We lived in EY For 6 years and kept 2 days.

heidi

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:30 am
I once tried to return something to a gmach in Yerushalayim only to be told that they were keeping the second day of shavuot. They had been living here for 13 years, and had multiple children in schools here, but were still debating whether they were here to stay.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:51 am
amother Burlywood wrote:
What abt 1 1/2 days????

I didn't read far enough to see if that is an optionw.

We lived in EY For 6 years and kept 2 days.

Someone mentioned it. It's very interesting, I never heard of the 1.5 day option before.

amother
OP

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 5:58 am
heidi wrote:
I once tried to return something to a gmach in Yerushalayim only to be told that they were keeping the second day of shavuot. They had been living here for 13 years, and had multiple children in schools here, but were still debating whether they were here to stay.

I have heard of such cases as well, that's why I asked the question. It's interesting to learn from everyone.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:09 am
I have never been to Israel for Yom tov but my kids in Yeshiva/seminary were told to only keep one day. (chabad). However, my daugter told me some friends were told to keep 2.

Makes the most sense to me logically.

Also, the psak to keep one day if you own an apartment just encourages people to buy apartments that will stay empty most of the year.

Seems like one psak for the rich, one for the poor...

Israeli friends in our community were told they could only keep one day but not do malacha in public (or private...not sure how it worked) and of course they couldn't buy chametz...so they came to shul because nothing else to do.

Elfrida

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:20 am
Raisin wrote:
Israeli friends in our community were told they could only keep one day but not do malacha in public (or private...not sure how it worked) and of course they couldn't buy chametz...so they came to shul because nothing else to do.

You can't do melacha in public, but can do it בחדרי חדרים. But you can't do things like switch a light on, because that can be seen in public.

Going to shul is questionable, because it would have been the wrong davening.

They don't nake kiddush, and d aren't obligated in seudat chag.

Raisin

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 6:25 am
Elfrida wrote:
You can't do melacha in public, but can do it בחדרי חדרים. But you can't do things like switch a light on, because that can be seen in public.

Going to shul is questionable, because it would have been the wrong davening.

They don't nake kiddush, and d aren't obligated in seudat chag.

She said they weren't using their phones, or cooking (they only have a plata). The only thing she said she did was wash up the regular way. They are chareidi, DL people I know definitely do malacha at home.

I think they just came to shul for the kiddush etc. not to actually daven. Presumably they davened beforehand.

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:05 am
Ok, another thing.

I think Rabbi Glatstein said something about having two days of YT. (Or maybe it was something else???) Zecher legalus when mashiach comes.
I was turning over my kitchen and not listening intently.

Could someone listen to this shiurim, it's one I listened to, and tell us where he mentioned zecher legalus?? Could be it was a different one.

Unless I was hallucinating.

R' Daniel Glatstein

THE SEDER OF MOSHIACH

https://torahanytime.com/lectures/294227
TorahAnytime Links

📹 Video https://MyTaT.me/v294227

🎤 Audio https://MyTaT.me/a294227

☎️ Dial In (718)-298-2077
Press 9294227#

Isramom8

Post Wed, May 01 2024, 9:17 am
Shuly wrote:
I chose option 1 but as lymnok says, I keep one day because of halacha. When we realized we were going to live here permanently, we were told by our Rav to keep one day.

We have Chabad and Sefardi relatives who keep one day even if they come to visit.
Ashkenazim only keep one day if they live here permanently - and as was written, different poskim have different definitions of permanent.

I heard something very powerful in in a shiur by Rebetzin Rena Tarshish. During the Gulf War, some people got scared and went back to chu"l during the war and only returned to EY when the war was over. There were poskim who told them that they now have to keep two days of yom tov - even those who owned their homes in Israel! - because by running "home" when they were scared, they proved that they did not consider EY to be their home.

After October 7, a lot of Israelis went to chutz laaretz, whether Cyprus, Georgia the country or the US etc. for a while because they felt it would be calmer for their families. I think everyone has to do what works for them and do not deserve to be bullied for it. They didn't prove that they don't consider EY to be their home. They proved that they considered their family's physical well being and mental health seriously.
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions