Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
WWYD? Is this even a shaila?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:47 pm
Back story -- I'm a BT, been making Pesach for decades, started by scrupulously following DH "rules", and over time, gradually discovered that sometimes, his way involved a lot of work that isn't required. Bit by bit (with his permission), I've asked shailas or made changes, and Pesach has become much more manageable.

My current thought is about putting away Pesach storage containers. We have some good quality plastic containers for Pesach.

Till now, I transferred all leftover food in the fridge into Ziplocs, then, after the Pesach stuff was all cleaned and put away, transferred the food from the bags into my year round containers.

But that's a lot of work, and a lot of waste.

Is it reasonable, after Pesach, to carefully transfer the food, one item at a time, from Pesach containers directly to the year round ones, then wash and put away the Pesach ones before taking anything else out?

How do you handle leftovers and containers?

amother
Ruby

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:49 pm
We often just keep leftovers in ziplock bags. Why not get some disposable containers you can use for that time or just keep it in bags.

amother
Acacia

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:50 pm
Can you transfer them to foil pans and keep them in those?

amother
Tan

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:50 pm
I would not do what you are suggesting.

chestnut

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:51 pm
I use tinfoil pans

Sebastian

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:51 pm
we use ziplocs or disposable containers

ra_mom

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:52 pm
Line the pesach containers with clear food storage plastic bags before putting in your food. This will make your life easier when transferring from one container to another, and also when cleaning the containers to put away for next year pesach.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:53 pm
I personally use disposable containers. I do usually reuse them over Pesach but whatever is still in containers once Pesach is over remains in containers. I actually don't store any containers from year to year. I buy new containers each Pesach. The only things I save are a mason jar for the grated horseradish and a Rubbermaid pitcher for freshly squeezed juice.

zaq

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:55 pm
As long as the food is cold and you're careful not to splash or let the Pesach utensil touch the chometzdik one, there is no problem. I'm assuming the sink in which you wash the Pesach containers is still Pesachdik.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 10:58 pm
I don't see why it's a problem. you can just do it at a clean table away from the pesach dishes.
I personally use reusable disposables - like those takeout containers that are 25 cents each. I save them for next pesach but if I have soup or whatever in them, I will often just keep the container for year round after pesach.

amother
Stoneblue

Post Sat, Apr 27 2024, 11:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Back story -- I'm a BT, been making Pesach for decades, started by scrupulously following DH "rules", and over time, gradually discovered that sometimes, his way involved a lot of work that isn't required. Bit by bit (with his permission), I've asked shailas or made changes, and Pesach has become much more manageable.

My current thought is about putting away Pesach storage containers. We have some good quality plastic containers for Pesach.

Till now, I transferred all leftover food in the fridge into Ziplocs, then, after the Pesach stuff was all cleaned and put away, transferred the food from the bags into my year round containers.

But that's a lot of work, and a lot of waste.

Is it reasonable, after Pesach, to carefully transfer the food, one item at a time, from Pesach containers directly to the year round ones, then wash and put away the Pesach ones before taking anything else out?

How do you handle leftovers and containers?

So, youre right. If everythings cold and your chometz pot is presumabely clean, not sure what the problem is.....

That being said, I have this deep seated aversion to chometz and pesach in close proximity and have never considered pouring soup from my pesach pot into mychometz pot . I transfer into disposables and leave as chometz

essie14

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 1:14 am
amother Stoneblue wrote:
So, youre right. If everythings cold and your chometz pot is presumabely clean, not sure what the problem is.....

That being said, I have this deep seated aversion to chometz and pesach in close proximity and have never considered pouring soup from my pesach pot into mychometz pot . I transfer into disposables and leave as chometz

Me too.
I use good quality reusable containers in the beginning of Pesach. But by the 5th day, we phase those out and food goes into the cheap disposable containers so I can wash and put away everything else.
I want to be able to leave my leftovers in the fridge after I turn over. I don't allow any chametz stuff in the kitchen until the pesach stuff is 100% put away, for my own sanity.

amother
Orange

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 3:24 am
Yes, it's fine. Your year-round containers are presumably clean so no chametz could possibly fall or splash into your Pesach containers.
Just lay a towel down on your counter and place the chametz containers on it when transferring the food.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 3:48 am
I wouldn’t. The cost of a few disposable pans is worth my sanity rather than having chometz and Pesach in the same kitchen at the same time.

Shoshana Rose

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 4:12 am
put a plastic/ziplock bag etc. in the chometz container and pour in the pesach leftover.

amother
Petunia

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 6:32 am
I'm almost embarrassed to say I do it every year. From both pots and containers. Take a disposable spoon, stick the chametz pot or container on the counter or floor and spoon everything carefully in. Then put the Pesach pot/container in the still Pesach sink to wash. I am very careful no Pesach pot/container goes where the chometz pot/container was.

zaq

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 8:04 am
amother Petunia wrote:
I'm almost embarrassed to say I do it every year.

Why embarrassed? It's not a mitzvah to use disposables. The way the planet is going, it may soon be a mitzvah not to. And what do you think people did before there were disposables?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 10:22 am
Thanks, I saw from here that it might be a question, so I asked my rav, who said it was fine. YMMV.

funkyfrummom

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 11:13 am
I didn't realize people end with so many leftovers in the fridge. We don't usually have much remaining at all...

In general, though, we use disposable aluminum and less expensive storage containers (if they still had something in it I would just let it "transition" and become year-round). We also use the plastic fridge liners (we don't line inside of fridge in aluminum/other plastic/cardboard)... so we just leave the liners and replace them next year.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Apr 28 2024, 1:06 pm
We buy a lot of new disposable plastic containers/drainers etc each pesach and then keep them for the year. By the next pesach they are usually all ready to be destroyed after 12 months of hard use, so we cycle these things each year- reduces pesach storage and gives a routine to the kitchen utensils. Highly recommended- a system that can't go wrong. I have a list of things that need ordering from Amazon /online 6 weeks before pesach and a reminder to do this on my calendar.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics