Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cincinnati

amother
OP

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 11:33 am
Hey can anyone provide information about living in Cincinnati?

The job market, the housing, the chinuch, how the vouchers for tuition work...

Thank you!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:43 pm
That's very vague and hard without a back and forth conversation.
Job market for what? Credentials or experience in any specific field?

Housing isn't plentiful but there are always a few options and everyone does end up somewhere...

2 elementary schools, boys mesivta and girls high school. I love my kids' school. I think I've counted 7 schools I've sent my kids to and I have to honestly admit the elementary my kids are in is my favorite. Very well run, always tweaking and willing to hear from parents, we work together vs other places where I felt there was no one to talk to. Master mechanchim that I've asked personal chinuch dilemmas to for advice, even if they were outside the school setting. You can say I'm biased because I work there but I'm not paid to say this and I don't have to in order to keep my job 😉. I didn't feel like this years ago when I was hired, but it's my current sentiment. The administrators are seriously taking into consideration what is best for each and every student.

Tuition vouchers are hard to explain al regel achas. Most of the frum community lives in neighborhoods that qualify based on income now, which is 450% of the federal poverty level to get the full amount (6166 in elementary for this coming year), after that is a sliding scale. There's a newer neighborhood starting up that qualifies based on the location, no matter income level.

Additionally, if you are at or below 200% of the FPL, remainder of tuition cannot be charged by the school, though there may be school fees that can still be assessed.

Hope this is a starting point but it's really not a good, full picture, and anyone seriously considering the community should check it out for themselves.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:25 pm
I've been living in Cincinnati for almost 5 years now. Housing is tricky but you can find a place. The community is amazing, you become part of a family. My kids are so excited going to school and coming home about their day!

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:55 pm
A group of rebbeim came from CHDS to visit my boys school and I heard the most amazing things.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 3:54 pm
mha3484 wrote:
A group of rebbeim came from CHDS to visit my boys school and I heard the most amazing things.

Yes, it was such an amazing experience on both sides!!

amother
Obsidian

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 4:09 pm
I live there as well. Opinion questions you are probably best getting answered privately. Hy gave you a good factual overview.
I will warn you that the "turnover" feel s high. It can be due to special need child or job...not saying it's communitys fault but it definitely feels high...

mha3484

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 6:25 pm
Ohio as a whole, because its a red state, has a lot fewer resources for learning and attention issues let alone more intense needs. I have a friend in cinci who loves it but really struggles with lack of services. So if thats something you see yourself needing do a lot of research.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 8:31 pm
amother Obsidian wrote:
I live there as well. Opinion questions you are probably best getting answered privately. Hy gave you a good factual overview.
I will warn you that the "turnover" feel s high. It can be due to special need child or job...not saying it's communitys fault but it definitely feels high...

I spent a little while thinking about this to myself.
While there's turnover, I don't think it's abnormally high but being in a smaller community, you notice it more.
I think our school had 6 families move (many of whom were older families and not ones who made the wrong decision in community choice) out of town this past year. More than that joined. The school continues to grow which means the community is growing and thereby retaining the majority of people that choose to come and do research to see if it fits what they're looking for. If you want to takeout pizza for Sunday lunch, Cincinnati 2024 isn't the community that will fit your needs. If you know your child has extensive special education needs, you can't compare to what you can get in NY. I definitely recommend coming and really seeing the community and asking about what matters to you.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 6:26 am
I think smaller communities also have more turnover. It comes with the territory so to speak. In a place like Brooklyn for example if you are a principal you can switch to a different frum school either in Brooklyn or you can travel to other neighboring frum communities. That's not true for small community. So that principal will be moving out. That's just an obvious example.

amother
Obsidian

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 6:32 am
mha3484 wrote:
Ohio as a whole, because its a red state, has a lot fewer resources for learning and attention issues let alone more intense needs. I have a friend in cinci who loves it but really struggles with lack of services. So if thats something you see yourself needing do a lot of research.

There's also less therapy in school. The criteria to get through the board of ed is much stricter so you need to be prepared to take your child for therapy by yourself and pay if you don't have Medicaid.... They tried to get an ot that would go through insurance so at least parents didn't have to commute but in the end I don't think it worked out or lasted long, not sure. There's no board if ed ot or pt at the school. Possibly there is speech.

mha3484

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 8:13 am
My son was getting OT when the rebbeim from CHDS came to see the sensory room. Its not something that most schools have in smaller communities. I also live in the midwest, but in a blue state that is in between, ie not as generous as NY but offers way more then a red state. It also costs 3x a much to live here so like everything in life its a big trade off. It would be a real shame if someone moved just to find out that their needs cant be meant so thats why I always encourage people to ask a lot of questions and make sure your fine with that.

This isnt unique to Ohio, I know people in FL and Indiana who had similar issues. Its more a red state vs blue state issue.

dena613

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 8:16 am
A sensory room in school?? Wow!!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Apr 26 2024, 8:25 am
dena613 wrote:
A sensory room in school?? Wow!!!

Baltimore also has schools with it...

It's a dream of ours to have but space is at a premium. We really need to expand if anyone know$ how to make that happen 😂
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating