Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Feeding goldfish on pesach ?

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 10:27 pm
What should we feed our goldfish ? Our son got him at his birthday party as part of a magic trick. That was 7 months ago. He’s still alive and happy . We’ve actually grown quite fond of him and don’t want him to die. We were away the first days and our neighbor came in and fed him matzah crumbs becuase she said our fish food is not kosher for pesach . Does anyone know what we can feed him for the next six days? We don’t want him to die.

OceanRider

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 10:28 pm
I feed them freeze dried shrimp

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 10:31 pm
Blood worms. They also can munch on veggies such as hearts of palm, zucchini and romaine lettuce

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:25 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:
Blood worms. They also can munch on veggies such as hearts of palm, zucchini and romaine lettuce

So if I put in romaine lettuce and zuchinni for 6 days he can stay healthy with that ?

hodeez

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:31 pm
My rabbi said the regular food is fine

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:31 pm
Our fish didn’t touch any of the vegetables and died a day after pessach from overeating.
It’s almost the first yahrtzeit Sad

613mitzvahgirl

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:32 pm
We gave our goldfish matzoh meal- very little and you know what they lived two years after that..

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Apr 24 2024, 11:48 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
So if I put in romaine lettuce and zuchinni for 6 days he can stay healthy with that ?

I would google all these options before trying ! Have heard matza isn't good for them but people do it... We have the freeze dried shrimp..wonder if you can get it from Amazon overnight

Elfrida

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 12:57 am
My friend gives the bloodworm.

Other friends used to own a shop where they sold pet fish. They sold bloodworms for anyone who wanted them, but they just didn't feed their fish for the week. The fish got through Pesach perfectly well without any food. Its hard for us to imagine not eating daily, but cold blooded creatures, including fish, can very comfortably go for longer periods without eating.

BadTichelDay

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 3:04 am
Bloodworms. We have a pet store near us that sells chametz free pet food around Pesach (in Israel). They sold us a small can of dried blood worms when we had goldfish. They loved it, it wasn't expensive and we used the surplus up after Pesach.

mommy3b2c

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 12:30 pm
I ordered bloodworms. They won’t come till tomorrow and possibly not till after Shabbos starts which means we can’t give to him till motzai Shabbos . Will he be okay till then ? I put some lettuce in the water but he hasn’t eaten it .

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 12:33 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
I ordered bloodworms. They won’t come till tomorrow and possibly not till after Shabbos starts which means we can’t give to him till motzai Shabbos . Will he be okay till then ? I put some lettuce in the water but he hasn’t eaten it .

Better to wait for it to come. Goldfish generally die from overeating, they can go a bit without food.

amother
Yellow

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 1:41 pm
Technically goldfish can survive 8 days without food. They are very resilient. But they are probably suffering.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Apr 25 2024, 2:09 pm
Goldfish should be fed 2-3 times a week.
All fish should get food similar in size to their eye in each feeding.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics